2nd 2017 gt350 motor replacement on the horizon

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
It doesn't make since that a new motor would not burn oil for first 5000 miles then start burning oil during the 6-10,000 mile range, maybe because they didn't add enough to begin with the motor had to work extra hard thereby burning oil. Paperwork shows 10 quarts were added. I'm just concerned that dealer will somehow try to blame me or try to fill back up with oil and say everything is fixed. Hasn't motor been compromised since engine knock was experienced for atleast a day?
I don't think they'd have a case trying to blame you for the failure since they did the oil change and no idiot light came on to warn you of low oil level.
Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Wouldn't a "low oil" light or indication come on somewhere if that was the case?
My damn filter came loose and there was no warning light. Thank god I was paying attention and immediately shut it down at the first smell of hot oil. I guess I should be happy it didn't catch fire.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
As has been said many times. Check your oil every time you fill up, and right after dealer service, mine was 1 qt low after the oil line recall. If you do not do this you risk your motor.

Peter
So many horror stories of dealers putting in oil consistent with a GT. 10 quarts is an awful lot.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Chase527, I feel your pain!!!!! DAMMIT MAN!!! I feel it!!!! I am selling my car to my dealer and picking up a 16R in two weeks. No more engine replacements. once is too many. I hope I have better luck with the R and I hope you do with your 2nd replacement engine.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Is there a "critical" oil level to consider. Lower line is 9 qts, top line is 10 qts. So if you drive the last 1000 miles with the oil level close to the lower line, is that bad, or ok, since its between high a low levels.
It's ok if the oil level is close to the lower line.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
Is there a "critical" oil level to consider. Lower line is 9 qts, top line is 10 qts. So if you drive the last 1000 miles with the oil level close to the lower line, is that bad, or ok, since its between high a low levels.
Take this for what it is, but a knowledgeable service tech at my dealer said the Voodoo could probably be driven normally 2-3 quarts low with no damage. He said the 10 quarts are for tracking the car and making sure there's enough oil during high g turns, acceleration/deceleration.

I wouldn't be comfortable running it that low in my own car, but that is what was told to me.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350 oxford white/black stripes
Minor update, got a call from service rep today and was informed that they filled car with oil and engine knock is definitely present. Currently they are awaiting orders from ford since they are not allowed to open up voodoo motor, most likely ford will instruct them to remove motor and install new crate motor once it arrives. Hopefully one is already built. As far as ever determining source of failure, we will probably never know. Next time I speak with them I will be sure to ask if its possible one of their techs did not use enough oil during oil change, although its probably a waste of breath.

OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We've seen enough of these darn failures!! Can the mods put a sticky at the top and a thread saying " check your oil every couple days of driving!"
These cars burn oil. I could see the dealer putting in 2 quarts less and I could see losing 4 quarts or more during 4,000 miles. Personally I haven't lost any oil in my car but I only have 1,000 miles on it. I check it every time I go out.
I realized that this is not the car for me, owning a 2017 car that requires checking oil every 500 miles is not practical, I drive 500 miles every 2.5 days, I've never owned a car that needed this level of attention and I've owned lots of makes and models. Should I have checked oil in hindsight? Probably yes, but it seems absurd to me to have a dealer perform oil change, put a sticker in my window stating next service in 10k and never inform me of the need to check oil periodically ( every 500 miles) because "these cars burn oil".

Last edited:
OP
OP

chase527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As has been said many times. Check your oil every time you fill up, and right after dealer service, mine was 1 qt low after the oil line recall. If you do not do this you risk your motor.

Peter
Thats not practical

Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
You right Chase not the car for you.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I realized that this is not the car for me, owning a 2017 car that requires checking oil every 500 miles is not practical, I drive 500 miles every 2.5 days, I've never owned a car that needed this level of attention and I've owned lots of makes and models. Should I have checked oil in hindsight? Probably yes, but it seems absurd to me to have a dealer perform oil change, put a sticker in my window stating next service in 10k and never inform me of the need to check oil periodically ( every 500 miles) because "these cars burn oil".
No you don't really need to check the oil that often. Maybe if they are 500 track miles, but not 500 street miles. You've had bad luck with your car, but in my opinion (based on your comments here) there's absolutely nothing you did wrong.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i applaud you for driving nearly 200 miles a day in something like this. you must love fun:headbang:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I'm giving the guy a break. It is pretty crazy on a modern car how often you have to check the oil in this thing to make sure you don't run low or out. Even during normal driving.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Given the problems I had with my last 350, and reading all the stories of other owners, I check my oil every 200~ miles :crazy:

Though, I drive it about that much per week lol. I'll typically check it Saturday or Sunday morning before taking it out for a drive or to a meet or whatever. I'll then check it again hot one of those evening when I get home. Turn the car off, pop the hood, come back 5 min later and check the oil. I don't really view it as an inconvenience, I think of it as a race car that needs more maintenance than a common boring car. In 3 voodoos, I've been lucky to not have excessive oil consumption.
Sponsored