Sponsored

2015 Mustang Horsepower / Torque Figures and Weight Released!

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
Ya all knew I would be throwing my two cents in a some point, so here is a dollars worth.
Cars have been getting faster and faster for a while now, our roads have been getting worse (yes, there are some nice stretches here and there to open our cars up), but you have to swerve around 800 pot holes to get there.

I've yet to take a car over 130 on an open road, if you do, you don't know how to match horsepower with horse sense (my Father was Stock Car Driver in the 60's and imparted that on me at an early age) I have tracked GT500's up to 180 (yep, I got tiny balls, but really enjoy my life) I know there are a few out there who like to go 180+ on long 4 lane stretches, have fun, include me as a beneficiary on your insurance policy. I've said goodbye to two friends who were good drivers and destroyed cars at no fault of their own except going over 150 where a deer and a tree limb falling ended their fun times. I gladly pay the track fees to get my thrills.

Now, to the power and torque, large numbers really don't mean anything except bragging how much extra you are paying in gas. My DD 02 GT with a mild tune, barely scampers in comparison to a 14GT, but guess what, I still pass many 14 GTs every day because my lane just happens to be going faster. Yup, traffic sucks. They are going the same speed and getting more MPG than me. Late night call backs to work on a wide open interstate, I let the ponies run. If you don't have a Passport Max RADAR detector or something equivalent, you might want one before increasing your #s. OK, so you have read this long blog, here is a tid bit from a friend. This motor runs comfortably above 450 with just a tune, and a few more minor upgrades and you'll see 500+ on the next SVT. No 750 monster yet, but it is in the shop, maybe a crate motor next year. OK, don't yank this out and post it separate, make everyone else read my shit too. To sum it up in a quick analogy Just because you have Jennifer Lawrence in your bed, don't mean you'll have the best sex ever. Yeah, it would probably be great, but there is a lot more to the relationship than having the hottest.

What makes a car work for people is the relationship. A C7 is sexy, but not my type. A Ferrari is gorgeous, but whines too much and is hard on the wallet. A Camaro is the hotty you want to f^%K, but won't take home to Mom. To me the Mustang is a perfect example of my type, when I turn her on she reciprocates, I can afford her 7 days a week, my Mom loves her, she sings like an angel (with a husky voice...lol) her numbers are balanced, not too big, not to small. When I want to play like a kid, she lets me, and now when I'm all dressed up for a formal function, she isn't out of place. That is why I love the new Mustang GT and have one being buit.

If you want to take your Mustang and giver her a face lift, and boost her from a healthy D to a triple D, have at it, whatever you like, Ford made her so she can be molded into your soul mate if you don't like the stock version. It is what they have always done. Just please quit whining about the fact she isn't perfect for you. Until production cars show up, it's still a blind date, but I'm all in,
Haha, in bold is a true statement. And btw if that is the case, Please tell your FRIEND, to make a Track Key available AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!! Please and thank you :hail::headbang::thumbsup::D

Yes definitely not the same class of cars but the numbers around the track will be similar. At this time we know the STI pretty much matched the 235i around willow springs. The 2012 boss LS beat the 2015 STI and 2015 235i's time around willow springs. We know to expect and improvement so we expect the Mustang will add some distance in the 2014 Mustang time. The reality is, is that not much time separate the 2015 STI/235 and the 2012 Boss LS edition Mustang.

24. Ford Mustang Boss 302 LS 1:26.10 '12 443 / 1652
27. BMW M235i 1:26.37 '14 326 / 1455 Randy Pobst
25. Subaru WRX STI 1:26.12 '14 309 / 1545 Randy Pobst

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow_springs_-_streets_of_willow.html

Depending on the track the 235i is going to be VERY close depending on how the final numbers come out. Keep in mind Mustang said the 2015 would beat the Boss but havent mentioned beating the Boss LS model, right? So its going to be tight. Note this isnt the M2 version just the 235....So yea the 2015 GT and the M2 are going to be very interesting.
I'm confident, by boss they meant all production versions. I am really hoping they produce some seriously awesome lap times. The bigger rear tires will probably help a good bit. I do really enjoy watching Randy's reviews of cars though.
Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Isn't Willow a difficult track due to its bumpy surface? Most videos I see show the driver sawing at the wheel for control. I think that would show a nice difference between the S550 chassis and S197 and easier to get to than the 'Ring.
absolutely! A different track would net different results and some tracks are better than other for certain types of cars. This is just an example that under certain circumstances/track conditions the 235 isnt out of the league of the Mustang and the M2 definitely wont be. With a tune the 235 is a force to be reckoned with...The odds of us putting an M2 "down" is fairly unlikely unless it comes down to a driver...

jaja6009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No s550 yet :(
Wow im late to this party!

