2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Come on Todd I love ya but your comment is ridiculous.

No Ford didn't respond to MT article within a week...they responded over the last 6 months and seeing the competition that the Camaro is eating their lunch and dinners. Like it or not Chevy delivered in the performance category in spades.

Sure Ford picked BMW/Porsche/Audi as benchmarks but Chevy picked them also and is actually handing it to them in their base SS model...while Ford requires their GT350 to be in the same ballpark.

So Ford can sit there and say...we don't car about Camaro...that's fine...Camaro targeted the same cars that Ford did and is making good.

The report was also supposedly a year ago...my guess is still that they realized they couldn't be on a 7-8 year refresh cycle anymore and with competition across the board needed to keep things fresh.
1: No, the Camaro didn't "hand BMW/Porsche/Audi their lunch and dinners". It matched the M4 in performance metrics and lost by a few tenths on the track, but still got the overall win. The 2011 S197 Mustang did this to the E93 M3 back in 2011 and MT gave the BMW the win. It boils down to the automotive press have a vested interest in hyping up GM, both because it creates a great "comeback hero" narrative and it keeps those GM sponsorship and advertising dollars flowing. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.

2: The Ford timeline for the S550 was set years ago, and except for very minor stuff, isn't going to be changed by the Camaro. The decision to shift the generation change from 2023 to 2020 was made prior to June 2015, it was only reported in June 2015. Might the Camaro be influencing things now? Sure. However, with sales going so well, and the Camaro progressively moving up market and not setting the sales world on fire with amazing numbers being moved, I doubt Ford is losing a ton of sleep over the Camaro.

I promise you, people who traditionally buy performance trims of EuroCar brands...(BMW M cars, Audi RS series, Porsche GTX etc) are not suddenly going to be like a repentant sinner having a born again moment and see the gross errors of their ways and beg father GM for forgiveness and adopt the Camaro. They view the M3/M4/M5, RS, GT3, etc..as what they're intended to be: performance status symbols.

And try so hard as it might, perform as well as it can and be a performance bargain (which it is)..the Camaro will not be shedding the stigma of the 3rd and 4th Gen anytime soon.
Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
This wait will be just as bad as it was for the 6th gen for me. Hopefully all the stuff that gets sent out to suppliers can still be intercepted by the likes of member chazcron, and we can get an accurate look at the new car well ahead. I'm going to start saving for it now...

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Making a car light is easy.

Making a car affordable, also easy.

Making a high performance car, fairly easy

Making a high performance car that is light and affordable, extremely hard.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Come on Todd I love ya but your comment is ridiculous.

No Ford didn't respond to MT article within a week...they responded over the last 6 months and seeing the competition that the Camaro is eating their lunch and dinners. Like it or not Chevy delivered in the performance category in spades.

Sure Ford picked BMW/Porsche/Audi as benchmarks but Chevy picked them also and is actually handing it to them in their base SS model...while Ford requires their GT350 to be in the same ballpark.

So Ford can sit there and say...we don't car about Camaro...that's fine...Camaro targeted the same cars that Ford did and is making good.

The report was also supposedly a year ago...my guess is still that they realized they couldn't be on a 7-8 year refresh cycle anymore and with competition across the board needed to keep things fresh.
:love::love::D

How is the base SS handing them their asses? I guess I missed where that happened? It beat the M4 on some things, yes but not an ass whipping.

It is obvious that Ford has a much different plan of attack vs. what many folks here think, in particular the GM folks or folks that swing the GM way, if you will.

I am dying to understand how this plan that Ford has put forth is failing? It isn't. Look how many foreign car owners have bought the S550. There are tons right on this board that have either sold their BMW/Audi/Porsche and bought an S550 OR added the S550 to their arsenal. Again, that speaks volume of the appeal of this car, whether or not folks think it is lacking performance or you have to step up to the GT350. The GTPP is not a lack luster performer by any means. Tons of videos and time attacks to show this, in stock form, too.

Based on what I have seen posted on the Chevy boards, that is certainly not happening with the 6G Camaro, regardless of the great performance it puts out. That says a lot right there.

I don't even pay attention to the testing that comes out anymore. I buy the car that moves me in many different areas. Yes, I bleed Ford blue, always will. That is great for me and others call me an idiot for missing out. That is their opinion just like mine is to bleed blue. The new Camaros have never moved me, at all. Nothing I like visually about them. Give me a 1969 or 1973 Z28split bumper and I will proudly become a Camaro owner, no questions asked. I am sure I will buy one and add it to my collection anyway. This car below is pure sex:love::love::love: in my eyes. Just visually stunning. If the 6G came out with something looking like this, would be a tough touch, no doubt.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Making a car light is easy.

Making a car affordable, also easy.

Making a high performance car, fairly easy

Making a high performance car that is light and affordable, extremely hard.
True dat! Just wait for the next 2-4 years where these new lightweight materials become mainstream....OH YEAH:D

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
:love::love::D

How is the base SS handing them their asses? I guess I missed where that happened? It beat the M4 on some things, yes but not an ass whipping.

It is obvious that Ford has a much different plan of attack vs. what many folks here think, in particular the GM folks or folks that swing the GM way, if you will.

I am dying to understand how this plan that Ford has put forth is failing? It isn't. Look how many foreign car owners have bought the S550. There are tons right on this board that have either sold their BMW/Audi/Porsche and bought an S550 OR added the S550 to their arsenal. Again, that speaks volume of the appeal of this car, whether or not folks think it is lacking performance or you have to step up to the GT350. The GTPP is not a lack luster performer by any means. Tons of videos and time attacks to show this, in stock form, too.

Based on what I have seen posted on the Chevy boards, that is certainly not happening with the 6G Camaro, regardless of the great performance it puts out. That says a lot right there.

I don't even pay attention to the testing that comes out anymore. I buy the car that moves me in many different areas. Yes, I bleed Ford blue, always will. That is great for me and others call me an idiot for missing out. That is their opinion just like mine is to bleed blue. The new Camaros have never moved me, at all. Nothing I like visually about them. Give me a 1969 or 1973 Z28split bumper and I will proudly become a Camaro owner, no questions asked. I am sure I will buy one and add it to my collection anyway. This car below is pure sex:love::love::love: in my eyes. Just visually stunning. If the 6G came out with something looking like this, would be a tough touch, no doubt.
Oh the old ones bar none look better. Even MT called out the looks on the 6G.

In terms of the base SS MT made the point that is the car they'd want over the 2SS...and what I'm saying is a $37.5k SS is competing and surpassing in some aspects cars twice it's value that it would never be put up against in the past. To me that's an ass kicking. You have to spend all that on an M4 and a base SS is right there or passing it. That's also amazing to me and great work by their engineers.

Yes that car is amazing looking. Too bad they didn't go that way. Not sure why they went with the tank design. :shrug:

All I'm saying is I wish Ford went this far as Chevy did with the weight, size, performance, etc with the S550 in the '15 vs the best coming in '18 MY. I'd rather have someone go for broke vs piecemeal. I'll enjoy the '18 when it hits. Already have everything saved up and making interest on it. :)

I really like the '69 Yenko Camaro.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
Oh the old ones bar none look better. Even MT called out the looks on the 6G.

In terms of the base SS MT made the point that is the car they'd want over the 2SS...and what I'm saying is a $37.5k SS is competing and surpassing in some aspects cars twice it's value that it would never be put up against in the past. To me that's an ass kicking. You have to spend all that on an M4 and a base SS is right there or passing it. That's also amazing to me and great work by their engineers.

Yes that car is amazing looking. Too bad they didn't go that way. Not sure why they went with the tank design. :shrug:

All I'm saying is I wish Ford went this far as Chevy did with the weight, size, performance, etc with the S550 in the '15 vs the best coming in '18 MY. I'd rather have someone go for broke vs piecemeal. I'll enjoy the '18 when it hits. Already have everything saved up and making interest on it. :)

I really like the '69 Yenko Camaro.

I love the '69 Yenko, too. Pure:love::love::love:

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
Nice move bringing the new 7th generation 2 years earlier. An ecoboost 6 twin turbo in its engine bay as an option? It will be without a doubt , even more sleeker looking than S550. The main question for me is the consumer price that will be on the window sticker. 2020 is the 55Th Anniversary of Mustang. Will there be an Anniversary edition model in 2020 . Gen 6 or gen 7? :ford::headbang:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
2020 is the 55Th Anniversary of Mustang. Will there be an Anniversary edition model in 2020 . Gen 6 or gen 7? :ford::headbang:
Ford celebrated the 50th anniversary in April 2014, showing the '15MY S550 in very early production spec.

So, the 55th anniversary would be in April 2019.

Given the dates indicated in the article (see below), S650 would still be a year away from production, which is scheduled to start in May 2020 as a '21MY.

Therefore, I'd expect the 55th Anniversary addition to be a '20MY S550

:)

"Program code for the next‐generation Mustang (S550(ng)) has been changed to S650 and the SOP has been shifted back from January 2022 to May 2020. Subsequently, the EOP for the S550 has been moved to April 2020"

jvivlemore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang (Metallic Grey)
I know this is slightly off topic so don't shoot me but whatever came of the Ford Bronco rumor that seemed to service again recently? I recall something about Ford introducing new SUV's and one of them was apparently that? Was all of that rumor?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.