2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Thank you for the more detailed explanation bluebeastsrt
Sponsored

Agent_Kay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT
I'm located in central California and have been to Button willow, Auto Club Speedway, and Willow Springs with my bolt on non PP GT. Willow springs was the hottest event at triple digits toward the last session. I did see some high temps down the front straight (235). I did have some brake fade after the long straights as well

What are your guys' recommendations on pads and fluid for brakes?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I'm located in central California and have been to Button willow, Auto Club Speedway, and Willow Springs with my bolt on non PP GT. Willow springs was the hottest event at triple digits toward the last session. I did see some high temps down the front straight (235). I did have some brake fade after the long straights as well

I would just use Hawk pads and maybe some amsoil 600 series fluid for a cheap set-up. I found a link you might find helpful that I saved to my favorites a while ago. It compares all the major racing brake fluids on one chart.

https://www.lelandwest.com/brake-fluid-comparison-chart.cfm

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline

I would try and talk to Anthony@HTM about what works best. He does a lot of road course racing in California and happens to be an AMSOIL dealer.

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I plan on getting my GT in the Spring. I'm trying to debate between a base and PP. I live 5 mins from Mid-Ohio and hope to be using the car on track a few days next spring/fall.

How is the base on the road course. Seems everyone has the PP, but then changes all of the PP stuff (suspension-wise). Is the PP that much better than a base on the road course?

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
I plan on getting my GT in the Spring. I'm trying to debate between a base and PP. I live 5 mins from Mid-Ohio and hope to be using the car on track a few days next spring/fall.

How is the base on the road course. Seems everyone has the PP, but then changes all of the PP stuff (suspension-wise). Is the PP that much better than a base on the road course?
Stock PP vs Stock Base

The PP will be much better over the base for various reasons:

1. Wider summer(shitty) tires over the skinny All season tires.

2. The base springs are much softer than the PP springs, hence the base feels like a boat when turning.

3. The shorter gear ratios of the PP are better for road course and much more responsive over the base 3.31 gears

4. The 6 piston brake calipers have a great pedal feel and stop good considering the car's weight

5. The selectable driver mods are a plus vs the no option for the base.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
1. I got that
2. I could/would get lowering springs (BMR), anyway
3. I've heard mixed feelings on this
4. They are touchy. I liked them on the one I test drove
5. Selectable drive modes on PP even if it isn't premium? I thought selectable was only on premium.

dontlifttoshift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The brakes are worth it by themselves. Really.

I understand mid ohio can be hard on brakes, never been there, but we have run at Putnam, Gingerman, and PittRace all on stock pads without issue. Maybe that's because we are slow but we could burn up a set of XP12s at Gingerman in a day on the S197.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
I took my 2011 GT Premium to a couple HPDE events and it worked quite well even on the crappy all season tires. It is actually good for beginners as the tires make a lot of noise before they give up!

Only mod I had was a Ford Racing tune and one of the events was in 95+ summer days.

Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
1. I got that
2. I could/would get lowering springs (BMR), anyway
3. I've heard mixed feelings on this
4. They are touchy. I liked them on the one I test drove
5. Selectable drive modes on PP even if it isn't premium? I thought selectable was only on premium.
The mixed feelings on the rear end ratio is mainly for those that autocross, as second gear is limited speed wise for the national level courses.

On a road course, 3.73 will be desirable.

And you won't get adjustable throttle response, or pairings, like in the premium, but the base PP has adjustable steering, and the stability/traction modes.

The brakes are worth it by themselves. Really.

I understand mid ohio can be hard on brakes, never been there, but we have run at Putnam, Gingerman, and PittRace all on stock pads without issue. Maybe that's because we are slow but we could burn up a set of XP12s at Gingerman in a day on the S197.
This, and Mid O is hard on brakes. I'd only consider a non PP car if you were specifically building an autocross car.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
The mixed feelings on the rear end ratio is mainly for those that autocross, as second gear is limited speed wise for the national level courses.

On a road course, 3.73 will be desirable.

And you won't get adjustable throttle response, or pairings, like in the premium, but the base PP has adjustable steering, and the stability/traction modes.

This, and Mid O is hard on brakes. I'd only consider a non PP car if you were specifically building an autocross car.
Plan is for a base PP car in the spring, so I'm ok with that. I'd love a premium, but I guess we will see what shows up when I'm ready to buy. I will definitely hit up M-O when I get it.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Plan is for a base PP car in the spring, so I'm ok with that. I'd love a premium, but I guess we will see what shows up when I'm ready to buy. I will definitely hit up M-O when I get it.
I have a base PP and I think the options are fine, albeit with 3 features that are missing strangely...

Heated seats
sat radio
heated side mirrors

but strangely has some i didn't expect:

auto dimming rearview
push button start
comfort turn signal
rear view camera

I'd like to have the premium, but 4k is crazy.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I have a base PP and I think the options are fine, albeit with 3 features that are missing strangely...

Heated seats
sat radio
heated side mirrors

but strangely has some i didn't expect:

auto dimming rearview
push button start
comfort turn signal
rear view camera

I'd like to have the premium, but 4k is crazy.
Yes, 4k for the other stuff is nuts. Now if I can find a 15 premium PP in Comp Orange, I'll snag it up, but I'm thinking the base will be enough. I wish the base had the premium rear diffuser, though. At least on the PP cars.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yes, 4k for the other stuff is nuts. Now if I can find a 15 premium PP in Comp Orange, I'll snag it up, but I'm thinking the base will be enough. I wish the base had the premium rear diffuser, though. At least on the PP cars.
I agree the diffuser looks better. I'll end up plastidipping mine to see if I want it painted professionally.
Sponsored