Sponsored

A real cold air system not another hot air intake

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
I understand the idea of the box and enclosing the filter but what I really want to see is how much they flow. My car wont be heat soaked at the dragstrip. I would bet the inlet temps are all pretty darn close at 6,000+RPMs and 100mph but I'll bet some flow better.
Sponsored

Process

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Porsche 911 Turbo S & 2016 Shelby GT350R
This has been tested many many many times over. The open element CAIs do in fact have higher under hood temps while sitting in traffic and low speed. They are near ambient when up to speed and racing.

This being said, they do not add much hp, unless the MAF, TB, and Manifold inlet are all size matched.

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond
Op had a open intake on his 2010 mustang.

Must have settled for second best?

Pot meet kettle

96Mustang460cid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT w/ PP
I don't understand why this is such a difficult topic to put to rest. Not sure if its just the PP packages, but the gauge package on my car specifies IATs. So, a before/after test and stationary/30/60/90 mph tests should be pretty simple.

I see points on both side of the coin and agree that I'd like to use what's best for my car. So, for the guys who are running a "CAI", please post up the before after IATs (*F over ambient).

Have a good day!
Michael

mdnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT/PP RubyRed
Ive seen this intake on a 3v mustang, it was doing 14s at the track....

Sponsored

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Op had a open intake on his 2010 mustang.

Must have settled for second best?

Pot meet kettle
You're right to certain extent I did settle. I also improved the amount of air coming from the tiny feed tube next to the radiator.

Just to make this clear this really is not that big an issue with normally aspirated cars. It is when the car is supercharged. The supercharger heats up the air going into the motor so starting with the coolest air possible is very important.

waahehe94

We're All Mad...You Know
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Cobra R, Corvette
From my experience the main purpose of an aftermarket air intake tube is to improve on the air intake velocity. The factory air intake is a mixture of compromise and performance so it doesn't have to be the most efficient or best performing air intake system that Ford can produce.

The no compromise factory cars that Ford builds like the Super Cobra Jet use a more effiecient system because they aren't marketed for the average person who just wants a sporty looking car. If this system was hurting performance I'm guessing it wouldn't be on this car from the factory.
vlcsnap-2014-11-25-00h34m45s131.jpg
vlcsnap-2014-11-25-00h35m12s203.jpg

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Perfomance? Cobra Jets aren't driven on the street. If you want a drag car all kinds of performance killers are ok for 1/4 mile. But after cruising for an hour at low speeds with everything heat soaked the last thing you want is to draw in hot air from the engine compartment. Yes the big intake tubes between the filter and the throttle body are where all the power gains come from on the dyno, not the filter and not the filter sitting in a hot air bath of the engine.

waahehe94

We're All Mad...You Know
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just using the Cobra Jet as an example, I race with them on a regular basis at the track and know that they don't come with a VIN and aren't a street car.

How cool and dense do you think that the air is when it enters your cylinder after coming off of a paved road that is saturated with tar, gas, oil, etc that has been soaking in the sun on a public road before entering a heat soaked airbox, flowing throw a paper filter, heat soaked intake tube, heat soaked throttle body and heat soaked intake manifold after an hour of slow driving is?

Nick@JDM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.teamjdm.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tremor
The main reason the CJ has that intake is not for increasing air velocity or a lower charge temp. The reason is that they are using a stock GT/GT500 MAF sensor and it would peg out in a smaller housing. That CJ is capable of over 1000whp and to support that amount of air you need to enlarge the MAF housing to slow down intake air velocity across the sensor. Some CJ's ditch the factory ECU and run a fast system. These guys don't even run intakes...all you will find under the hood is an open throttle body.

When Mustangs are at speed there is so much air entering the engine bay that it wont make much of a difference if the air box is closed or open...unless you are trying to measure who has the most HP at idle in traffic...

Sponsored

waahehe94

We're All Mad...You Know
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The main reason the CJ has that intake is not for increasing air velocity or a lower charge temp. The reason is that they are using a stock GT/GT500 MAF sensor and it would peg out in a smaller housing. That CJ is capable of over 1000whp and to support that amount of air you need to enlarge the MAF housing to slow down intake air velocity across the sensor. Some CJ's ditch the factory ECU and run a fast system. These guys don't even run intakes...all you will find under the hood is an open throttle body.

When Mustangs are at speed there is so much air entering the engine bay that it wont make much of a difference if the air box is closed or open...unless you are trying to measure who has the most HP at idle in traffic...
Also when you change the ECU in a Cobra Jet, remove the mass air meter and let air flow straight into the throttle body you are converting the car to a speed density system. There is a big difference in the software and hardware in a speed density system compared to a mass air system.

OP
OP

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Just using the Cobra Jet as an example, I race with them on a regular basis at the track and know that they don't come with a VIN and aren't a street car.

How cool and dense do you think that the air is when it enters your cylinder after coming off of a paved road that is saturated with tar, gas, oil, etc that has been soaking in the sun on a public road before entering a heat soaked airbox, flowing throw a paper filter, heat soaked intake tube, heat soaked throttle body and heat soaked intake manifold after an hour of slow driving is?

I know because I had thermocouple heat sensors mounted in front of the air filter and inside the MAF tube as well as the intake itself. Feeding air that is 50 degrees above ambient only happens when the air is coming from the engine compartment once you introduce air from the grill the temps drop to ambient, the road and whatever has no effect.

waahehe94

We're All Mad...You Know
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know because I had thermocouple heat sensors mounted in front of the air filter and inside the MAF tube as well as the intake itself. Feeding air that is 50 degrees above ambient only happens when the air is coming from the engine compartment once you introduce air from the grill the temps drop to ambient, the road and whatever has no effect.
I would be interested in seeing your test data and real world data from a dyno and track test with your 2015 model to see how it compared to your factory airbox as opposed to an aftermarket air intake on your car?

Anthony

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can't respond

Ford is so dumb! A hot air intake on a $70k gt500

Svt is full of idiots

And since svt and roush share the same building and info......

Imagine the horsepower the 2014 gt500 would have made with a 2015 real cold air intake!!!

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly

Ford is so dumb! A hot air intake on a $70k gt500

Svt is full of idiots

And since svt and roush share the same building and info......

Imagine the horsepower the 2014 gt500 would have made with a 2015 real cold air intake!!!

If it had a super super special secret squirrel 2015 air box ram air magic intake it would have made 1,000 WHP and would have whipped Veyrons.

Instead stupid Ford and their ricer ways went with a CAI and it had to make do with 662 HP.
Sponsored