Sponsored

Another GT350 vs GT350R Thread

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Both cars are amazing but let's face it the R is the better performer.

Let's say for arguments sake a tire/wheel upgrade to a non-r will get you 75% of that performance delta. The question the OP has to ask himself is he ever going to miss the 25% left on the table or is his desire for an R to own the CURRENT top dog Mustang. Other reasons to get an R:
- better resale
- you like crazy tall rear wings (it has grown on me over time but not my cup of tea)
- more attention from guys and kids (face it most gals aren't ga ga over an R vs. non-R)
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
My car was 56K the R would of been 67K. To be fair the R would of had the electronics package my 2016 Track doesnt have.

I think realistically the R will hold its value better then a non R. So long term it would probably cost less to own. So if I could of gotten a MSRP R I would of. But that is based on assumption about value it seems ford is pumping out more Rs then I originally expected.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In the crappy roads we drive around here, the R is a big nono. Not only cup 2's will pick all the stones and crap (and most likely will look like a 10 year old car in one year) but the suspension being firmer, I would have a hard time driving it... Unless to the track, which is twice a year or so.

The other problem is price. I have not seen an R yet without a huge markup, even second hand. For that kind of money, might as well make an effort and get my dream car, the F430, which is trading at little over 100k nowadays..

Kind of silly to pay 80k for a Mustang, no matter how good they drive. But that's just me.
I agree with your points about using an R as a daily. There are a lot of knocks against it.

I've driven an F430 Scuderia at a track and I think the GT350 (not R) is better. Sure the Ferrari has the cool factor, but the grip isn't better. The brakes definitely aren't better. I hated the DCT in the Ferrari. And the engine didn't even sound that great.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Isn't it $7500 more before adding in A/C, et. al. which adds $3000? Before any ADM?
He said @ MSRP. My 2016 stickered for $66,870 w/electronics. Track pack 2016 was @$58k, if I'm not mistaken. If he's comparing a base to an R, then yes, more of a jump.

OP
OP
robbo1011

robbo1011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red GT
Looked at the R last night, and when all was said and done, the 5K ADM was more like 7500 as they added several "fluff" items (VTR, Paint Butler, etc..). They did offer me a very fair trade in on mine 59K (only has 90 miles on her). But MSRP plus 5K plus 2500 in dealer adds, Tax, doc, etc..I was looking at just under 19K. I decided to hold off for now and just enjoy my non R, until a better deal comes along. However, good thing this R wasn't Race Red, if it was I probably would have pulled the trigger.

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Hmm, I certainly wouldn't take any of the extras that they were trying to force on you, screw that.

Definitely not the end of the world, cause you still got one hell of a car :D :ford: :cheers:

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I agree with your points about using an R as a daily. There are a lot of knocks against it.

I've driven an F430 Scuderia at a track and I think the GT350 (not R) is better. Sure the Ferrari has the cool factor, but the grip isn't better. The brakes definitely aren't better. I hated the DCT in the Ferrari. And the engine didn't even sound that great.
LMAO. The Scud weighs 2900 lbs and has 505HP, carbon ceramic brakes (standard on Scud), and is no doubt a world class performer. The 4.3 in the scud has also been noted as one of the best sounding Ferrari's ever with it's flat plane crank, high revving motor. But to each his own! If you feel the GT350 is better, good for you! Doesn't grip well and doesn't sound good is not something I've ever heard anyone say before about a Scud!

The F1 Superfast transmission is to die for, unique to only the small #'s of Scuds and 16M's out there.

Now if you rented the Scud at Disney and took it on the track there, I understand your opinion- I drove that one and it was severely de-tuned, they had replaced the carbon-ceramic brakes with standard F430 brakes (for money savings), and the guy in the passenger seat while you were driving was limiting HP during the entire drive.

