Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
Wild Stang,

There actually is a difference in the semantics. The term "pre-production" is generally accepted to have a specific meaning, and it is different from that of "prototype".

Pre-production, in the automotive context, does not refer to any car built before Job1. What it does refer to are cars that are nearly 100% finalized in terms of specs, hardware and content. They may be lacking final finishes, graining, or textures, but they also may not be. These cars are typically built very late in the development, off of production intent processes using production tools. Basically, these are generally production-grade cars that happen to have been built prior to actual start of production. In many cases, these are actually saleable cars (unless they've been used past the limits of what the OEM can resell). In Ford's case, these cars come from their tooling trial builds and on into the PPAP approval build.

That makes pre-production cars distinctly different from actual prototypes. Prototypes are often built from various stages of parts and tools, may only be partially representative of the final intent, and used to conduct initial and mid-phase development testing. These are generally considered to be different still from development mules, which are built from existing vehicles to test specific systems (or combinations of systems) before the prototype chassis are available for test use.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Wild Stang

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
Wild Stang,

There actually is a difference in the semantics. The term "pre-production" is generally accepted to have a specific meaning, and it is different from that of "prototype".

Pre-production, in the automotive context, does not refer to any car built before Job1. What it does refer to are cars that are nearly 100% finalized in terms of specs, hardware and content. They may be lacking final finishes, graining, or textures, but they also may not be. These cars are typically built very late in the development, off of production intent processes using production tools. Basically, these are generally production-grade cars that happen to have been built prior to actual start of production. In many cases, these are actually saleable cars (unless they've been used past the limits of what the OEM can resell). In Ford's case, these cars come from their tooling trial builds and on into the PPAP approval build.

That makes pre-production cars distinctly different from actual prototypes. Prototypes are often built from various stages of parts and tools, may only be partially representative of the final intent, and used to conduct initial and mid-phase development testing. These are generally considered to be different still from development mules, which are built from existing vehicles to test specific systems (or combinations of systems) before the prototype chassis are available for test use.
Thanks for explaining it, but geez it seems like we are really nitpicking here about an insignificant thing. Topnotch seems really concerned about being "right" about this all along when all I wanted was official confirmation.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
We're all nitpicking everything to death, due to the lack of real information to chew on. However, in the world of automotive engineering, the difference between prototype and pre-production is not nitpicking. That's in part because engineers tend to be anal, to be sure, but also because the terms have meanings that have different implications. Look at it as sort of the difference between Dark Highland Green and Gotta Have it Green. Both are shades of green, to be sure, but mix them up in a discussion on a message board and the sharks will swarm... :D

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Look at it as sort of the difference between Dark Highland Green and Gotta Have it Green. Both are shades of green, to be sure, but mix them up in a discussion on a message board and the sharks will swarm... :D
Those are totally different! What the heck are y... :D

I think we got confirmation on what looks to be a later build pre-production model of a car with the chrome highlights on the taillights vs. an earlier build.

Having watched Ford go through rounds of building cars before being released to sell, what you shared is a great explanation and does seem to match with the photos that Topnotch posts up here stealthily. To me, wanting to analyze every single detail to pass the time, they speak volumes about what's going on as we get closer to production.

Thanks again for your perspective.

PS - I used to love the EXP when I was younger.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
PS - I used to love the EXP when I was younger.
I learned to drive in my sister's '85 EXP, and I've owned 4 of them myself. I only just sold my last one a few weeks ago, a 1984 Turbo Coupe. A rare, neat car, but absolutely zero aftermarket support for it... :frusty:

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Thanks for explaining it, but geez it seems like we are really nitpicking here about an insignificant thing. Topnotch seems really concerned about being "right" about this all along when all I wanted was official confirmation.
Enough.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Yes, yours will be "limited". Yes, yours will have a LE only special color. Yes, yours will have LE only interior. Yes, yours will have LE only quarter windows. Yes, yours will have LE only vin/badge. Yes, yours will have LE only rims. Yes, yours will have LE only upgraded rear brakes. Yes yours will be limited.

This thread is to discuss the differences between them not insult anyone's opinion of what they may prefer. I want to build a car that is the most catching to my eye. I did not want blue or white, which is what made my decision, although I do like the two tone interior of the LE.

I like some of the things like the wheels, quarter windows, upgraded rear brakes from the LE and will be adding them to my car. And not to make anyone think I have a LE because I could care less about status, it's because it's what makes the car the most appealing to ME. For example I'm most likely going to replace the rear faux cap with the GT badge because to me I think it looks better. And to me I think the chrome window trim of the LE looks more luxury than sporty which is why I will not be changing that. Hell, I may even be changing the tail lights to the non chromed version but the votes still out on that one until I see the car.

The car is limited NOT who drives it ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow....You embellished so much content into what I said. Calm Down. People need to stop injecting emotion into someones post. When did I mention Status? How was I insulting?

People want to know the differences and want to justify why they don't want to pony up for the LE due too so called "minor differences" so I pointed out the things I'm looking forward to that are different and the Main Difference which was the Limited Production. Pump the brakes next time :thumbdown:

DonLafond

1 Happy Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I think we are all getting cranky from the wait - and we are still months away from driving our new non-pre-production, non-prototype mustangs. Everyone relax and enjoy the last days of your current ride :chill:

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I think we are all getting cranky from the wait - and we are still months away from driving our new non-pre-production, non-prototype mustangs. Everyone relax and enjoy the last days of your current ride :chill:
Pretty much spot on, matter of fact I emailed my salesman today to start the conversation of trading in my '13 5.0 for a daily driver now so I can reduce my payments for a few months and have something to DD when the '15 gets here.

Those last days are fast approaching.....can I be put into a medically induced coma for 2 months?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Wow....You embellished so much content into what I said. Calm Down. People need to stop injecting emotion into someones post. When did I mention Status? How was I insulting?

People want to know the differences and want to justify why they don't want to pony up for the LE due too so called "minor differences" so I pointed out the things I'm looking forward to that are different and the Main Difference which was the Limited Production. Pump the brakes next time :thumbdown:

Hi, take a deep breath and then slowly let it out. My only point was that anybody who wants to get an LE (and made it in time before they were or are claimed) can have one. Anybody who does not want one will get another variation of options. Anyone who might want a little of both might order the appearance package. Thats all I meant. As stated I chose not to get one and not for any reason other than I did not want blue or white. Money was not a deciding factor at all and your "pony up" statement is plane juvenile.

Then all I said was what "I" like and what "I" will do to my car. That's all. If you were offended then take a look at yourself.

As stated by others people are getting touchy around here. I am excited to drive home the car I ordered and you can drive home in the car you ordered and everyone else will drive home in the car they ordered and life will go on.

I apologize to the op and to everyone subscribed to this topic if I offended anyone or used up a valuable minute or two of your life reading my posts.

Carry on and Mustang everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
When my car is delivered I'm ghosting from the forums for probably a while haha

OP
OP
Wild Stang

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
When my car is delivered I'm ghosting from the forums for probably a while haha
Same lol. As others have said, this is going to be a long wait and people are going to get impatient & agitated as we're starting to see.

Mark's M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'15 L.E. Auto WW
You are being exceptionally eloquent by generalizing that "all" are being cranky from the wait. Truth is that only a handful come across as high and mighty, never wrong or just plain 'ol ignorant. I'm still new here but it'd be a privilege to some day meet up with almost all of the regular posters who go out of their way to be pleasant, take/provide pics or provide accurate updates and info - no matter what their VIN's happen to be ;)

DarkKnightDant3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
faux gas caps

Does anyone know what the two faux gas caps look like? I think we've only seen the one for the 50th limited edition but what is the 50th appearance package one going to look like?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know what the two faux gas caps look like? I think we've only seen the one for the 50th limited edition but what is the 50th appearance package one going to look like?

Not 100% certain but I think they are both one and the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored