Sponsored

2nd 2017 gt350 motor replacement on the horizon

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Sounds to me like you had about 5 quarts to start with, then you drove out the rest.
Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Damn you drive a lot! Sucks to hear man:cheers:

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Something ain't right

How did they come up with "7 quarts low." I've seen posts like this in the past when the oil was at the lower hash marks on the dipstick, then someone way overfilled it. The lower hashes are only about a quart down, not near empty. Agreed as others have stated that it was probably low to begin with, but should have set off a low oil light.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 oxford white/black stripes
1000 miles a week! Man you are sure enjoying the driving.

Given some of the concerns raised on this forum regarding oil usage, I have been and would recommend checking oil level every 500 miles until you are pretty sure if you have excessive consumption or not, then every 1000 miles. Also always check yourself after oil change especially if someone else did it. Just common sense. No disrespect intended but wouldn't go 4000 miles without checking again.

The 1 quart per 500 miles in the manual I believe is a max number for very aggressive/track driving and does not apply to normal driving usage in general. Nevertheless, see above.
Again, replacement motor went 5000 miles before oil change with no issue, also no low oil indicator came on and issue seemed to develop quickly. I guess I assumed any thing lower than 2 quarts would show up as a low oil warning, I drive 180 miles daily for work and don't drive aggresively.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Sorry to hear about your issue and please keep us updated as to what happened. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly.

I'm on my second engine and I drive about 200-300 miles a week. After my last engines oil consumption issues I check it once a week now.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
We've seen enough of these darn failures!! Can the mods put a sticky at the top and a thread saying " check your oil every couple days of driving!"
These cars burn oil. I could see the dealer putting in 2 quarts less and I could see losing 4 quarts or more during 4,000 miles. Personally I haven't lost any oil in my car but I only have 1,000 miles on it. I check it every time I go out.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I appreciate you sharing the info, good luck and hope you keep us informed!

Also, props for dailying the car that much! If you're doing 180/day, 5 days a week, that's 45k miles in 50 weeks! Having had an engine replaced in my 2016, I couldn't afford to give up my powertrain warranty so quickly and foot the bill for an out-of-warranty engine replacement ($22k~ + labor).

Do you have the Recaro or the Convenience seats? I've had both, and despite being a small guy, I couldn't handle that much seat time in the Recaro seats!

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't make since that a new motor would not burn oil for first 5000 miles then start burning oil during the 6-10,000 mile range, maybe because they didn't add enough to begin with the motor had to work extra hard thereby burning oil. Paperwork shows 10 quarts were added. I'm just concerned that dealer will somehow try to blame me or try to fill back up with oil and say everything is fixed. Hasn't motor been compromised since engine knock was experienced for atleast a day?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
It doesn't make since that a new motor would not burn oil for first 5000 miles then start burning oil during the 6-10,000 mile range, maybe because they didn't add enough to begin with the motor had to work extra hard thereby burning oil. Paperwork shows 10 quarts were added. I'm just concerned that dealer will somehow try to blame me or try to fill back up with oil and say everything is fixed. Hasn't motor been compromised since engine knock was experienced for atleast a day?
Paperwork 10 quarts were allocated. Its not really proof it was used. There could be 5 quarts sitting in a corner somewhere.

Id just go through the process with the dealer, There isnt really anything to blame you for.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paperwork 10 quarts were allocated. Its not really proof it was used. There could be 5 quarts sitting in a corner somewhere.

Id just go through the process with the dealer, There isnt really anything to blame you for.
right

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Well 10 qt added means they basically did an oil change, drained all that was left and then added 10 fresh quarts. That is the only correct way to do it if you are not sure how much it is down, and honestly there is no way to really know, the dipstick tells you that you have between 0 qts and 9-10 qt. (once oil touches the dipstick remember lower hashes is 1 qt down, upper hashes is 10 qt.)

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I does not mean low oil level was / is the problem... As long as the oil pump has enough oil to prime and push it through the engine, no problem... I believe something else went amiss here... a low oil indicator will come up on these cars for sure (I won't test it though :) ).

Good luck with this , sorry to hear, I cringe when I read these posts .

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
As has been said many times. Check your oil every time you fill up, and right after dealer service, mine was 1 qt low after the oil line recall. If you do not do this you risk your motor.

Peter

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
Is there a "critical" oil level to consider. Lower line is 9 qts, top line is 10 qts. So if you drive the last 1000 miles with the oil level close to the lower line, is that bad, or ok, since its between high a low levels.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
:popcorn: I'm curious what the dealer says. I hope they don't try to pin it on you.
Sponsored