Sponsored

2016 GT Premium with 9 speaker system - it just keeps on giving

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
Thanks for the advice.

Before I never really considered I'd end up with a tweeter in the lower door 6.5" two-way, another tweeter in the 3.5" two way in the midrange hole plus yet another tweeter in the A-pillar. That's a whole lot of tweeting!

Now to figure out what a good choice is for the 2 way component speakers for the woofer for the lower door and tweeter to replace the OEM one in the A-pillar.

Hopefully I can find a suitable 2 way component setup for under $200 that's compatible with the Infinity Reference 2 ways I just installed and will be moving to the rear deck.
There are Infinity separates too. When I did mine I did everything at once including a 5 channel amp. I used the amp feed to the 6.5s for my new speaker leads. I bought a set of wire adapters and jumped from the 6.5s to the crossovers then to the wiring for the now gone 3.5s. That allowed me to get to the tweeters with factory wiring. You cannot do this with the factory amp though. I abandoned the mid/tweet wiring at the factory amp plug.
Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Not that it matters now but those are not the factory lower door speakers that came in my 2019 GT Premium with the 9 speaker system. Those junkers are what came on the rear deck panel. The factory lower door speakers are strictly a woofer so I don't know if putting a 2 way speaker in there will add much. The factory speakers are actually a descent quality speaker, I've changed the 3 -3.5" speakers in my car to Kenwood KFC-X3C speakers and the rear deck speakers to Rockford Fosgate P1650 speakers. It sounds nice and clear but still lacks bass.

I tried the Forscan mod and I didn't hear any difference at all so I changed it back to the factory settings after a few weeks. I've read a few other posts here that the poster had the same result I did where most people claim they notice a big difference. There has to be other differences between cars or they should have all had the same result.

Edit to add: I've had every speaker in my car out except for the tweeters on the A pillar, they are all 4 ohm. I've seen others post their cars came with a mix of 4 & 8 ohm.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Not that it matters now but those are not the factory lower door speakers that came in my 2019 GT Premium with the 9 speaker system. Those junkers are what came on the rear deck panel. The factory lower door speakers are strictly a woofer so I don't know if putting a 2 way speaker in there will add much.
The front and rear 6.5”s are the same in the 9 speaker system. The 12 speaker B&O have coax rear speakers but the same front speaker as all the other trims.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
The front and rear 6.5”s are the same in the 9 speaker system. The 12 speaker B&O have coax rear speakers but the same front speaker as all the other trims.
Not in my car. It may vary by year but my front lower door speakers have a roughly 3" magnet on the back were the rear deck speakers were maybe 1". Big difference in the quality between the two.

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
Here's the lovely pair of OEM speakers I removed from the lower doors. Both are thoroughly trashed. One has significant rust on it so it either spent some time much too close to the Atlantic Ocean on Miami beach before coming to Wisconsin or there's an issue with the weather sealing on the door. The part number on the speakers is GR3T-18808-KA, which does show they are from a 2016 GT. Pitiful speakers!

1a.jpg
2a.jpg
3a.jpg

Sponsored

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Ford should be ashamed of the quality of those speakers. Weird thing is from the back they look just like the speakers I have but from the front they look like a completely different cone material. I searched that part number from a Canadian online Ford dealer and it doesn't come up at all. I can't see them having different speakers based on country, the whole thing is weird.

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford should be ashamed of the quality of those speakers. Weird thing is from the back they look just like the speakers I have but from the front they look like a completely different cone material. I searched that part number from a Canadian online Ford dealer and it doesn't come up at all. I can't see them having different speakers based on country, the whole thing is weird.
Pretty much everything about this car has been weird, to be kind. :)

I moved to the USA from Ontario (Ottawa) about 25 years ago. My wife, dog and I packed everything that would fit into my 1995 Mustang GT and hit the road on a new adventure.

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
Here's the lovely pair of OEM speakers I removed from the lower doors. Both are thoroughly trashed. One has significant rust on it so it either spent some time much too close to the Atlantic Ocean on Miami beach before coming to Wisconsin or there's an issue with the weather sealing on the door. The part number on the speakers is GR3T-18808-KA, which does show they are from a 2016 GT. Pitiful speakers!

1a.jpg
2a.jpg
3a.jpg

That looks like it has been under water

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That looks like it has been under water
That thought crossed my mind too but nahhh, there is no way that "Mint" Auto Sales of Orlando, Florida would sell a car that had undisclosed issues like that. These "mint" condition speakers are all just part of the "Mint" Auto Sales buying and ownership experience.

