Sponsored

Acceleration on my '16 V6 automatic isn't consistent.

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hey all,

Let me preface this by saying that I am brand-spanking new to cars with any kind of performance. My last car was a 4 cylinder Impreza - practical in the snow, also painfully boring. I'll spare you the litany of sluggish cars before that. So, this Mustang V6 I've got now is seriously quick in comparison. Well, half the time it is.

Since I know nothing of sports cars and what to expect, I am assuming that the ECU programming is getting in the way? I am talking about sport mode here but the same thing seems to happen in regular drive mode. Sometimes the car pushes you back hard into your seat when you mash on the pedal, other times, not so much. It feels like sometimes it's just not giving the car much gas. This is from 5 to maybe 40-50 mph. Pretty sure the get up and go from a dead stop has similar issues. Maybe I should try the paddle shifters and see if that is more consistent.

The car has been this way ever since I got it nine months ago. It makes me really regret getting an automatic transmission. I'd rather be able to control it better, have the car be more predictable. I assume that's what would happen with a manual.

Would getting a new ECU tune possibly fix this erratic acceleration? I'm tempted to just trade for a V8 manual but this V6 is legitimately fast enough, if I could get it to be more reliably so.

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black
Hey another Ohio guy!
From your description, it sounds like you are catching the transmission in a spot where it's at just the right speed/RPM where it is not programmed to downshift given your throttle input.

I say that as I drove an automatic ecoboost for a week before I bought my GT. I found there were a few spots where the car felt more sluggish, just as you describe.

Only other thing that comes to mind is an issue with the throttle body but it would probably have other noticeable issues in addition to the sluggish acceleration.

OP
OP
cmorris975

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Hey another Ohio guy!
From your description, it sounds like you are catching the transmission in a spot where it's at just the right speed/RPM where it is not programmed to downshift given your throttle input.

I say that as I drove an automatic ecoboost for a week before I bought my GT. I found there were a few spots where the car felt more sluggish, just as you describe.

Only other thing that comes to mind is an issue with the throttle body but it would probably have other noticeable issues in addition to the sluggish acceleration.
Makes sense. I guess that means that the problem shouldn't exist if I just use the shifters. I'm starting to really understand why people like manuals, I'm really tempted to go the manual GT route.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Cleveland Rocks! :headbang:

There may be something with the automatic, Ive never had an issue with my manual unless it was extremely hot out. Check out the V6 forums. We've may some discoveries with GT throttle bodies and exhausts that help perk things up. Theres also the tune option that should clean up the responsiveness and shifting.

Did you get the recall notice for your throttle body?

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Hey all,

Let me preface this by saying that I am brand-spanking new to cars with any kind of performance. My last car was a 4 cylinder Impreza - practical in the snow, also painfully boring. I'll spare you the litany of sluggish cars before that. So, this Mustang V6 I've got now is seriously quick in comparison. Well, half the time it is.

Since I know nothing of sports cars and what to expect, I am assuming that the ECU programming is getting in the way? I am talking about sport mode here but the same thing seems to happen in regular drive mode. Sometimes the car pushes you back hard into your seat when you mash on the pedal, other times, not so much. It feels like sometimes it's just not giving the car much gas. This is from 5 to maybe 40-50 mph. Pretty sure the get up and go from a dead stop has similar issues. Maybe I should try the paddle shifters and see if that is more consistent.

The car has been this way ever since I got it nine months ago. It makes me really regret getting an automatic transmission. I'd rather be able to control it better, have the car be more predictable. I assume that's what would happen with a manual.

Would getting a new ECU tune possibly fix this erratic acceleration? I'm tempted to just trade for a V8 manual but this V6 is legitimately fast enough, if I could get it to be more reliably so.

Thanks,

Chris
Is it possible that the traction control could be engaging? If it starts to detect wheel spin it will cut the throttle and feel like it is bogging down. Just curious.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Look at the throttle controllers...the pedalmax fixed that problem right away.

Ctease

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
...Would getting a new ECU tune possibly fix this erratic acceleration? I'm tempted to just trade for a V8 manual but this V6 is legitimately fast enough, if I could get it to be more reliably so...
Don't modify a car that's not running correctly. It's just going to cause more problems. Seems cheaper to have a professional diagnose the problem than buying a new car.

Try a different gas station. I had same symptoms on my truck after filling up at my local Walmart. Took me three different refills before I put two and two together.

You could try checking air filter. It's easy so just check it off the list. Have someone check for engine codes. Auto parts stores usually offer that service for free. Take it to the dealer and have them check it professionally.

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
get a gt and you will have a real performance car :)

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cmorris975

cmorris975

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Is it possible that the traction control could be engaging? If it starts to detect wheel spin it will cut the throttle and feel like it is bogging down. Just curious.
I'll take my car for a spin today and check for that.

Thanks for the ideas everyone - you've given me plenty to think about and avenues to try so that's really appreciated.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
i feel like i have this problem, dealer is going to look at it tuesday i mentioned a lag.

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
Hey all,

Thanks,

Chris
I've had my 2015 V6 51A premium auto, for 2 years and love it. I only paddle shift which makes it feel like a manual. There a few mods you can do for a few hundred buck that will make you V6 auto, respond better for acceleration and quicker from a stop to top end. I installed a K&N drop in air filter in the stock box, JLT PedalMAX plug and go increases the voltage to the thottle body, SCTx4 from SCT direct with 87-89-93 tunes and can change the menu for RPM's from idle to redline and shifting firmness from factory to +25%, which I have my redline set at 7200 rpm's and smoke the tires from a stop and a hard firm long chirp in 2nd and very quick from 30 mph to 120 mph. It has new life to it.

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
I felt the same problem. then i realized i was babying it. the pedal max increases the voltage at everything up till wide open throttle. just dont be afraid to put it to the floor. turn traction control off put it in sport and put it to the floor. i chirp first n second easy with just a k&n drop in x pipe and gt mufflers. I also run 89 gas. im getting 28-30 mpg highway. and i couldnt be happier.

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Hey all,

Thanks,

Chris
Chris, what color is your car? I'm in CLE Heights as well, and I have a race red GT. I'm sure we've seen each other around the area.

If you're worried about it, take it to the dealer, but they'll tell you nothing is wrong. Are you sure you're not feeling traction control kicking in to stop slip? Mine doesn't really trigger the dash light unless it's doing a lot of work, but I can feel it adjusting power in first and second, depending on conditions. Maybe replicate your behavior and speed range with traction turned all the way off?

A tune will help if you want to go aftermarket.
Sponsored