4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Ah, interesting thanks, the trunk sounds less intimidating than interior footwell trim... Is that just around where the spare wheel well is? And I guess you left the yellow and red in place, but yanked the black-ended cable, which was likely power?
You know there is just a door you open right? They are designed to be serviceable by the owner.
Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
You know there is just a door you open right? They are designed to be serviceable by the owner.
Clearly I do not lol. So I guess you smart I dumb, but thanks for the info, I'll take a look today.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Clearly I do not lol. So I guess you smart I dumb, but thanks for the info, I'll take a look today.
Never called you dumb. Just maybe try looking at the thing first before heading off on a side quest. There's a diagram in the owners manual to get you to the right slot since the fuse number seems to change between the years.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, interesting thanks, the trunk sounds less intimidating than interior footwell trim... Is that just around where the spare wheel well is? And I guess you left the yellow and red in place, but yanked the black-ended cable, which was likely power?
it's right behind the taillights on the left as you are looking down into the trunk, there are 3-4 plastic knobs that you have to unscrew to remove that panel, then pull the left hand side (facing) of the liner back to view the modem. I pulled the power plug but left the coax connections in there. I don't think there is a reason to unplug all 3 as long as there is no power going to the unit

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked at the 2022 owners manual for fuses and not one fuse is named telematics or modem. Am I just missing it?

Sponsored

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I just looked at the 2022 owners manual for fuses and not one fuse is named telematics or modem. Am I just missing it?
I don't like to mess with the fuses.. that is why I pulled the plug on the modem itself.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
#8, 5A, Telematic Control Unit - Modem. Passenger compartment fuse panel. My manual for my '22 had this and I confirmed that that fuse worked

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
#8, 5A, Telematic Control Unit - Modem. Passenger compartment fuse panel. My manual for my '22 had this and I confirmed that that fuse worked
This is on the Ford site for 2022 Mustang. I haven't looked in my actual book yet as it is at home.

1710349862474-3t.png

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't like to mess with the fuses.. that is why I pulled the plug on the modem itself.
Both work, but it's definitely more convenient to pull a single fuse. As time goes on manufacturers will integrate this stuff into more systems so that it gets harder and harder to disable.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Both work, but it's definitely more convenient to pull a single fuse. As time goes on manufacturers will integrate this stuff into more systems so that it gets harder and harder to disable.
S650 is already going that route by all accounts. Havenā€™t dug into it much since I donā€™t own one

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
S650 is already going that route by all accounts. Havenā€™t dug into it much since I donā€™t own one
I don't think there's anything important on the S650 that would "break" if you cutoff the modem connectivity... Although with how much software is on there, you may miss out on OTA updates, some of which you may actually want.

But we're probably a decent ways away from cars just not working without these modems. No matter what kinda crazy ass tech they have, they have to be able to work without an internet connection (think driving in the middle of nowhere, through a tunnel, with a network or tower failure, etc)... I'm sure some cars will start giving you major warnings or even disabling systems without a connection after enough time, but I don't think the Mustang is close to that yet. Even the S650. Probably.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I'm still not sure if there's anything important on the S650 that would "break" if you cutoff the modem connectivity... Although with how much software is on there, you may miss out on updates, some of which you may actually want.

But we're probably a decent ways away from cars just not working without these modems. No matter what kinda crazy ass tech they have, they have to be able to work without an internet connection (think driving in the middle of nowhere, through a tunnel, with a network or tower failure, etc)... I'm sure some cars will start giving you major warnings or even disabling systems without a connection after enough time, but I don't think the Mustang is close to that yet. Even the S650. Probably.
Thatā€™s the kinda scary part though. We donā€™t really know how ā€œconnectedā€ S650 really is. I agree, the car probably wonā€™t shut down if you disable the modem that links FordPass. But, that car is much more over the air capable than ours by all accounts, so itā€™s hard to really know for sure. I suppose we could get an answer if we ventured over to 7G and asked.

CharlesC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2022 Raptor, 2019 GT350

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium

rocsteady

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Fuse cover in passenger footwell is a snap to remove and reinstall. Sort of a little triangle, grab where the finger grip is and pull toward center of the car. You'll see how it goes back once you have it off
Sponsored