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As part of the stereo speaker musical chairs taking place in Oliver right now, I ordered a pair of 2 way component Focal RSE-165 speakers (currently $100 at Crutchfield) and will put the woofer in the lower door and the tweeter in the A-pillar. I also ordered a pair of Kicker KSC270 midrange speakers for the upper door location. I will be moving the Infinity Reference REF607FSL coax speakers currently installed in the lower door location to the rear deck.

I'm not expecting any miracles from this speaker swap when used with the OEM head unit amp, but at least it a) gets rid of all the damaged OEM speakers and b) will hopefully work okay when it comes time to add a DSP/amp to the equation. I'm no audiophile, rather just looking for decent sounding tunes.

Looks like cold weather and snow are returning to NE Wisconsin for the next few weeks or so. I will be delaying any work on the stereo stuff until it warms up. I have learned lessons in the past about trying to remove plastic interior panels in cold weather. It sucks when they snap when you're trying to pull them out.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like the midrange speakers I ordered last week but were backordered are going to arrive a few weeks sooner than I thought. Nice! This will give me 2 way coax speakers on the rear deck, woofers in the lower door, midrange in the upper door and tweeters in the A-pillar (which I think run off the midrange). I figure on just disconnecting the front center speaker.

That adds up to three speakers per side to directly power (and the tweeter indirectly via the midrange) and mean either one six channel amp or maybe a 2 channel amp for the rear deck speakers and a 4 channel amp for the woofers, midrange and tweeters. Is there a different way I should be looking at my future DSP/amp plans? I just want to do my best now with the speaker replacements to make installing an amp down the road a better experience.

The Kicker 46CXA360.4T 4 channel amp I used in my F150 supercrew worked out really well for driving the Alpine speakers in each door plus the tweeters in the A-pillars.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Looks like the midrange speakers I ordered last week but were backordered are going to arrive a few weeks sooner than I thought. Nice! This will give me 2 way coax speakers on the rear deck, woofers in the lower door, midrange in the upper door and tweeters in the A-pillar (which I think run off the midrange). I figure on just disconnecting the front center speaker.

That adds up to three speakers per side to directly power (and the tweeter indirectly via the midrange) and mean either one six channel amp or maybe a 2 channel amp for the rear deck speakers and a 4 channel amp for the woofers, midrange and tweeters. Is there a different way I should be looking at my future DSP/amp plans? I just want to do my best now with the speaker replacements to make installing an amp down the road a better experience.

The Kicker 46CXA360.4T 4 channel amp I used in my F150 supercrew worked out really well for driving the Alpine speakers in each door plus the tweeters in the A-pillars.
The problem with running your tweeters and mids in parallel (like OEM) is the ohm load. Assuming the aftermarket’s are 4 ohm you can leave the wiring stock but you’ll need to figure out how to band pass to the tweeters so you’re not feeding them frequencies that will damage them. Not to mention you’ll be driving them at 2 ohms which will overpower your woofers unless they are on a separate amp or you can control the gain on just those channels.

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The problem with running your tweeters and mids in parallel (like OEM) is the ohm load. Assuming the aftermarket’s are 4 ohm you can leave the wiring stock but you’ll need to figure out how to band pass to the tweeters so you’re not feeding them frequencies that will damage them. Not to mention you’ll be driving them at 2 ohms which will overpower your woofers unless they are on a separate amp or you can control the gain on just those channels.
You know, I really do like the rumble of the Mustang's exhaust. I should just hum to myself when I want music.

The new tweeters that come as part of the 2 way component set come with crossovers that I thought would filter out the lower frequencies the tweeters don't like but maybe not.

My basic understanding was/is that if I replace like-for-like speakers and retain the OEM amp I should not have an issue with crossovers/frequencies since the oem amp is handling that stuff. And that the real fun starts when you replace the amp where you do have to ensure you are using the right crossovers in the right spots.

Bah, I am just going to finish replacing these garbage/ broken OEM speakers and see how they work with the stock amp. At least they should no longer rattle and buzz.

The non-Sony stock stereo in my daughter's 2016 Fusion SE sounds so much better than the 9 speaker stereo in my 2016 Mustang GT premium. Odd that she still keeps asking me if she can take the Mustang to go see her friends, bad stereo and all.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
With all the wind, road and engine noise, I never u der stood the point of trying for more than 128kbit mp3 resolution which the human ear can't process anyway. Isn't the music just there to occupy/distract the brain so it doesn't go way off script or comatose?

I've sampled the 6, 9 and 12 options and find the highs are so strong they give me a headache. The 6 has an embarrassingly weak bass, I'll cop to that. I turn off speed volume and almost never exceed volume 12.

Ru guys really slathering the cabin with sound mat?
Sponsored