Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Brookshire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto, Guard Green
When you guys received your PP2 did it come with an installation manual?
It includes with a 15-page instruction on hardware installation. But there is no instruction on Pro Cal 3 which you need to download online.
Sponsored

Brookshire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I received my PP2 a few days ago and installed it myself today. The installation is quite straightforward. The engine light came on after the calibration. It was quickly resolved by turning on "Profile Learning" mode and rev the engine to 4000 rpm a few times.
Immediately after the installation, I took a 20-mile canyon drive to test the car. The increase in power is definitely felt. The throttle response is much better. The transmission shift is much smoother (mine is a 6R80e auto), especially in Sport+ mode. The fuel economy seems improved (it may take a few hundreds of miles to quantify the real impact on MPG). Overall it is worthy upgrade for me.

However, there are two issues at the moment after the calibration install. (a) A noticeably loud pop when the engine is turned off. This happens every time when the engine is turned off. It appears that the popping sound comes from the throttle body area. It sounds like opening a bottle of Champaign. A strong impulse of air is gushing out of throttle body. If you place your hand over the air filter, you can feel the pulse. I am not sure what the long-term effect would be on the intake system. (b) The transmission shifts to higher gear too quickly. You hear engine pining when that happens. Not sure how to describe this, it is like to start driving a car in the 2nd gear. Hopefully the transmission can re-learn to calibrate the shifting points.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
It includes with a 15-page instruction on hardware installation. But there is no instruction on Pro Cal 3 which you need to download online.
Hmm, Mine only had a sheet of paper stating box contents and a link to frpp.

LawsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP
When you guys received your PP2 did it come with an installation manual?
mine including the instructions for install and i downloaded the procal software using the including yellow instruction sheet with the voucher number. There is a folder that installs with the procal software that contains directions for how to use the procal software, just found it on accident trying to see if my stock tune was saved in one of the folders.

B0SS603

@dib_5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacques
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
(a) A noticeably loud pop when the engine is turned off. This happens every time when the engine is turned off. It appears that the popping sound comes from the throttle body area. It sounds like opening a bottle of Champaign. A strong impulse of air is gushing out of throttle body. If you place your hand over the air filter, you can feel the pulse.
This is "normal". Everyone with PP2, both on manual and auto cars, have described this when they shut off the engine.

Sponsored

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
mine including the instructions for install and i downloaded the procal software using the including yellow instruction sheet with the voucher number. There is a folder that installs with the procal software that contains directions for how to use the procal software, just found it on accident trying to see if my stock tune was saved in one of the folders.
Mine is going i to the dealer on Wednesday and already printed out all the instructions. Should I download the tune onto the procal before I drop it off

B0SS603

@dib_5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacques
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is going i to the dealer on Wednesday and already printed out all the instructions. Should I download the tune onto the procal before I drop it off
The tune doesn't download to the procal. It downloads to your PC. The procal is simply the connection used to communicate between PC and ECM. I'm not sure how the other dealer install guys did it but I assume you could download it and provide the tune file to the dealership.

Brookshire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you know where the stock tune is saved?

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
The tune doesn't download to the procal. It downloads to your PC. The procal is simply the connection used to communicate between PC and ECM. I'm not sure how the other dealer install guys did it but I assume you could download it and provide the tune file to the dealership.
If the stock and pp2 tune are both downloaded to the dealers laptop I will bring a flash drive for them to copy data to and then I can use it down the road if I want to modify it or put it back to stock.

Traffic22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 Raptor, 2011 Ford CV Lemons Race Car
I was curious about this too. My car goes to the dealer Thur for the install, I was wondering if it would be better to download in advance to a jump drive, and give that to the dealer, or just give a jump drive to the dealer to copy everything to?

I plan on calling the shop to see what they prefer, but would be curious to know what the others with a dealer install have done?

Sponsored

Brookshire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the stock and pp2 tune are both downloaded to the dealers laptop I will bring a flash drive for them to copy data to and then I can use it down the road if I want to modify it or put it back to stock.
Sure, I understood that the calibration tune does not download to Pro Cal 3. I was wondering which folder did the Pro Cal 3 Tool save the stock tune. I know it saved the new PP2 calibration to my document/calibration on the laptop. Where is the stock tune saved on the laptop?

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
Sure, I understood that the calibration tune does not download to Pro Cal 3. I was wondering which folder did the Pro Cal 3 Tool save the stock tune. I know it saved the new PP2 calibration to my document/calibration on the laptop. Where is the stock tune saved on the laptop?
Search your local drive for files with the same extension as the pp2 tune, if that doesnt work search files for the date you upgraded.

LawsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Premium PP
I know to reflash to stock u have tone reselect the same file u used to install the pp2 tune so I'm not sure how that works. I tried looking for my stock tune and I could only find that one file afterwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Unfortunately had to cancel my order. Wallet opened a bit too quickly this holiday season. Hopefully I can re-order from Levittown in a few months, and maybe by then any kinks that have been discussed in this thread have been worked out by Ford.

Loic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Sylver
Got an email from Levittown this morning saying the PP2 was on its way:
they must have receive another delivery :thumbsup:

(my initial order was on December 10th)
Sponsored