Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
2015 Mustang addressed its issues over prior ones:
Much improved interior (although the old Mustangs interior was better than its rivals, esp in 2010+).
Vastly (words dont describe) improved brakes
Improved refinement and better daily drivability (sound deadening, lower NVH, better sync and touch screen, small things like sun glass holder, larger trunk etc)
Better handling (less dive, squat, axle hop, more progressive handling)
Hugely improved steering feel, steering wheel and steering ratio
Hugely improved stock seats

It kept the good things:
Amazing 5.0 that has power all across the tach range. Willingness to rev and respond to mods.
Good visibility
Nimble packaging and drives like a smaller car than the size suggests
Exhaust note did take a step back IMHO and wt increased (slightly/negligibly)

Can the Camaro fix its issues?

The Camaro sucks as a DD as its too big and drives big (forget instrumented testing, it is NOT a nimble car like the Mustang - it uses massive grip and a stiff suspension to put down good times), disgusting interior with bad ergonomics, has terrible visibility, tiny trunk (and trunk opening) a lazy engine (both the LS3 and V6) and a super stiff suspension in the 1LE. The brakes in the SS and 1LE were always good, and the 1LE handles well although its too rough riding (it doesn't have the ride/handling balance that BMW was famous for and I think the Mustang has nailed).

I'm curious to see where GM takes this new version. More power wont solve the core issues that cannot be addressed in the aftermarket for the current Camaro. The issues above are deal-breakers for me, but clearly not for a lot of folks as the Camaro did sell well.

I will say this though, few firms can touch GM's stock suspension tuning for track times. They have some of the best racing development chassis engineers out there. For us Stang owners to compete (for those interested) its aftermarket/FRPP - not ideal but easily do-able. However, I also note most serious track/auto-x'ers mod their cars/suspensions regardless as factory systems are not competitive.

Last edited:

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
My prediction is that Ford is going to bump up the power for the 2016 Mustang.
Unless the new Camaro totally outclasses the Mustang (hard to believe) I'd really be surprised to see this. At most I'm expecting some color changes, nothing more. The S197 stayed basically the same for 5 years. Why would the S550 change after 1?

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Ford did bump the hp of the coyote every 2 years, so 2017, the mustang should be 450 as the camaro will be 450 if not more. The torque of the lt1 is no joke and just tunes and headers could put it close to 500 hp and 500+ torque maybe more.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
It is interesting to see though that all the 2015 buyers are betting on Ford not increasing power while the hold-outs are hoping for a boost :-) Human nature!!!!

I doubt Ford will boost power significantly if at all in 2016 - power is not going to break the sales of the Mustang compared to the Camaro (at least with the masses) and the Camaro will not even be available in 2016 - so doing this would be strange. I suspect Ford's next steps will be:
Slight tweaking of 5.0 output/re-rating it (like they did with the Coyote from 415ish to 425HP) in 2017. I am not sure of this. For most existing owners this is not significant.
In 2017, creating an SVO with the 2.7TT at 460-480HP (its making 450 in the 2016 Raptor I think) but more torque. Market it above the GT.
In 2018+ putting a detuned version of this in the Mustang GT - the SVO will seal the premium association with the 2.7TT engine. Kill the 5.0. This will be a faster car than the existing GT in a significant way. Sounds crazy, but few would have imagined the V8 being killed from the F150 lineup a few years ago, and also, a lot of enthusiasts (no less) on this forum are trumpeting the torque of the turbo 2.3L Ecoboost with mods, I can only imagine they will embrace the 2.7TT V6 with open arms.

I on the other hand will hang on to this lovely gem of a motor.

Thats not the only change I'm sure Ford will make (others include perhaps the glass roof, flat bottomed steering wheel, suspension tweaks within the same mounting points,turning headlights and of course Sync 3 and 10 speed auto) but its the key one relevant here

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Guessing no HP bump till 2017 and Ford made a big mistake ignoring the 1le. I m sorry to say this but, camaro already has better weight distribution and if it looses weight for next gen combining with creature comforts then Ford is going to be in trouble. I love my car but the weight gain caught me of guard. We had that advantage all along and now Chevy might turn things around with a lighter car, higher hp and torque numbers!

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I am hoping the weight savings is a failure even on the new platform due to safety regulations. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ponyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP Ecoboost, 2013 Volvo XC60r-Design
I think Ford will add more aluminum panels to increase towing capacity then add a rear step bumper option...and a gun rack of course..

ilkhan

435 ilkhan approved HP.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[Gone 2016 400A] > 2017 F150

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If the Camaro ends up putting out better numbers, it's not going to dull my ownership or buying choice one bit.

I've had this car for a good amount of time, and one of the LAST things I've thought of is "shit, I could use about 35 more horses." The main areas that Ford can improve the S550 are:

1) everything infotainment related

2) polishing up the suspension rates

3) fine tune the steering resistance presets and speed up the rack's ratio

4) better transmissions

5) better sound system options

6) improve QC - panel fitment, interior squeaks/rattles, etc.

Sponsored

DeepImpactBlue2015EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium & '13 Kia Optima
Unless the new Camaro totally outclasses the Mustang (hard to believe) I'd really be surprised to see this. At most I'm expecting some color changes, nothing more. The S197 stayed basically the same for 5 years. Why would the S550 change after 1?
no Camaro from 2005-2009

DeepImpactBlue2015EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium & '13 Kia Optima
reason why Ii'm doing a 24-36 month lease when I get my EB, to see whats in store for the "refresh"

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Ford has already said that the Camaro is not their competition. They may not respond but reiterate that they are going after the BMW/Audi crowd.
Well if they're going after that crowd they'd have to step up the build quality....and from some of the threads here (as well as my own experience) I do not think that is the case.

I agree with those who say despite what Ford wants people to think, Camaro is definitely its competition.

SuperC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mercury cougar
I can definitely see Ford making a styling adjustment to the grille. I've craned my neck around a few times already hoping to get a look at the '15 only to realize it was a Fusion. That's just wrong.

The horsepower thing is kinda funny. Everybody's going gaga over the Hellcat but when it comes down to brass tacks, most people buy underpowered V6 Challengers. So they're getting a pretty tub that can get smoked by a family sedan...all because they want the car that looks a Hellcat.
Sponsored