OP
OP
BlackGT

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
That is completely impressive!! They look great!!

I was just recently mentioned to my wife that I didn't understand why Ford dropped the grill lights from the GTs for this model.
Thank you. I agree with you in questioning Ford's thoughts. I have always loved the grill lights. These particular lights are from the Pony Package cars from the 05-09 models. I like the smaller size over the larger GT lights as a personal preference.
Sponsored

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Looks great and wow that's stellar that your son is involved with cars and builds at 13, he'll always be able to fix things when they break. Reminds me of my dad when we built a car together

OP
OP
BlackGT

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The car project is a three fold endeavor, one is to create some memories that we will have forever, two is to teach him how to work on cars so that he is not dependent on others for help, and thirdly is in hopes that it will keep him from doing something really stupid when he starts to drive. I know we all did stupid stuff growing up but if it makes him think twice then it just might save his life.

stresstest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT Premium
Bitchen dude. Love me some kick ass diy and this qualifies. ;)

Well done.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Ok. I have to be honest. It looks horrible! You should be embarrassed of that grille on your car. BUT, being a fellow member I will take it off your hands to save you the embarrassment. I will even ship you another stock grille to help you. Would even be willing to send a little mula so you can buy some beverage of your choice to help forget about all the time you lost. What do you think?:lol:

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Nice work

TURTL3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LB Mustang 3.7 6MT
Badass man. My car will come without OEM fogs and I was hoping I could find a grill light kit but the only thing out is the RTR LED one and that's just not my style. Your solution looks amazing. Pretty much OEM quality fitment. I'm not great with electric stuff, could you go into a bit more detail about the wiring and switch? I may tackle this DIY down the road.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
You did a great job on that grill !

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
It looks like a factory option! Nice work! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

DAVECS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP GT Grabber Blue
Thank you. I agree with you in questioning Ford's thoughts. I have always loved the grill lights. These particular lights are from the Pony Package cars from the 05-09 models. I like the smaller size over the larger GT lights as a personal preference.
First off the lights are completely awesome. Very Nice work!

I think the lack of Grill lights due to ford, is due to the fact, I believe you can only have 4 forward facing lights on a public road. I believe on the S197 if you had grill lights you did not have fogs. I believe the higher performance cars used the lower grill openings for brake ducting and then had grill lights.

On the S550 the brakes are cooled by the channels in the belly pan and fog lights are in most models. So grill lights puts you one set of lights over the limit. Not sure if it will ever be enforced, but I think that is Ford's reasoning.

OP
OP
BlackGT

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all of the positive comments.

As for the legalities of the number of lights facing forward only apply if they are illuminated. There is also law against multi-colored lights on a vehicle. This is not strictly enforced unless it is an obstruction to other drivers on the roadway. Questioning Ford's rational was because they chose to move the lights from the grill to the lower corners of the bumper. I know it was a styling change for the new body style but I prefer the look of grille lights.

OP
OP
BlackGT

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wired the lights by tapping into the wire that runs the DRLs when the ignition is on. Be sure to check the wires because there are two wires that feed the DRLs, one sends power when you lock or unlock the doors and another that is controlled by the ignition switch. The power wire from the DRL feeds a push button switch I mounted on the dash by the power trunk release button. This in-turn activates a relay that sends power to the lights.

By the way, use solder and heat shrink for your wiring connections. I will eliminate electrical failures down the road.
Sponsored