Sponsored

anyone put a cold air kit on yet on GT? how is it?

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
IF you install a CAI without a tune, unless its the same size as stock, might as well expect that engine to say g'bye!
I don't think that's entirely true. The ECM or PCM will compensate for Intake & Exhaust modifications...up to certain point. If the parameters are outside the values that the PCM can adjust to, it'll kick a CEL. A Tune is not always required...will it give you better performance...you bet. Plus, most CAI manufacturers will tell you if you need a Tune or not.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I don't think that's entirely true. The ECM or PCM will compensate for Intake & Exhaust modifications...up to certain point. If the parameters are outside the values that the PCM can adjust to, it'll kick a CEL. A Tune is not always required...will it give you better performance...you bet. Plus, most CAI manufacturers will tell you if you need a Tune or not.
Most of the CAIs out have larger diameter tubes than the stock box. The MAF sensor will give the wrong reading and you'll run lean and grenade your motor without a tune. The only CAIs that don't need tunes have a Venturi tube to reduce the diameter of the tubing to what is found on stock near the MAF sensor.

Supa LA

Drop a gear and disappear
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Metallic Mustang GT PP
Most of the CAIs out have larger diameter tubes than the stock box. The MAF sensor will give the wrong reading and you'll run lean and grenade your motor without a tune. The only CAIs that don't need tunes have a Venturi tube to reduce the diameter of the tubing to what is found on stock near the MAF sensor.
Pretty much this.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I'm waiting for Steeda to come out with their CAI. Had one on my 05 GT, very good looking system & quality is top notch!
Awesome! We will keep all of you updated as we finalize our CAI - we assure you the wait will be well worth it :)

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
what are the differences between the Airaid and the jlt?

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
No offense to you and Supa LA... but I believe B52 Jetman is closer to the mark on his comments about the engine shelling out vice the electronics simply compensating for the higher airflow. If your theory were true, and in some remote cases it may be, as soon as you fired up the engine with a new CAI and put any load on it you'd get a check engine light or something close to that. Why do you think an Electronically controlled fuel injected engine handles changes in altitude better than a carbureted engine, it can adjust fuel air mixtures and timing. Or at least that's the general idea. :thumbsup:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
No offense to you and Supa LA... but I believe B52 Jetman is closer to the mark on his comments about the engine shelling out vice the electronics simply compensating for the higher airflow. If your theory were true, and in some remote cases it may be, as soon as you fired up the engine with a new CAI and put any load on it you'd get a check engine light or something close to that. Why do you think an Electronically controlled fuel injected engine handles changes in altitude better than a carbureted engine, it can adjust fuel air mixtures and timing. Or at least that's the general idea. :thumbsup:

Barrel is 100% correct. The MAF sensor is calibrated to a specific size and must be correct in the tune. It doesn't simply learn the MAF housing diameter but the value must be written in the tune.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
This is why guys putting cai on their car without a tune, are running sluggish as the comments were made.I know airaid has a cai that u can step down the size of the tube, but whats the sence in that might as well keep the stock box on.Cai and tune best way to go.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Barrel is 100% correct. The MAF sensor is calibrated to a specific size and must be correct in the tune. It doesn't simply learn the MAF housing diameter but the value must be written in the tune.
Sure whatever you think! Mine has been running better since the install, maybe it offset the altitude difference.. who knows. I'm sure you guys are all automotive design engineers....

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Sure whatever you think! Mine has been running better since the install, maybe it offset the altitude difference.. who knows. I'm sure you guys are all automotive design engineers....
You do know grimace is a Mercedes tech, right? He does bring knowledge and credentials to the table during these discussions.

B-52 Jetman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT, Johnny Cash Edition
Well, I've put CAI's on every vehicle I've owned...never an issue. Better performance & throttle response. Driven them for thousands of miles...never grenaded engine...not even a check engine light, just a good ol' fashion roar when you stomp'd on the accelerator!

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Well, I've put CAI's on every vehicle I've owned...never an issue. Better performance & throttle response. Driven them for thousands of miles...never grenaded engine...not even a check engine light, just a good ol' fashion roar when you stomp'd on the accelerator!

There seems to be a big disconnect here. Nobody is saying simply installing a CAI will blow up your engine.

There are two different distinct types of cold air intakes: those that have the same MAF housing as stock and those with larger MAF housings. You can install a CAI on your car without a tune as long as the MAF housing is the same as stock. Won't be worth much other than sound and underhood bling, but it won't cause any issues. If that is the route you two have gone then cool.

If the MAF housing is larger than stock and you don't have a tune for it, you will get a CEL almost immediately and will have a very poor running engine(surging, stalling) because the PCM is seeing a much smaller airflow signal through the MAF than it is really getting. When the wideband O2 sensors see this large discrepancy the CEL is lit.

If you guys are trying to say the MAF housing size doesn't matter and you never need a tune, you are wrong. If that isn't what you are saying perhaps you could be a little more clear with exactly what you have done with your vehicles.

You do know grimace is a Mercedes tech, right? He does bring knowledge and credentials to the table during these discussions.
Thanks for the backup but I'm not trying to be right here, just hoping we are all on the same page. :thumbsup:

Last edited: