Looks like the Norks are trying to hack into my car

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
That's crazy, did you request access to your car already?

OP
OP
David Schmidt

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
That's crazy, did you request access to your car already?
Yes, when it set it all up a year or so ago. And it's worked fine, telling me where the car is, tire pressures, and all that. This notification came in out of the blue this evening, so clearly some bad actor is probing cars. My guess is Ford got hacked and some credentials got leaked. If it was my credentials that got compromised, they wouldn't be asking permission...

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Exactly why I don't have the Fordpass app on my phone. I also have Auto Updates shut off. When one is available, and we'll know via the board, I'll let my servicing dealer do it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That is kind of scary that a thief could hack Ford, fool you into accepting the request, and then know exactly where your car is and easily steal it.

Sponsored

Endokendal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Ruby Red
What are Norks? Never heard that term before.

OP
OP
David Schmidt

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
What are Norks? Never heard that term before.
North Koreans. Substitute Russians, Deep State, Libs, Repubs, whatever your paranoia of choice happens to be. Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

OP
OP
David Schmidt

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Exactly why I don't have the Fordpass app on my phone. I also have Auto Updates shut off. When one is available, and we'll know via the board, I'll let my servicing dealer do it.
We're of the same mind. Unfortunately, I only have one key - so I wanted one additional way to unlock my doors. I will accelerate my search for a way to get a second key without paying hundreds to my local Ford dealer. I disabled my WiFi access from day 1 (I'm a computer geek, I know better than to leave that on) and now I will get this disabled at my earliest convenience.

That is kind of scary that a thief could hack Ford, fool you into accepting the request, and then know exactly where your car is and easily steal it.
They won't be able to start it, but they could then open the doors - and in my case, throw it in neutral and release the parking brake. Hoist 'er up and haul 'er away.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
David, you are the second person on this forum to experience a hacked message on FordPass. As with any hack you need to notify the company involved. I believe the FordPass app is handled by a third party. You need to contact them and/or Ford and let them know what you received.

I would also let me dealer know. Just check to see if they have a Laura Harris working there. :)

Here's a question for you. Why would someone hack your car in order to just vandalize it? Seems like a lot of effort for a few bucks. Just wondering.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
@David Schmidt are you the original owner? ive read articles where original owner was still able to log into ford website, and check in on a car he sold long ago..

Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
i didnt post that link here, because the OP never mentioned anything about unlocked doors.. just that an attempt was made in his fordpass app..

i doubt the 2 are related just by the descriptions from the posters. it does however seem weird that they both posted their encounters on the same day. coincidence?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Why would anybody accept a request to any digital device from an unknown, in the first place?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Why would anybody accept a request to any digital device from an unknown, in the first place?
It's not that you would (certainly you shouldn't).

It's that something or somebody is probing around with no good reason for doing so and they somehow found him. That's already too close.

Norm

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Unfortunately, I only have one key - so I wanted one additional way to unlock my doors. I will accelerate my search for a way to get a second key without paying hundreds to my local Ford dealer.
Call around to local locksmiths. When I bought my car it only had one key. CPO requires that you get two keys. My dealer had me meet a local, mobile locksmith at the dealership. He did everything programming and physical key cutting in about 15 minutes without ever going into the building. The key and fob are identical to the original.
I've also seen places online that if you purchase the fob/key and send them your VIN your key will come cut and programed.
I doubt either option is cheap but it's probably less expensive than the dealer.
Another option is to just buy the emergency key and have it cut. That would get the car unlocked, not started but you'd be in. I had the same locksmith that made my 2nd fob cut an extra emergency key for me because I wanted to lock my glove box on my convertible without having to dig out the fob every time.
Sponsored