I am disappointed in the numbers, but I guess I'll live.
Overall the car is an B for me.
The looks, and small powerbump keeping it from an A.
The other stuff with it though keep the grade high.
Between the suspension, tech options, brakes, and auto tranny, I am very happy with the car.
Some of the way you order things is also a letdown.
The tires are to skinnny if you dont get a PP.
I dont like options being lumped together instead of ala carte (Other manufacturers do the same)
The lack of a PP with auto hurts too.

But I am happy enough with the whole thing that "only 435 hp" is not a big deal.
And at this point I am still on track to get one this winter or next spring.

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Not sure if this question has been asked and answered yet and I don't feel like reading all 30 pages of posts to see.

The number for the V8 (435 HP) is specified as being with 93 octane.
What would be the loss by going with 89 or 91 octane???

There might be some place that has 93 but the normal gas stops around here only have 91 & 89 & 87 octane.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Not sure if this question has been asked and answered yet and I don't feel like reading all 30 pages of posts to see.

There might be some place that has 93 but the normal gas stops around here only have 91 & 89 & 87 octane.
I dont know percentages but both of the cars I have had that have been rated at 93 and I've feed 89 after a hurricane have performed horribly. They were regular N/A engines and I wont be doing that again unless its a situation in which I cant get 93. I dont know if it will be different with the Mustang, however.

Sponsored

souprmage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP 50th Appearance

Same here, 91/89/87.

As for power, it depends on the target. I doubt they built the stock tune expecting a 93 octane, more likely 89 or possibly 91.

So, if the tune is expecting 91, the change from 93 to 91 will make no difference at all, and you may even see a very slight increase since lower octane fuel has more power capacity.

What we won't know until we see it is what the tune is set to run optimally at. It's very unlikely to be optimal at 87, but how much it suffers we'll have to wait and see.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
IIRC, with the S197 Coyote the difference between 87 and 91 is around 8-10HP. So, if the tune is optimized for 93, it might be around 4-5HP difference between 93 and 91.

GMAN6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
Bottom line is car will not be any faster straight line. Power to wt ratio is only slightly better @ 8.52lbs per vs 8.61 lbs per. My early guess is magazine testing 0-60 and 1/4 mile may even show decline. Due to loss of solid axle. If this is the best they can do expect sales to suffer vs Chevy still. And that doesn't sit well with me.
I think it will be faster. At these power levels, an IRS can perform just as well as a straight axles. Looking at the line lock videos, it doesn't look like there will be much problem with wheel hop so it should perform just as good. The real draw back is that it will be more costly to modify as you mod the motor and increase power.

So with the IRS not being a factor in stock form, consider the other plusses: Better weight distribution means more weight on the back wheels. IRS means more weight on the back wheels. Better power to weight ratio.

I really don't see how it couldn't perform better. All I can say is that if it doesn't perform better then Ford has done a poor job of engineering.

It will be interesting to see...lol..

Things are not always as they seem. You've hear the saying "HP sells cars, torque wins races". The GT has been smoking the SS in performance for years, yet the SS outsells it. The SS has a few more HP. But look at torque, The 13 SS had the most torque followed by the GT and last was the Boss with the least torque but yet Boss was fastest followed by GT and SS last with the most torque.

Just goes to show that going fast isn't about any one aspect, it's about engineering a multitude of parts and different dynamics to work together.
A 707 hp engine doesn't impress me. Any manufacturer can build a 707 hp engine. I'm impressed by how fast a car can go in relation to it's power to weight ratio and/or cost.

Sponsored

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Two things to note:

1.) There is almost no difference in weight between the manual and automatics.

2.) It only takes up about 5hp/5tq to cover the weight difference (less for the automatic). So you're looking at about a 10h/5tq boost. Not bad, but I do think we can call that disappointing unless the powerband shows a better improvement than that.

I agree with some of the other posters. Ford, don't worry about the Boss 302. You need to top the 1LE, especially if its the PP. The healthier the margin the better because the Alpha is coming out and I can't imagine their going to stay the same or go backwards.

The S550 is certainly a good car, but will it be a better car than its competition? Tune in next year to fine out!

azsnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Raptor
The LT1 is a torque monster...If we arent supposed to be disappointed in the HP numbers because of the potential curve and TQ in the Mustang then lets be open and honest about the elephant in the room. The Camaro will almost assuredly have more HP and more TQ. We have to hope GM completely goobers it up with weight. They look like they are already going down this road by using the CTS long base alpha chassis...Lets hope they continue the path to screw it up. I said it before and I will say it again, if they used the alpha ATS short chassis we would be in for a world of hurt and the odds that this generation GOAT went to the Camaro would almost be a given.
Agree 100%
I think Ford will be able to match or beat the LT1 hp no prob when the new Camaro is released (if Ford chooses to do so), but TQ should be the real concern here. Unless they do something special I see the mustang winning the weight and hp battle. I expect the LT1 to own the tq category. Let's just hope it isn't a massive difference when all is said and done.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Isn't Willow a difficult track due to its bumpy surface? Most videos I see show the driver sawing at the wheel for control. I think that would show a nice difference between the S550 chassis and S197 and easier to get to than the 'Ring.
Yes its a tight, slow, bumpy track with no real straights and most corners are tight hairpins in the 35-55mph range which is great for light cars with short gear ratios. Not a very good track and more on the lines of an overgrown AutoX track. I don't put that track's times in very high regard. Heck, even Buttonwillow isn't great or a 'proper' track IMO.

