Sponsored

2018 Mustang Information (Options/Packages, Colors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I'm looking forward to see what kind of sound systems will be offered for the 2018 !!
From what I heard, Its coming with SYNC 3 V2.0 with the ability to upgrade to SYNC 4 by the end of the year. :gossip:
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
4 OD gears? So you can idle on the highway?
Does anyone know what the ratios are?

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible CS
I'm looking forward to see what kind of sound systems will be offered for the 2018 !!
It's a few months old, but from Automobile, September, 2016:

"While Ford will continue to use Shaker audio systems for the Mustang, a Ford spokesperson confirms that anywhere you currently see a Sony system (Focus, Fusion, Explorer Platinum, to name a few) it will soon be replaced with a B&O Play system."

Sponsored

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Based on the fact that it seems Ford is adopting some GT styling cues for the upcoming Fiesta, I think it could definitely make sense for someone here to try photoshopping the lower portion of the GT's front bumper onto the Mustang. Frankly, I'm actually surprised I haven't seen anyone try it yet.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If fuel economy is the goal, tenth seems like a bit of a waste. Why even include another OD gear if it's only 4 hundredths of a turn taller? It seems to me it would have made a hell of a lot more sense to round out the package with a .55 ratio for 80mph cruising.... or maybe a 2nd Reverse gear :headbonk:
Because then it can downshift into 9th almost imperceptibly for slight hills on the highway to give just a bit more torque instead of kicking down significantly and spiking fuel consumption.

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Because then it can downshift into 9th almost imperceptibly for slight hills on the highway to give just a bit more torque instead of kicking down significantly and spiking fuel consumption.
That doesn't make sense. If ninth gear is .69 in either case then the fuel economy for tenth would just be that much lower at .64. That'said not an improvement, it's a farce.

Shark77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MS3
That doesn't make sense. If ninth gear is .69 in either case then the fuel economy for tenth would just be that much lower at .64. That'said not an improvement, it's a farce.
Let's put some perspective on this...

>$1 billion went into developing this transmission between Ford and GM. Occam's razor would suggest this isn't a marketing scheme, but rather built on engineering since a partnership between competitors is involved and a tremendous amount of money has been invested. They're both trying to comply with upcoming CAFE standards.

Specifically, to your comment about .69 to .64: that's almost a 10% reduction in RPM between gears. The goal to maximize fuel economy at a steady state is producing the absolute minimal amount of HP to keep a vehicle at a given speed. So, because of frictional losses in the same engine a lower RPM will allow for less HP to be produced to maintain that given speed.

Sponsored

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Let's put some perspective on this...

>$1 billion went into developing this transmission between Ford and GM. Occam's razor would suggest this isn't a marketing scheme, but rather built on engineering since a partnership between competitors is involved and a tremendous amount of money has been invested. They're both trying to comply with upcoming CAFE standards.

Specifically, to your comment about .69 to .64: that's almost a 10% reduction in RPM between gears. The goal to maximize fuel economy at a steady state is producing the absolute minimal amount of HP to keep a vehicle at a given speed. So, because of frictional losses in the same engine a lower RPM will allow for less HP to be produced to maintain that given speed.
.69 to .64 is not close to 10% reduction, it' so just over 7%. When you compare that to the 19% differential between gears 8 and 9, it suggests that the ratios were tuned for control windows, or limited performance envelopes.

Having fit a curve, I have found that 10th gear is not in fact too short, 9th is too tall. 8th gear is correct, but 7th is also too tall. 1st through 6th are correct. Perhaps correct is the wrong word to use though, as it assumes that all gears are intended to be applied as a sequential progression. It would seem that they are in fact not.

What we have here is an 8 speed sequence with (tertiary) underdrive gears for the 7th and 8th sequence.

Having applied final drive ratios and compared them with average speed and acceleration tables, I found no correlation. Having compared the same ratios to EPA testing windows, I found a match.

Essentially, it seems the gear set gives up real world fuel economy for higher EPA fuel economy scores.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
ZF don't have a 10-speed, although I suspect they are/will be working on one.

IIRC, the 6-speed in the Mustang is based on the 6-speed ZF design (not sure if it was built under license).

I would assume Ford wouldn't want to throw away the strengths of the 6-speed, but whether the 10-speed is a clean sheet design, or a heavily revised 6-speed, I don't know.
ZF has a 9-, 12-, and 16-speed. I doubt a 10 would do them much good. :thumbsup:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
.69 to .64 is not close to 10% reduction, it' so just over 7%. When you compare that to the 19% differential between gears 8 and 9, it suggests that the ratios were tuned for control windows, or limited performance envelopes.

Having fit a curve, I have found that 10th gear is not in fact too short, 9th is too tall. 8th gear is correct, but 7th is also too tall. 1st through 6th are correct. Perhaps correct is the wrong word to use though, as it assumes that all gears are intended to be applied as a sequential progression. It would seem that they are in fact not.

What we have here is an 8 speed sequence with (tertiary) underdrive gears for the 7th and 8th sequence.

Having applied final drive ratios and compared them with average speed and acceleration tables, I found no correlation. Having compared the same ratios to EPA testing windows, I found a match.

Essentially, it seems the gear set gives up real world fuel economy for higher EPA fuel economy scores.
I never said it was going to translate realistically to the driver, just that there's a numerical benefit. Whether or not the noise factors in the real world allow it to be realized is a different story. Either way, more ratios gives more options to place the engine in a region of higher operating efficiency.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
That'said not an improvement, it's a farce.
The 10spd auto in the Camaro ZL1 is faster than the manual around a race track. It shifts faster than Porsche's PDK.

It's not a farce, it's the future, even for those that track their cars.

Plus, if you drive in traffic, it would be a God send. You get the fastest version of the Mustang, with an auto-trans.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Plus, if you drive in traffic, it would be a God send.
No, it won't unless you don't like to shift. More is better when it comes to many things such as sex, money, shifting, etc..
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.