Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I still can't believe the tach was optional on the '73-'79 C/Ks
A tach wasn't standard equipment on the 1979 Malibu either, not even when the available 4-barrel 305 with 4-speed manual and Positraction axle options were selected.

I find that it's only during easy driving that I'll look at the tach (or the speedometer or any other gauge, for that matter). When the driving enthusiasm gets dialed up I'm looking out the windshield for where I want to place the car and not paying the instrument panel any attention at all. During such times a digital IP could go completely dark and I probably wouldn't notice.

Norm
Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
No doubt I am Old School. My philosophy was always "Less is More" Digital is really impressive but I just like the look and function of actual gauges something you can see and feel. If your battery fails you can still read water temp, oil pressure, boost , vacuum, fuel pressure, Rpm's You get the idea.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
A tach wasn't standard equipment on the 1979 Malibu either, not even when the available 4-barrel 305 with 4-speed manual and Positraction axle options were selected.

I find that it's only during easy driving that I'll look at the tach (or the speedometer or any other gauge, for that matter). When the driving enthusiasm gets dialed up I'm looking out the windshield for where I want to place the car and not paying the instrument panel any attention at all. During such times a digital IP could go completely dark and I probably wouldn't notice.

Norm
Haha, was thinking the same thing. During spirited driving, a shift light would however be convenient.

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
No doubt I am Old School. My philosophy was always "Less is More" Digital is really impressive but I just like the look and function of actual gauges something you can see and feel. If your battery fails you can still read water temp, oil pressure, boost , vacuum, fuel pressure, Rpm's You get the idea.
Agree

Jaggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2018 GT in Kona Blue
I like the digital dash but I hope Ford extends it with more faces. Just as you can pick from loads of watch faces on an Apple iWatch there's no reason Ford can't give us a big selection of gauges, including retro fonts and styles. Best of both worlds.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ the way it should be.

If you're going to offer customers a choice in instrument panel display, it can't be that hard to add a few more. Three isn't enough. User-definable would really be nice, but I don't see that ever happening.

Norm

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
The problem with allowing too much customization is that the situation could present itself where a user modified the digital display to the point where it becomes a safety hazard / distraction. It would be relatively easy to input video, remove gauges that NHTSA deems a requirement, etc. Heck - the Audi digital display showing a high-res satellite map has to be borderline distracting.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I suppose I should have specified "within legal/reasonable limits".

I wouldn't want any sort of navigation display in front of me like that, so that kind of customization just didn't occur to me. Wouldn't even want the radio frequency that's already there on some of the existing options, actually. On the radio itself is good enough.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Agreed, sort of. At some point it probably gets in everybody's way. I won't be playing any music tomorrow afternoon during my track sessions for exactly that reason.

Norm

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, sort of. At some point it probably gets in everybody's way. I won't be playing any music tomorrow afternoon during my track sessions for exactly that reason.

Norm
I have a recording of the Racing Sounds From Grand Prix that I used to play on the grid, just to get the juices flowing.

With Regard To digital dash v. analog, I was missing the after-market head-up GPS-generated speedometer read-out projected on my previous car's windscreen, when i switched to the '18 GT Premium. Happily, I stumbled across the Digital Speedometer that was hidden behind something in the Choose-Your-Miles-per-Hour or Kilometers- function. It's a little too low to be as functional as the add-on that I was used to, and a little not-bright-enough for a polarized-sunglasses-wearer, but welcome anyway.

I know the GPS-derived display was sort of sluggish; the new one seems to keep up pretty well, and I wonder where it gets its information. Front wheel? Rear wheel? Transmission? Road as mouse-pad? Just curious.

Do we know how accurate the new digital one is? It doesn't agree very closely with the analog hand-on-face meter.

One more electronics observation: the '18 Cruise Control is much, much better than the '14; quick response and set-speed displayed.

(Doing my part in the draw-down of the world supply of hyphens.)

Sponsored

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
One more electronics observation: the '18 Cruise Control is much, much better than the '14; quick response and set-speed displayed.
Regular (standard) cruise control, or adaptive cruise control? I ask because my limited experience with ACC, is that it has to also display the set-speed because current speed could be a lot less.

spogshd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Best feature on the digi display

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Regular (standard) cruise control, or adaptive cruise control? I ask because my limited experience with ACC, is that it has to also display the set-speed because current speed could be a lot less.
I'm not clear as to how one might know if it's Adaptive or Standard. The set-speed display remains, whether or not the Ground Speed has changed.

Judging by the array of features mentioned in the Owners Manual that are not present on my car, it's likely Standard.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
That has nothing on the analogs suddenly turning bright red. Heck it took me a minute to figure out what that video shows.

I believe there are three different ways to configure the shift indicators on the digital cluster, some more noticeable than the others.
Sponsored