Good questions Pobst drove the GT around the track and I think he managed to shave twenty or so seconds. He might get a full second improvement on the Boss. Keep in mind those are best track times so they are no slouches. Willow Springs has pro drivers and pro am drivers on it all the time. There are loads of Boss's, Vettes, etc on there. Randy will improve the time but it isnt going to be by vast sums. Another words the track times arent slouches listed...They are the best of the best of that car type.
Fastlaps.com is out of date with a lot of random times that anyone can input. Most southen californians done even bother with the site so I wouldn't hold the times in very high regard. I know their fastest time listed for an S2000 is not the fastest that has been turned there.

Scooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Infiniti G37
Ya all knew I would be throwing my two cents in a some point, so here is a dollars worth.
Cars have been getting faster and faster for a while now, our roads have been getting worse (yes, there are some nice stretches here and there to open our cars up), but you have to swerve around 800 pot holes to get there.

I've yet to take a car over 130 on an open road, if you do, you don't know how to match horsepower with horse sense (my Father was Stock Car Driver in the 60's and imparted that on me at an early age) I have tracked GT500's up to 180 (yep, I got tiny balls, but really enjoy my life) I know there are a few out there who like to go 180+ on long 4 lane stretches, have fun, include me as a beneficiary on your insurance policy. I've said goodbye to two friends who were good drivers and destroyed cars at no fault of their own except going over 150 where a deer and a tree limb falling ended their fun times. I gladly pay the track fees to get my thrills.

Now, to the power and torque, large numbers really don't mean anything except bragging how much extra you are paying in gas. My DD 02 GT with a mild tune, barely scampers in comparison to a 14GT, but guess what, I still pass many 14 GTs every day because my lane just happens to be going faster. Yup, traffic sucks. They are going the same speed and getting more MPG than me. Late night call backs to work on a wide open interstate, I let the ponies run. If you don't have a Passport Max RADAR detector or something equivalent, you might want one before increasing your #s. OK, so you have read this long blog, here is a tid bit from a friend. This motor runs comfortably above 450 with just a tune, and a few more minor upgrades and you'll see 500+ on the next SVT. No 750 monster yet, but it is in the shop, maybe a crate motor next year. OK, don't yank this out and post it separate, make everyone else read my shit too. To sum it up in a quick analogy Just because you have Jennifer Lawrence in your bed, don't mean you'll have the best sex ever. Yeah, it would probably be great, but there is a lot more to the relationship than having the hottest.

What makes a car work for people is the relationship. A C7 is sexy, but not my type. A Ferrari is gorgeous, but whines too much and is hard on the wallet. A Camaro is the hotty you want to f^%K, but won't take home to Mom. To me the Mustang is a perfect example of my type, when I turn her on she reciprocates, I can afford her 7 days a week, my Mom loves her, she sings like an angel (with a husky voice...lol) her numbers are balanced, not too big, not to small. When I want to play like a kid, she lets me, and now when I'm all dressed up for a formal function, she isn't out of place. That is why I love the new Mustang GT and have one being buit.

If you want to take your Mustang and giver her a face lift, and boost her from a healthy D to a triple D, have at it, whatever you like, Ford made her so she can be molded into your soul mate if you don't like the stock version. It is what they have always done. Just please quit whining about the fact she isn't perfect for you. Until production cars show up, it's still a blind date, but I'm all in,

Well said Mustangchief!!!!!!

Daddy Rolling Stone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang convertible
Just please quit whining about the fact she isn't perfect for you. Until production cars show up, it's still a blind date, but I'm all in,
This, this and this.

I'm amazed by how many who don't drive Mustangs now and probably weren't serious about buying a 2015 in the first place are whining because it isn't a C7 Corvette or a BMW M3 or a Nissan GT-R or whatever. :crazy: :headbonk:

Puhleeze.

Having spent time behind the wheel of Challengers, Camaros, a Boss 302 and a couple of Shelby GT500s, if the 2015 Mustang is anything close to the Boss, it's going to put a huge smile on the faces of anyone who drives one.

Especially me. :thumbsup: :headbang:
Sponsored