xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Major step today!!

I got functional front CV axles installed in the car for the first time. I decided to make some welded axles for the initial shakedown runs. I will machine some from scratch and spline them over the winter.

Everything looks good so far. I am beyond excited.

Next step is finalizing the front driveshaft and getting the exhaust to clear it.

Tim

IMG_4901.jpg
IMG_4902.jpg
IMG_4904.jpg
IMG_4905.jpg
IMG_4907.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
New video is out. It is short one covering the steering shaft and diff gear change.

Check it out!!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
This is a very cool build, been following and can’t wait to see the final product. Any more sites/magazines reach out to you for an article write up?

I wonder if anyone at Ford is following your build and taking notes. LOL!

Sponsored

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Lighter than I thought it would be.

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Lighter than I thought it would be.
Me too, I was dreading that it would be over 4000lbs. I have 20+ lbs of weight savings already planned with my swap to two piece front rotors. That will get me under 3900 lbs. These things weight over 3700 lbs stock and just swapping to a T56 magnum adds between 30 and 50 lbs.

Anybody have any data on that? Has anybody weighed their stang before and after a T56 Magnum XL swap? Maybe I should ask that over in the drivetrain forum.

Everything is now in the car. I am very behind on the videos, but the car is driving now in AWD mode!! I got the AWD controller working over the last weekend and all seems good. I am VERY rapidly running out of season here in Minnesota, but I think I have a few weeks left. This weekend is suppose to be OK and I am going to really try and put the car through its paces.

4wd for the win!!
Tim

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
I am VERY rapidly running out of season here in Minnesota
Is there a season for four-wheel drive vehicles? 🤔
That's just one of the intended purposes. 😜
Preserve the underbody (including the cavities), put winter wheels on, and off you go. ☃

I'm myself just already on Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (Pilot Sport 4S in summer), no idea if they are available in the US. Even have snow chains lying around, that fit the 275/40R19 on the rear (RUD Centrax N893, actually intended for a tour to the North Cape)...

Last edited:

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I am sorry but I am going to insist on a 4 wheel Smokey burnout pic or preferably video ASAP!
Any wheel hop on the front end under aggressive power?

Sponsored
OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Is there a season for four-wheel drive vehicles? 🤔
That's just one of the intended purposes. 😜
Preserve the underbody (including the cavities), put winter wheels on, and off you go. ☃

I'm myself just already on Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (Pilot Sport 4S in summer), no idea if they are available in the US. Even have snow chains lying around, that fit the 275/40R19 on the rear (RUD Centrax N893, actually intended for a tour to the North Cape)...
I agree with everything you said:)

Long term the goal is to have the car be a 3 season car in MN if that makes sense. Basically April - Nov/Dec. The problem is not the snow, it is the SALT. Until the car is "done", I don't want to get it caked in salt and start rusting.

As you point out "Preserve the underbody (including the cavities)", once it is "done", I want to put some of the oil (or lanolin ?) based rust protectors on the car, but I don't want that on there until I am done modding, welding, etc.

Plus, I currently only have Continental Extreme Contact Sport summer tires and I am not quite ready to spend the cash on an all season setup. Next fall for sure.

Does that make sense?

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
I am sorry but I am going to insist on a 4 wheel Smokey burnout pic or preferably video ASAP!
Any wheel hop on the front end under aggressive power?
Soon my friend:)

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
AWD Mustang would be a riot on snow covered roads. It's avoiding the salt to get to the snowpack roads that would suck!
Exactly, I am not quite ready to cover it in salt.

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
I present to you, the worlds first AWD S550 Mustang!!

stang1.jpg

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt