Sponsored

2015 5.0 Whipple Supercharger on Ford Racing Facebook

alexx205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT
(Oops, didn't look in this section, if it was already posted...)

You'r probably right, just "aftermarket" development by Ford Racing.
Sponsored

lil=john

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford ranger
Well somebody help me find the charge motion control valve actuators.
Never mind they work with the factory intake.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I remember a day when it wasn't so damn difficult to strap an engine to a dyno.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
It appears as though Whipple has been supplanted as supplier for the S550 5.0L Coyote supercharger. Judging from the above picture, the 2015 5.0L supercharger's case looks identical to Roush and VMP's respective Eaton R2300 TVS units, so I'm assuming FRPP followed suit.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
It appears as though Whipple has been supplanted as supplier for the S550 5.0L Coyote supercharger. Judging from the above picture, the 2015 5.0L supercharger's case looks identical to Roush and VMP's respective Eaton R2300 TVS units, so I'm assuming FRPP followed suit.
If I'm not mistaken, Whipple and TVS share case dimensions also with only difference being gears and rotors. But you could be right.

Or it could be a photo from roush (since then and frpp are very close, roush builds the current frpp kits minus the head unit).

Who knows.

Sponsored

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well somebody help me find the charge motion control valve actuators.
Never mind they work with the factory intake.
Bingo lol. PD blowers don't need anything to help with torque.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
If I'm not mistaken, Whipple and TVS share case dimensions also with only difference being gears and rotors. But you could be right.

Or it could be a photo from roush (since then and frpp are very close, roush builds the current frpp kits minus the head unit).

Who knows.
In that both the Whipple and Roush superchargers displace 2.3L per revolution of their rotors, the physical size of their respective cases is probaby similar if not identical. The design of each case, though, is where you'll spot differences.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In that both the Whipple and Roush superchargers displace 2.3L per revolution of their rotors, the physical size of their respective cases is probaby similar if not identical. The design of each case, though, is where you'll spot differences.
Exactly what I'm saying. Can't tell what rotors are in the case, I think. Been a long time since I read about all the very specific details though. I do know that they share intakes and inlet piping and equipment.

If you have a roush kit, you can unbolt your roush TVS head, and bolt in a Whipple frpp head. And vice versa.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I hope it's a Whipple and not a TVS... those little TVS's are too quiet.

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope it's a Whipple and not a TVS... those little TVS's are too quiet.
Put an open air box and a pulley and they not so quiet any longer hehe

Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
I may be in the minority, but I don't want a noisy blower. Drove with a Vortech S-Trim for many years and honestly the whine eventually got really annoying. Some subtle whine to go along with the swift kick in the pants when I press the go pedal is plenty enough to put a grin on my face and keep me happy. Maybe I'm just getting old... ;)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I may be in the minority, but I don't want a noisy blower. Drove with a Vortech S-Trim for many years and honestly the whine eventually got really annoying. Some subtle whine to go along with the swift kick in the pants when I press the go pedal is plenty enough to put a grin on my face and keep me happy. Maybe I'm just getting old... ;)

I'm 27 and too find the PD blower whine annoying.

Vernichtung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Exactly what I'm saying. Can't tell what rotors are in the case, I think. Been a long time since I read about all the very specific details though. I do know that they share intakes and inlet piping and equipment.
Thanks for the information; I was unaware that, other than the supercharger head unit, both the Roush and FRPP kits are identical. Looking at each kit again in pictures, though, I can definitely see what you're saying.

In regards to the design of the case, I was referring to the as-cast "fins" or "ribs" -- that's where there are external differences, visible to the eye. You are 100% correct in that we have no idea whose rotors are inside the test FRPP kit shown in the picture above. However, because a twin-screw supercharger's compression occurs within its case, I'm not sure if a TVS equivalent component is capable of handling that kind of pressure.

You seem very knowledgeable in regards to PD superchargers, so you probably already know about the aforementioned spotting differences among the various kits.

Whipple twin-screw:

Roush / VMP / Harrop TVS (I'm sure there are more that use this particular case):

For reference, here is the picture that FRPP released of its upcoming S550 Mustang supercharger kit:

If you have a roush kit, you can unbolt your roush TVS head, and bolt in a Whipple frpp head. And vice versa.
That's good to know. Thanks! :headbang:

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're correct. Visually they are different currently. The cases have to withstand the pressure as the base of each will see boost pressure. The upper case would be OK to be less able to. Withstand pressure on TVS (like you say, compression happens due to rotors moving more than motor takes instead of decreasing volume of chamber in head unit). I don't know why anyone would engineer it that way but I guess it's possible.

I only have a rudimentary knowledge of the engineering behind blowers/turbos. My brother is the rotating equipment /turbine expert and he talks way way over my head Haha.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Eh, everyone is different. I for one was disappointed at how quiet all the s/c systems were for the 5.0's. I don't see that changing for the 2015's, so its something I'll have to live with.

On the bright side, having no s/c whine does confuse people. You're throwing down 550-600 or more rwhp and it sounds like all motor. They'll never know what hit them!
Sponsored