Sponsored

2016 Camaro Interior vs S550 Interior

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Went by the local Chevy dealership to check out one of the new Camaros. It was an SS with the auto transmission, loaded out (I believe) at 46K on the window sticker.

As far as the outside goes, I think it's a good looking car. No complaints with that.

On the interior, the design and layout is very, very nice. I like the gauges and dash layout, along with the center console appearance, and love the seats and the doors. Beautiful lines on the doors and I really liked the leather pads on them.

What I didn't like was all the hard plastic. The S550 has hard plastic on the doors and center console, so I can't really beef about that, although I think it's far more evident on the Camaro doors simply due to the shape and sculpted lines of the door panels. The hard plastic on the dash was a truly unpleasant surprise though. I was expecting soft touch materials on the top of the dash, but it's acres of hard plastic. Also, the seams between the front and top of the dash were very evident.

tldr; At first glance, the new Camaro interior looks great. Once you begin to notice all the hard plastic though, that positive 1st impression begins to degrade a bit.

As always, this is my opinion. YMMV.
Sponsored

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Went by the local Chevy dealership to check out one of the new Camaros. It was an SS with the auto transmission, loaded out (I believe) at 46K on the window sticker.

As far as the outside goes, I think it's a good looking car. No complaints with that.

On the interior, the design and layout is very, very nice. I like the gauges and dash layout, along with the center console appearance, and love the seats and the doors. Beautiful lines on the doors and I really liked the leather pads on them.

What I didn't like was all the hard plastic. The S550 has hard plastic on the doors and center console, so I can't really beef about that, although I think it's far more evident on the Camaro doors simply due to the shape and sculpted lines of the door panels. The hard plastic on the dash was a truly unpleasant surprise though. I was expecting soft touch materials on the top of the dash, but it's acres of hard plastic. Also, the seams between the front and top of the dash were very evident.

tldr; At first glance, the new Camaro interior looks great. Once you begin to notice all the hard plastic though, that positive 1st impression begins to degrade a bit.

As always, this is my opinion. YMMV.
I doubt you'll find too many people telling you they like the Camaro interior over the Mustang interior on here. However, I'm one of those people that does.

Don't get my wrong the Mustang interior is stellar and I love it, however I think it's the MASSIVE improvement of the interior on the 6th gen Camaro vs the 5th gen Camaro that makes me like it better. I owned two 2012 Camaros and the only complaint I can think of about them was how crappy their interior felt. Plus my SS had a really annoying whistle coming from the windshield. Although I think that was the replacement non-GM windshield that is at fault for that after a rock shattered my first windshield.

Both cars will always have that hard plastic in places it isn't really desirable (the 5th gen Camaro had soooo much of it :/ ) It's a budget rocket ship. Gotta expect some of that unfortunately. :shrug: :)

I drive a 2014 Versa S as a DD... You want to talk about crap plastic interiors... I can tell you that the versa is 100% that. haha.

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
For the most part I like the new Camaro interior except that cheap & poor fitting plastic dash pod that sticks up way too high. The Mustang's seats feel more supportive but I can't see that leather lasting very long.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Used to own a 2011 Loaded 2SS/RS. Interior was incredibly bad! The 2016 Camaro is better than that. But Not better than the premium Mustang interior. Mustang interior is much nicer. Everything about being inside the Mustang (where you spend al your time in a car) was nicer. Seats are more comfortable. Sight lines are amazing compared to the Camaro. Interior has better layout and materials. Camaro is a sweet car and I still like the exterior styling. But everything is to much 5th gen and not enough 6th gen for me to ever consider one.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Something to consider when it comes to the "Interior is so awesome" trend that happens...

When the 2005 Mustang GT came out in the fall of 2004..everyone was hailing the interior as being so wonderful, so awesome...now people talk as if it was malignance incarnate. The interior jump from the SN95 to the S197 was a huge leap, and people were amazed by it because of their last known comparison point..

When the 2010 Camaro came out people were saying how awesome it was, how comfortable, how up-scale it was..and now people bash and hate it regularly. People were raving about it because of how wonderful it was compared to the 4th Gen and the S197..

In time, and in probably a much shorter time than people think, the trend will turn against both the S550 and 6th Gen Camaro interior. They'll be bashed, called cheap, etc..it's not a question of if it happens, but when.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
In time, and in probably a much shorter time than people think, the trend will turn against both the S550 and 6th Gen Camaro interior. They'll be bashed, called cheap, etc..it's not a question of if it happens, but when.
Yeah, interiors - particularly in domestics - have made huge gains over the last decade or so, we're really seeing some major improvements in materials, design, comfort and features. We're also getting some science in the way of ergonomics, human interface design and end-to-end driver experience, the interior is finally getting serious focus - it's the part of the car you engage with +most+ of the time.

Looks at the Corvette from the C5 to C6 to the current C7. I even recall the reviews, and you're right on, the C5 was a big update, the addition of a HUD, the curved, soft surfaces, and by middle of the model cycle, it was considered crap, the "Mattel" interior. The C6 comes out, wow, it's a major update, it's got a design that's as good as cars costing 2-3X as much (especially with the higher end interior options) - and now with the C7, you'd like the C6 interior was from the 70s :D

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Something to consider when it comes to the "Interior is so awesome" trend that happens...

When the 2005 Mustang GT came out in the fall of 2004..everyone was hailing the interior as being so wonderful, so awesome...now people talk as if it was malignance incarnate. The interior jump from the SN95 to the S197 was a huge leap, and people were amazed by it because of their last known comparison point..

When the 2010 Camaro came out people were saying how awesome it was, how comfortable, how up-scale it was..and now people bash and hate it regularly. People were raving about it because of how wonderful it was compared to the 4th Gen and the S197..

LOL we'll get to that in ten years.

Shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
I didn't buy my mustang because of the interior. IMO it sucks, but if I wanted a nice interior, I would've bought a bmw or lexus.

You are going to ruffle some feathers ...There is or at least was a fairly sizable contingent on the forum that swore up and down the Mustang is on par with BMWs interior and that there were droves of M3 buyers were considering mustangs....

I love the Mustang but I still havent found a buyer that switched from BMW to Mustang....I have seen multiple Mustang owners move to BMW, however.

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yea eventually all of these interiors will look outdated. As it stands right now, I think my Dodge Challenger scat pack easily had the best interior of the 3. The only remotely hard plastics were found at the bottom of the door panel, that's it. No hard plastic whatsoever on or near the dash or door tops. The gauge cluster and uconnect infotainment display were awesome too. Still like my mustang interior more than the new camaro after sitting in it.

2016 Mustang GT
Deep Impact Blue
Mods: MBRP street catback exhaust, sparco pro corsa wheels, JLT oil separator

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yea eventually all of these interiors will look outdated. As it stands right now, I think my Dodge Challenger scat pack easily had the best interior of the 3. The only remotely hard plastics were found at the bottom of the door panel, that's it. No hard plastic whatsoever on or near the dash or door tops. The gauge cluster and uconnect infotainment display were awesome too. Still like my mustang interior more than the new camaro after sitting in it.

2016 Mustang GT
Deep Impact Blue
Mods: MBRP street catback exhaust, sparco pro corsa wheels, JLT oil separator
The Dodge does seem to have best material but the layout is on the cheap side.
I guess you can't have both.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I've owned 3 BMWs, 3 Mercedes, 2 Audis, 1 Porsche, etc...2 Mustangs.
BMW's are nice to touch for about 5 years then you have all the rubberized coating turing into goo.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Thing thing about the Camaro is everything seems to be an after thought. For example the center vents with the dials around them. Other things like no exposed USB port for fast connection. The ugly steering wheel. The dash shape just looks plain same as the exterior.

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT