HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
CEO Farley's response to complaints about data sharing with insurance companies.

Ford Issues Statement On Data Privacy Sharing Amid Concerns (fordauthority.com)

Mine is set to off in the connectivity screen, for insurance data sharing, not that I believe it to be true.

BD
From article:

Ford hasn’t sold or shared any connected vehicle data to LexisNexis (or Verisk),” the automaker said in its statement. “While Ford announced exploratory partnerships with them, we haven’t launched anything.
Sounds like nothing to worry about ........... until tomorrow or the next day.

If an insurance company or data exchange service has data about your driving behavior without your explicit consent, it did not come from Ford. There are several other ways, such as through phone apps unrelated to Ford, where information about your driving behavior (especially hard accelerations and hard braking that can be calculated through a cell phone’s GPS data) can be made available to insurers.
So..... only apps that can access the VIN AND that can tell you are the driver? Plausible deniability for Ford if they do secretly share with your insurance company?

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
From article:

Sounds like nothing to worry about ........... until tomorrow or the next day.

So..... only apps that can access the VIN AND that can tell you are the driver? Plausible deniability for Ford if they do secretly share with your insurance company?
Exactly. How would my other apps know if I was in my buddy’s private plane going 150-200 mph or in my car?

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Exactly. How would my other apps know if I was in my buddy’s private plane going 150-200 mph or in my car?
If you have an app that records altitude your phone will have that data as well. I have all my apps set to track location only when using the app and have never used apple car play or connect phone to USB port in car, only use cigar lighter charger to charge phone in the car. Not that any of that matters anyway. Big brother is always watching in today's world, just not willing to make it easier for them.

BD

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
You cracked the code. We can foil them when we're speeding by putting our phones on antenna like 5ft over the car. They will think we are low-flying aircraft.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
I know there are at least a few of you that share my concerns for many various reasons:

Weird Insurance situation - if anyone can exp
Disabling 4G modem on 2019+ cars
Looks like the Norks are trying to hack into my car

Whether it's data collection, raised insurance premiums after a track day, hacking and cyber attacks, or some other concern, we shouldn't be forced to have our cars sharing who knows what with who knows who. Our cars have a telematics control unit (TCU) that does... well, I can't say for sure what it does other than that it has something to do with the 4G modem communication and data collection. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telematic_control_unit

I have a handy dandy RF meter that very simply shows me the strength of wireless RF radiation. I meant to do this a long time ago, but this afternoon I turned it on and took it to my 2019. When I opened the door, I heard the familiar chirps and buzzes of a mobile phone, but my phone was far away, inside the house. With all of the radios turned off (mobile data, bluetooth, etc.). And in airplane mode. My phone wouldn't have spiked my RF meter from the garage anyway, but I wanted to isolate any RF from my car for this experiment, so my Wi-Fi was also turned off. Prior to getting in my car my meter showed nearly no RF signal whatsoever (I live a decent distance from any significant broadcasters such as cell towers).

Awhile back I decided on a plan of attack to disable the TCU. The first trick up my sleeve? Pull a fuse.

And with that... I present to you the full detailed instructions on how to disable the 4G modem:

STEP 1) Disconnect fuse #10: Telematics

STEP 2) ...

There is no step 2. At least not for now (let me know how it goes for you).

Could it really be that easy? I know it's only a 5A fuse, but I had in my mind that perhaps navigation or bluetooth might no longer work, and I'd have to try plan B. But no, nav and BT are still fully functional. This little fuse appears to be for just the modem. I can still see the RF signal from the key fob and bluetooth, but the modem is gone.

Stay tuned for episode 2 where I reconnect the fuse and triangulate the RF signal to the modem location for possible removal (sure, there might be a more conventional method for finding it, but this is more fun).

So, there you have it, fellow tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists. Very simple. Very effective.

If you find a potential problem such as something else not working as expected, let me know and I'll expedite the modem location process for a try at just unplugging it.

Epilogue:

Very many of us have no use for our cars sending data to someone. I get in my car to go from point A to point B for whatever reason. I like horsepower, an ode to exhaust written by chewbacca himself, and good sounding tunes. None of these things require me to give up privacy. I don't even know what convenience the 4G modem gives me... in-car Wi-Fi? If I'd like in-car Wi-Fi then I'd have to consider my options. But since I have zero use for it, I've very happily disabled it. No need to give that data for free to whoever wants it. There's no need to just throw up your hands and say Corporation A knows this about me, Corporation B knows that about me, might as well just let Corporation C have this other data. What our phones do, what EZ Pass does, etc. are all separate issues that can be decided upon and handled separately from our cars sending whatever data they are sending.
Hi. For the 2019 GT, Which Fuse disables the Data transfer link from the car?
I never signed up for Ford pass and don't have an account, wonder if they are still collectining my data?
Thanks

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Hi. For the 2019 GT, Which Fuse disables the Data transfer link from the car?
I never signed up for Ford pass and don't have an account, wonder if they are still collectining my data?
Thanks
I understand it's a long thread but it's in the first post.

Sponsored

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Not sure why so many are getting so upset. The federally mandated data recorder that acts like as airplane black box collects and stores more info to worry about than what the modem is sending to Ford.
Those box's are pulled and read after a fatality under abnormal driving conditions or obtained by an Insurance company suing the car owner for negligence. Happens all of the time I hear

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
You have 2017 GT350. The modem installation start with 2019.
In my case, I have premium increases from $1.1K/6m to $3.1K/6m for three cars including GT350. When I asked them why, they said it's because my driving history. I don't have incidents or traffic tickets. When I asked them to explain what is my driving history, they didn't give me any valid explanation, just kept repeating same thing. I drive car spirited, I'm not going to give details how spirited. So, I really believe that Ford see my driving habits through Ford Connect and selling to insurance companies(Geico in this case).
I'm going to pull #10 fuse and see it Ford Connect app can't see location of my car.
Hi. Did pulling the fuse work?

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
The answer Tom was given was correct but incomplete. Yes they do share data, but......as per my post #55, Ford has agreements with some insurance companies to share data if requested and approved by the car owner. They just do not share everyones information with their insurance companies.

Also you could use the 4G modern as a hotspot and not enroll in FordPass. No enrollment, no app, no data sent to Ford. You could also just turn your WiFi off.

And by the way, who actually believes anything Ford says when you call them? :)
And Heres Your Sign LOL

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
Quick question, I've poked around a bit but can't seem to find a definitive answer. What year did this data collection start in our S550 mustangs? 2018 or 2019?

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
I believe it was 2019 that all ford vehicles got the telematics modules.

BD
Sponsored