Not open for further replies.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Then competition from whom? Or do you think competition had nothing to do with this change?

One of the cars Ford stated as a benchmark for the S550 is the same car the Camaro just handed its ass to, the M4. I don't think it is completely out of the realm of possibility to assume Ford is watching GM do a better job at achieving Ford's goals against cars like M4, than Ford is.

Reasons aside, I'll gladly welcome a completely new GT in 2020 when I'll be in the market for a new sports car.
Porsche, BMW. I am sure Ford still pays attention to the Camaro but back in 2014 there were tons of posts here about Ford's intended targets and why all explained by Dave P. and others within the Mustang group.

How do you know what Ford's goals are? It is quite apparent what their plan of attack was/is vs. what Chevy did. Seems like they know what they are doing, too.

I will gladly welcome the 7G Mustang, too. The 6G was a grand slam in my eyes. I have perfected it even more with my suspension, wheels, tires and other upgrades.

I will add the 7G in my garage along side my 6G:cheers:

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner
It's funny because back in October 2010 when they put the 2011 GT vs the M3 the GT lost at streets of willow by less than a tenth of a second to the M3 and motortrend said a win is a win and that the M3 won.

Fast forward to 2016 and the SS loses to the M4 by a larger margin than the GT did to the M3 and they shout from the rooftops how much better the SS is and how it beat the M4.

Now I'm not into conspiracy theory but that grinds my gears (just a little bit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What else should we expect from General Motors Trend?

gtlaw

JcRoush hater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
I'm really hoping this car will get the aluminum F150 treatment and the voodoo.

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
This. 3550 lb Mustang will be glorious.
With all of the existing aluminum components already, I just do not see that much weight on the table. I am sure they can save some, but not 300 lbs without shrinking the size, and I think that would be a mistake sales wise.

Stunna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium CS
Start saving for the greatest, hopefully they keep the V8 with better gas mileage!

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
With all of the existing aluminum components already, I just do not see that much weight on the table. I am sure they can save some, but not 300 lbs without shrinking the size, and I think that would be a mistake sales wise.
Love the trunk space and that two people fit in the backseats for short distances. Shrinking the size would be the wrong way to save weigth imho. There are enough sports cars with way too limited space for a daily driver. Just take a look how much trunkspace was lost from 5th to 6th gen Camaro.

Start saving for the greatest, hopefully they keep the V8 with better gas mileage!
I don't think the usual V8 buyer cares that much about mileage :D

Stunna

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium CS
You are correct, I went from putting gas every 10 days in my previous car to every 4 days, have to love it!

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Love the trunk space and that two people fit in the backseats for short distances. Shrinking the size would be the wrong way to save weigth imho. There are enough sports cars with way too limited space for a daily driver. Just take a look how much trunkspace was lost from 5th to 6th gen Camaro.
Exactly! Saw a post on Camaro6 where a guy was talking about how he dispelled the myth that the trunk was small, he fit a set of golf clubs in his car by taking a number of them out and fitting them front to back with the back seats folded. I have put two sets in the trunk of my convertible with no problem and there is still extra room. That is my "can I live with this car" test, and my GT 'Vert passed it with flying colors. Also, my kids are quite comfortable with plenty of legroom in my normal driving position. No way I would have considered the Camaro.

Sponsored

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
I don't think the usual V8 buyer cares that much about mileage :D
I think they care about (especially when it's $3.00 again), I just don't think they stress about it as much as other types of car buyers do.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You mean CHEVYtrend? I mean cmon.

And this push up didnt happen overnight, it was probably done well before the new Camaro was unveiled. The Camaro only sold about just over half the Mustang last month; go look at the mustang6g homepage. There's no competition from Dodge or Chevy, it's not even close- WELL over 1,000+ more cars per month

It seemed odd waiting 7 years between refreshes. The more "retro" S197 lasted 2005-2009, then a refresh 2010-2014 (slight look updates in that). 4-5 years for a body style refresh is about right

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
This report was created in June of 2015, after the 6th Gen Camaro unveiling but long before any reviews or comparison tests.

The actual decision was probably made in May of 2015.

Camaro folks seem to think this was a knee jerk reaction. In general I've found GM fans don't have a very firm grasp on how car companies work.

I miss the old S197 5.0 vs LSX Gen 5 Camaro days...they were fun. The S550 vs Gen 6 rivalry has a decidedly nastier, more hostile and hateful tone.

Last edited:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Not competition from the Camaro. Ford has stated a ton who their competition is and what they used as cars for their S550 program.

You honestly believe that? Due to that MT comparison, Ford responds within a week and moves their program up by 2 years. Come on now.

I disagree.
Come on Todd I love ya but your comment is ridiculous.

No Ford didn't respond to MT article within a week...they responded over the last 6 months and seeing the competition that the Camaro is eating their lunch and dinners. Like it or not Chevy delivered in the performance category in spades.

Sure Ford picked BMW/Porsche/Audi as benchmarks but Chevy picked them also and is actually handing it to them in their base SS model...while Ford requires their GT350 to be in the same ballpark.

So Ford can sit there and say...we don't car about Camaro...that's fine...Camaro targeted the same cars that Ford did and is making good.

The report was also supposedly a year ago...my guess is still that they realized they couldn't be on a 7-8 year refresh cycle anymore and with competition across the board needed to keep things fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.