2018 Ford Mustang Digital or Analog Gauges

2018 Ford Mustang - Digital or Analog Gauges

• Total voters

Dschaefs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
One of the main reasons I waited for the 2018 was for the digital gauges. They look soooo good.
Sponsored

Since-64'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (soon)
The digital cluster is the only reason for me to move up to a premium GT, which isn't enough of a reason to drop the extra money. I do wish the digital cluster were an option on the base GT.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Voted analog but only because of cost and the need for leather seats. If 301A included digital that would be fine.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Digital here, but only because I need to have it to get the heated steering wheel.

I used to think heated wheels were a gimmick...after driving a few cars with them in the dead of winter, I refuse to buy another vehicle without them :D

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
"GROUND SPEED" nuff said.

Sponsored

Since-64'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT (soon)
Voted analog but only because of cost and the need for leather seats. If 301A included digital that would be fine.
Exactly, it would have been nice if the 301A had included the digital cluster. Would have made sense IMO.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
OP left out the best (IMO) digital mode which is a mix of the first two.

New-Ford-Mustang-12-inch-LCD-digital-instrument-cluster-in-Sport-View-640x256.jpg

Normally I'm a big fan of physical analog guages. But the sweet spot of the tach should be as close to front and center as possible. The Mustang gauge layout with the speedo and the tach splayed out to make room for an ancillary display in the middle has always bothered me.

A digital display presenting an analog tach properly positioned is better than a physical analog gauge six inches off to one side.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
New-Ford-Mustang-12-inch-LCD-digital-instrument-cluster-in-Sport-View-640x256.jpg

Normally I'm a big fan of physical analog guages. But the sweet spot of the tach should be as close to front and center as possible. The Mustang gauge layout with the speedo and the tach splayed out to make room for an ancillary display in the middle has always bothered me.
Isn't that mostly a consequence of the steering wheel dimensions - wheel inside diameter, spoke size/location, and airbag-containing horn button bulk? There used to be more room, and I think that less was sacrificed in spreading the major instruments apart and maintaining their size than making them smaller so they could be made to fit in close. Moving the minor gauges outboard would most likely end up hiding them almost completely behind today's (thicker) steering wheels.

The tach display in the above picture is spread out to well over half the total IP width. You don't need the kind of resolution that provides, nor can you even use it when the rpms are rising rapidly. The only thing it's got going for it is that the middle rpm range is not all squished together like the 50 - 70 mph range used to be on some mechanical speedometer designs of the 1960's.

I really do like what is possible with digital displays, but they still have to 'work' for the user with minimal effort and use the available viewing space appropriately.

Norm

Last edited:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Isn't that mostly a consequence of the steering wheel dimensions - wheel inside diameter, spoke size/location, and airbag-containing horn button bulk? There used to be more room, and I think that less was sacrificed in spreading the major instruments apart and maintaining their size than making them smaller so they could be made to fit in close. Moving the minor gauges outboard would most likely end up hiding them almost completely behind today's (thicker) steering wheels.

The tach display in the above picture is spread out to well over half the total IP width. You don't need the kind of resolution that provides, nor can you even use it when the rpms are rising rapidly. The only thing it's got going for it is that the middle rpm range is not all squished together like the 50 - 70 mph range used to be on some mechanical speedometer designs of the 1960's.

Norm
Honestly, an integrated shift light is the only thing missing from the current gen dash. While I wouldn't complain about having the new digital dash, I certainly wouldn't pay an exorbitant amount more for it. If someone could figure out how to turn the gauges red at a set-able RPM (both day and night), that would be fantastic.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Speaking of gauge cluster designed - I was dropped off at my office by my service shop in a 05 Buick last week. I couldn't believe the size of the fuel gauge...at least the new cluster layout doesn't resemble this :D

2005-buick-century.jpg

Sponsored

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
At least to me, it isn't the resolution of the tach, but that it puts the higher RPM's (shift points) dead center in front of you.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
Speaking of gauge cluster designed - I was dropped off at my office by my service shop in a 05 Buick last week. I couldn't believe the size of the fuel gauge...at least the new cluster layout doesn't resemble this :D

2005-buick-century.jpg
so the old people can see....kinda like the "large" print editions of books...
plus its a buick....enough said.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
At least to me, it isn't the resolution of the tach, but that it puts the higher RPM's (shift points) dead center in front of you.
Exactly. With the critical point of the tach dead center it's very easy to see at a glance even when you're rapidly climbing toward redline.

My favorite gauge cluster was on my RX8. Big tach in the center with the sweet spot top dead center. Digital speedo is fine because you care more about exact numbers at cruise and less about the relative number as it changes. Ancillary information displays can go in the center stack.

NOLA_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'89 GT Conv, '03 GT
The only thing I don't like about the digital gauge is a problem I have with my motorcycle. Shifting through the gears is fine, but when you are cruising and happen to be right in between bars on the tach, you end up with a blinking light from the bar you are barely hitting going on and off. It drives me crazy on my bike.

Of course none of that matters since I'm not allowed to have a digital gauge because I happen to like carbon fiber more...
Sponsored