[ame]

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
I remember when the Scud came out, it's track specific focus is just over the top and it out-performed the Enzo at the track. Aluminum floors, full carbon fiber interior, and looks and sounds to die for (I still remember hearing one driving beside me from 4-5 years ago, it sounded like a Formula 1 car). A lot of the components on it are made of titanium also. It's one of my favorite cars of all time and no doubt, if I ever won lotto it would be my first purchase.

I mean, I like the GT350 and love the enthusiasm for it, but we're stretching things a little here :lol:

Also, there is a pretty big difference in the standard F430 and the 430 Scud. More than the differences in the Gt350 to the GT350R.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
LMAO. The Scud weighs 2900 lbs and has 505HP, carbon ceramic brakes (standard on Scud), and is no doubt a world class performer. The 4.3 in the scud has also been noted as one of the best sounding Ferrari's ever with it's flat plane crank, high revving motor. But to each his own! If you feel the GT350 is better, good for you! Doesn't grip well and doesn't sound good is not something I've ever heard anyone say before about a Scud!

The F1 Superfast transmission is to die for, unique to only the small #'s of Scuds and 16M's out there.

Now if you rented the Scud at Disney and took it on the track there, I understand your opinion- I drove that one and it was severely de-tuned, they had replaced the carbon-ceramic brakes with standard F430 brakes (for money savings), and the guy in the passenger seat while you were driving was limiting HP during the entire drive.

The scud may have not had a lack of grip back in the day but compared to the gt350r it does have less grip.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...0268/evil-twins-ferrari-f430-vs-430-scuderia/

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I bought a '16 non-R in February. I love how you just don't see them around, even in Vegas. I know there are another 9 350s here, at least, but I never see them. And I love that. It is unique simply because there aren't many around.

Having said that, I got together with 8 other owners of non-Rs a few weekends ago... now I think I need an R.
Make that 10 350's in Vegas... Never see them except last night at Freemont street... Ruby Red with a black racing stripes on the rocker panels.

This Sat. 7am SpeedVegas has a huge Mustang meet where we'll get a few parade laps around the track.

Love to see a caravan of GT350's rolling thru town.
Hit me up next time you guys have a meet.

Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
... if you are not pushing it on the track (which most guys that own the R are not btw).
Unfortunately true, I suspect. Every last one of these GT350s should be tracked. The experience is without compare. Well, not the '16 base and Tech packs. Sorry guys!

The "R" snobs are here. Man, you'd think the standard GT350 was an ecoboost to these guys.
I thought the non-R had the Fiesta ST engine? ;)

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
The scud may have not had a lack of grip back in the day but compared to the gt350r it does have less grip.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...0268/evil-twins-ferrari-f430-vs-430-scuderia/
The advances in tire technology from then to know also gives the GT350/GT350R an advantage. Put Cup2's on the older cars and run them. The Ferrari is still a better balanced mid-engine car that weighs almost 800 lbs lighter.

The #'s are also better than the Enzo, F40, etc., but I know these are more capable now with newer rubber than they were back when the tests are done.

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Oh yeah? The GT350R has less grip than the Camaro ZL1 for cheaper! :D :bolt:

I'd give up any grip, real or not, for the Ferrari!
Actually it doesn't lol the latest comparison had them tied at 1.08G's... but it also mentioned the tires were worn, and 3 different instrumented tests prior had it hit between 1.09-1.10G.

I would love to own a Scud or 458, but I don't like the Ferrari V8 sound enough to trade. I would trade my R, heart and soul for an F12 though... the big V12's are where Ferrari's magic is IMO.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
The advances in tire technology from then to know also gives the GT350/GT350R an advantage. Put Cup2's on the older cars and run them. The Ferrari is still a better balanced mid-engine car that weighs almost 800 lbs lighter.

The #'s are also better than the Enzo, F40, etc., but I know these are more capable now with newer rubber than they were back when the tests are done.
OH I agree! But it is plausible that Hack is correct in stating that the "grip isn't better".
Sponsored