Sponsored

2018 Mustang Information (Options/Packages, Colors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
No, it won't unless you don't like to shift. More is better when it comes to many things such as sex, money, shifting, etc..
Fun factor between manual and auto is huge. To me, I think driving an automatic would be boring on a daily drive. Sure, manuals can suck in traffic, but the trade off and fun I think is worth it.

Sad to see manual transmissions are a dying art due to computers and the technology now in automatics, but it is still a fantastic skill to have and master. Makes you a better and alert daily driver imo.

I wish our laws were similar to some countries in Europe where you have to know how to drive a manual transmission just to get your license. I'm all for that.
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Whenever someone praises an automatic, or brings up something concerning an automatic, or ANYTHING related to an automatic...it's like ringing the dinner bell for the manual faithful to come charging in about their transmission of choice.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Whenever someone praises an automatic, or brings up something concerning an automatic, or ANYTHING related to an automatic...it's like ringing the dinner bell for the manual faithful to come charging in about their transmission of choice.
Welcome to every car forum ever made.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
No, but if you honestly believe auto is more fun (nothing to do with objective speed here), then you only care about going straight. For driving enjoyment on a back road or track, a manual is definitely more fun, and makes slow cars fun, too.

For many, an auto is a necessity because of traffic, bad knees, etc. That's fine and for them I'm glad the 6R80 is so robust and the 10 speed is coming that will be quicker and more efficient. It's also the best option for a drag car because it can handle more power and will shift faster than we can.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
:headbonk:
I never said it was going to translate realistically to the driver, just that there's a numerical benefit. Whether or not the noise factors in the real world allow it to be realized is a different story. Either way, more ratios gives more options to place the engine in a region of higher operating efficiency.
You're right. I just wish those ratios pushed the envelope a bit further. I live in texas and we drive 70-85mph on the freeway legally. I would like a transmission that allows us to do so efficiently instead of adhering to regulations that are unlikely to survive the next administration anyway.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Ever since I broke my left ankle, clutching is not very consistent, so my next stang will be an automatic 6 or 10 speed.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
.69 to .64 is not close to 10% reduction, it' so just over 7%. When you compare that to the 19% differential between gears 8 and 9, it suggests that the ratios were tuned for control windows, or limited performance envelopes.

Having fit a curve, I have found that 10th gear is not in fact too short, 9th is too tall. 8th gear is correct, but 7th is also too tall. 1st through 6th are correct. Perhaps correct is the wrong word to use though, as it assumes that all gears are intended to be applied as a sequential progression. It would seem that they are in fact not.

What we have here is an 8 speed sequence with (tertiary) underdrive gears for the 7th and 8th sequence.

Having applied final drive ratios and compared them with average speed and acceleration tables, I found no correlation. Having compared the same ratios to EPA testing windows, I found a match.

Essentially, it seems the gear set gives up real world fuel economy for higher EPA fuel economy scores.
Someone with the correct know how translate those gear ratios to speeds with engine around 1,100 rpms. (+- some based on rear end ratios / tire sizes, etc.)

I'm going to GUESS that:
1st-6th is linear for acceleration and any speed from about 0-60mph.

Then...
7th is optimized for maintaining speed on 55mph roads,
8th for 65mph roads
9th jumps up to 75mph
and 10th for speeders and higher speeds like 80mph

The ratio of gear changes nearly matches the ratio for those different speeds.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Doubt it, they make gear ratios for fuel economy based on epa and cafe regulations. They only care about those tests and not what the consumer will do in the real world. Yes they should gear for 85 mph cruizung but they typically only account for speeds up to 55 or 60 mph. The regulations need to be changed in order for them to use better spaced OD gears.

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Doubt it, they make gear ratios for fuel economy based on epa and cafe regulations. They only care about those tests and not what the consumer will do in the real world. Yes they should gear for 85 mph cruizung but they typically only account for speeds up to 55 or 60 mph. The regulations need to be changed in order for them to use better spaced OD gears.
Thats why they have 10 :) few gears to fool the tests and a few gears for the customer to have fun.

Sponsored

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Anyone hear anything about changes to the EcoBoost engine for MY18?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone hear anything about changes to the EcoBoost engine for MY18?
Minor. It's likely to have a few items from the RS, but no significant pump in power (maybe 5-10).

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
As far as powertrain upgrades, really isn't known right now.
Gotcha, figured as much but havn't kept up on my reading lately. I'm making the blind assumption that they wont provide MY18 with additional power. The stock tune the Eco comes with is cruel compared to what you get out of that I4 after any aftermarket tuner. Hopefully they at the very least provide the new one with an intercooler that doesnt suck.

Regarding the body style changes, I really hope they don't change the slant of the rear end. The rear end of the S550 caught me off guard the first time I saw it, I think its perfect as is.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Got it now...10 gears is for gaming the EPA. So sad...:(
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.