Sponsored

anyone put a cold air kit on yet on GT? how is it?

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
The quick and dirty breakdown:

[ame]

[ame]
Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So, If i buy a JLT CAI which requires a tune and I want to install it myself in my garage, would I not be able to drive the car 10 minutes to my nearest performance shop to get it tuned without damaging the engine? I would say the shop is probably 5 miles from my house.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
So, If i buy a JLT CAI which requires a tune and I want to install it myself in my garage, would I not be able to drive the car 10 minutes to my nearest performance shop to get it tuned without damaging the engine? I would say the shop is probably 5 miles from my house.
Whichever CAI you go with, why not drive to your shop first and install it in their parking lot/shop that way you're all ready to be tuned?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
You don't need a shop to install the tune, it's a very simple task that requires some attention to the instructions, software, and making sure to have a battery charger connected to the car during the install.

Whichever CAI you go with, why not drive to your shop first and install it in their parking lot/shop that way you're all ready to be tuned?

This of course is the simplest approach.

Sponsored

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You don't need a shop to install the tune, it's a very simple task that requires some attention to the instructions, software, and making sure to have a battery charger connected to the car during the install.

This of course is the simplest approach.
I was talking about if I wanted a dyno tune.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I would install at the dyno shop, a cai isn't involved at all,

you really don't need to spend the $$ on a dyno, especially for an n/a car, with all the tech we have now and the built in wide bands, we can do a tune for you that should be near perfect out of the gate, and a simple wot pull on the street will verify the tuning

and you save lots of $

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
There seems to be a big disconnect here. Nobody is saying simply installing a CAI will blow up your engine.

There are two different distinct types of cold air intakes: those that have the same MAF housing as stock and those with larger MAF housings. You can install a CAI on your car without a tune as long as the MAF housing is the same as stock. Won't be worth much other than sound and underhood bling, but it won't cause any issues. If that is the route you two have gone then cool.

If the MAF housing is larger than stock and you don't have a tune for it, you will get a CEL almost immediately and will have a very poor running engine(surging, stalling) because the PCM is seeing a much smaller airflow signal through the MAF than it is really getting. When the wideband O2 sensors see this large discrepancy the CEL is lit.

If you guys are trying to say the MAF housing size doesn't matter and you never need a tune, you are wrong. If that isn't what you are saying perhaps you could be a little more clear with exactly what you have done with your vehicles.

Thanks for the backup but I'm not trying to be right here, just hoping we are all on the same page. :thumbsup:
Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I'm not talking about messing with the MAF Housing or anything like that. I guess there's CAI's that have that. All I'm saying is getting rid of the stock air box & inlet tube and bolting up a CAI...that's all. Didn't mean to ruffle any bodies feathers...I've done quite a few CAI's, just bolted them on & drove the crap out of it!

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I'm not talking about messing with the MAF Housing or anything like that. I guess there's CAI's that have that. All I'm saying is getting rid of the stock air box & inlet tube and bolting up a CAI...that's all. Didn't mean to ruffle any bodies feathers...I've done quite a few CAI's, just bolted them on & drove the crap out of it!

The MAF housing is integrated into the CAI itself. This is an image of the S197 Steeda CAI. The silver part in the center is the MAF housing and you can see the sensor in the bottom. Some CAI's keep this the stock diameter to eliminate the need for a tune, but this limits the power increases to essentially nothing(less than 5hp give or take). Most however, including Steeda and JLT among others, increase the diameter of this part to increase airflow. Correcting for this in the tune is very simple but very important.

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
The MAF housing is integrated into the CAI itself. This is an image of the S197 Steeda CAI. The silver part in the center is the MAF housing and you can see the sensor in the bottom. Some CAI's keep this the stock diameter to eliminate the need for a tune, but this limits the power increases to essentially nothing(less than 5hp give or take). Most however, including Steeda and JLT among others, increase the diameter of this part to increase airflow. Correcting for this in the tune is very simple but very important.

A picture is worth a thousand words! Man, that's bad ass looking! Thanks!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Hey guys. I just got a 2015 mustang gt with the PP. Im trying to do some mods like CAI and tune for now.What brand is best and also what tune should i get. Thanks

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
Hey guys. I just got a 2015 mustang gt with the PP. Im trying to do some mods like CAI and tune for now.What brand is best and also what tune should i get. Thanks
jlt cai and our tune