HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It's simple, to solve the problem, just unplug the modem.
Maybe not so simple on another brand/model but the more info the better. For example, I'm considering a new Tesla S Plaid. I'm thinking it will be much tougher than pulling a fuse or unplugging a cable.
Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Maybe not so simple on another brand/model but the more info the better. For example, I'm considering a new Tesla S Plaid. I'm thinking it will be much tougher than pulling a fuse or unplugging a cable.
That's the wrong kind of car if you are interested in things like this, or modifying it, or have any basic rights over it like... repairing it?

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
How do I disable that & gps tracking on a 2015 Gt?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
After reading this, I'm glad I got a 23 with the 4G wifi hotspot removal. They even gave me a 20 dollar credit.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
After reading this, I'm glad I got a 23 with the 4G wifi hotspot removal. They even gave me a 20 dollar credit.
Thatā€™s not the same thing as this discussion. A few folks clarified that for me as well. The hotspot delete was only for your car acting as wifi for devices such as iPads. I have the same modem delete in my car

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
4G wifi modem has nothing to do with telematics data mining. two seperate modules/systems.

BD

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
How do I disable that & gps tracking on a 2015 Gt?
You don't have it unless you've installed the FordPass module. Even then, the add in version of that for the pre '18 cars was different.

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
You don't have it unless you've installed the FordPass module. Even then, the add in version of that for the pre '18 cars was different.
Ok good I donā€™t want to be tracked lol. Thanks

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ok good I donā€™t want to be tracked lol. Thanks
You mean by Ford? Which is good to stop/prevent. But apps on your phone are probably tracking the location of the phone.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
You mean by Ford? Which is good to stop/prevent. But apps on your phone are probably tracking the location of the phone.
My phone will tell me the precise location where I park my car (Apple maps). I thought I turned that feature off but it seems to turn itself back on after every updateā€¦

Sponsored

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350R & ā€˜19 ZL1 1LE
These types of responses are always puzzling to me, and honestly Iā€™m not sure if you are being serious. But there does seem to be a certain mindset out there that if one company is collecting some data about you, then there is no point in trying to mitigate both (i) what and (ii) how much data companies end up collecting about you. That is, in my opinion, mindless.

Apps on your phone are TRYING to collect data about you including your location. If you are like me youā€™ve gone into your various privacy settings on your phone and are preventing Apps from collecting your location data, and accessing your contact list and microphone and camera. If you are like me you use the privacy settings on your browser. And if you are like me, you donā€™t use Facebook, Insta, X, or any other data collection tool where you (your data) are the product instead of the consumer.

With all of that, I understand there will be various forms of data collection that Iā€™m unaware of, I am in no position to prevent, or I am okay with (like this site). But that does not mean we shouldnā€™t work to mitigate the amount of data that is collected about us. And it also doesnā€™t mean we shouldnā€™t let companies know that stealing our data under the guise of uninformed or unwitting ā€œconsentā€ is not okay.

First Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach1
It appears that Telematics is nothing new. I can appreciate its value for fleet applicationsā€”Even for cars I use daily but in a Mustang where your goal is to drive to feel aliveā€¦I donā€™t think so.

Lots of youtube vids on telematics. Heres oneā€¦.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It appears that Telematics is nothing new. I can appreciate its value for fleet applicationsā€”Even for cars I use daily but in a Mustang where your goal is to drive to feel aliveā€¦I donā€™t think so.

Lots of youtube vids on telematics. Heres oneā€¦.

1. Telematics won't reduce accidents or claims
  2. Premium discounts will reduce insurance company income.
  3. Insurance is regulated and can set premium rates based on claims paid.
Combined, those will result in "base" premium rates increasing exactly as much as the discounts given. So, yeah, so called bad drivers won't have premiums raised because of their driving. But participating bad drivers and EVERYONE else not participating will have those increases built in.

Sort of reminds me of when United Way would let employees specify which particular charities their donations went to BUT United Way would then reduce the amount from other donors by an equal amount to ensure the percent each charity got was exactly what was originally planned/negotiated.

Can't wait for the court cases where a driver plowed thru a bunch of J-Walkers because he would get dinged for braking hard enough to avoid hitting them. No, a driver won't claim that but you can bet some plaintiff will use that Possibility to get deeper into insurance company pockets. How dare they reward drivers for not braking hard enough to save lives!

Last edited:

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium, 76 Harley shovel, 77 KZ1000
The only way at this time for an insurance company to use telematics to monitor your driving habits is if you consent and sign an agreement with them to allow it. They have been lobbying congress to be able to use your vehicles onboard system to monitor you but so far congress has not caved in and passed a law to allow them to do so. I fear it's only a matter of time and money paid to the right people for them to get their way.

When that happens, my car will suddenly go dark.

BD

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The only way at this time for an insurance company to use telematics to monitor your driving habits is if you consent and sign an agreement with them to allow it. They have been lobbying congress to be able to use your vehicles onboard system to monitor you but so far congress has not caved in and passed a law to allow them to do so. I fear it's only a matter of time and money paid to the right people for them to get their way.

When that happens, my car will suddenly go dark.

BD
Did you read all the fine print when they activated your fordpass?

Most don't. You should have seen the look on my salesman's face when I told him I didn't want it activated.

Nice guy, but the majority of folks just don't get it.
Sponsored