ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
astolt12, can I have your old one? :D

Sorry you had to go through so much. Let's look at it from Fords stand point. Just to play Devils advocate....
If I went in and complained and a new motor was installed they would have dropped about $10K for a problem that eventually went away. How many others here have had the tick but it eventually went away? How many thousands of cars sold had the tick, but went away?
See where I'm going with this? A small issue that works itself out sometimes can almost bankrupt a company. I can see why they push back.
But this should have never been a problem in the first place. This motor has been in production cars since '11. Congrats on winning the battle. But let's not celebrate until we hear #2 crank up!
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Not sure I'm buying the tolerance stackup and oil cavitation thing....

If this were the case, I'd expect more of a rod/main knock kind of a sound (which is more muted), and not an exhaust-leak-esque sound.

Hopefully I won't have the same luck when I change oil in mine for the first time in the next couple of weeks....

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Not sure I'm buying the tolerance stackup and oil cavitation thing....

If this were the case, I'd expect more of a rod/main knock kind of a sound (which is more muted), and not an exhaust-leak-esque sound.

Hopefully I won't have the same luck when I change oil in mine for the first time in the next couple of weeks....
I'm not sure I buy the oil cavitation theory either. Maybe air bubbles in the oil (maybe from oil level being too high?), but not due to cavitation.

And they mentioned adding "[FONT=&quot]XL-17 or carbon powder to thicken the oil[FONT=&quot]" ... so does that mean 5W-20 is really too thin [FONT=&quot]and some engines with looser [FONT=&quot]tolerances[/FONT] are more sensitive and tick[FONT=&quot]?

[FONT=&quot]And still, why would some engines start ticking after an oil change, and some that are ticking [FONT=&quot]have the ticking go away after some mile[FONT=&quot]s? Oil tends to [FONT=&quot]get thic[FONT=&quot]ker with use and is thinner when new, so maybe that is [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]w[/FONT]hy the ticking co[FONT=&quot]uld go away with miles, then show back up with an fresh oi[FONT=&quot]l change.

[FONT=&quot]I still thi[FONT=&quot]nk anyon[FONT=&quot]e with the ticking should [FONT=&quot]try 5W-30 and see if that cures the ticking.[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I was thinking about 5W-30 mainly because I have about 20 quarts left over from what I was using in my prior vehicle but also to see if it could help improve what I perceived as ticking. Seems to now be intermittent or has stopped. Still monitoring this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
I was thinking about 5W-30 mainly because I have about 20 quarts left over from what I was using in my prior vehicle but also to see if it could help improve what I perceived as ticking. Seems to now be intermittent or has stopped. Still monitoring this.
The ticking "slowed" down as the oil got thicker. Then I had it changed again at the local ford dealership. Immediately the car was ticking again. They used 5w20 Motocraft Synthetic on both.

I never got the chance to try 5w30 although i do believe it would have helped. But at the end of day the engine has something wrong with it that I believe will never go away even "with time."

if you can get it to tick, get it documented at the dealer. Its only going to help you in time. In GA i had 2 years or 24k to declare a lemon. I'm not out quite yet and depending on how the new engine runs I may still file a lemon. Just something about a brand new engine in a 6 month old car that doesnt seem right.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Sounds like timing chain.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Sounds like timing chain.
I thought so at first and they inspected it. The only issue I don't believe its a timing chain is the sound becomes less prominent the more miles you put on the car from the date of the oil change.

Went back for the 2nd oil change in the car and right away, it came right back. Certainly they never touched the chain.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought so at first and they inspected it. The only issue I don't believe its a timing chain is the sound becomes less prominent the more miles you put on the car from the date of the oil change.

Went back for the 2nd oil change in the car and right away, it came right back. Certainly they never touched the chain.
I still think it's because the 5W-20 oil is too thin, and some cars are sensitive to the oil viscosity. Oil usually thickens up some with mileage, and that would explain why the noise slowly goes away as miles pile up on the oil, then instantly comes back with a fresh oil change.

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Small update:

Brand new longblock was installed and just got the car back this past wednesday. Initial observations are that things look good. The car doesnt tick, have that weird metallic grinding/puffing sound at idle and is throwing down slightly better MPG. Total time from declaration to new long block installed - 2 weeks.

I'm still 'breaking' the engine in (again) varying RPMs and shifting no more than 4K. Only have about 150 miles on the new block and will progressively work it harder as the mileage increases. Too soon to tell anything about oil consumption but fortunately it has been relatively seamless.

It still has a lot of time to go before I believe nothing will be wrong with the major milestone being the first oil change to me. One can imagine how gunshy I might be. I still do not fully buy the "cavitation of the oil" explanation and wish I truly knew so we as a forum could have an answer but for now the sound is gone.

Will post more when I crest the 1000 mile mark.

I hope this entire post has been helpful for some people on what needs to happen to have Ford listen. If anyone is experiencing the same issue, feel free to PM me.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^^^ Good news that this long block seemed to fix the problem. I can't imagine that Ford doesn't know what the problem is, but it's even more puzzling that it seems nobody can give a straight and accurate cause of the BBQ ticking phenomenon.

Jakebiscamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Did you ever have any loss in power or anything like that? I have a tick. It's kinda similar. But it's constant. It doesn't skip like yours did

OP
OP
astolt12

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
Did you ever have any loss in power or anything like that? I have a tick. It's kinda similar. But it's constant. It doesn't skip like yours did
Can you snag a video and post it? Does it sound bottom end or top end of the engine?

I can't say I noticed any loss in power. It just was annoying AF. There were other issue so that I could hear at idle that just sounded wrong with the engine.

Jakebiscamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Definitely bottom end. I have a video. Don't know how to post it. Let me see lol

Jakebiscamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Sponsored