Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
I put the perf pack 2 on my '17 a few months after I got it new in 2017. I liked the power boost a lot, but after a while I started noticing some noise at low speed & low RPM that I figured was engine knock (based on all the discussion here). I hadn't really heard engine knock before so I'm not really sure what that sounds like. On my car it really sounded like bare knuckles knocking on a wooden door, several times a second.
I tried low octane mode, adding octane boosters, and adding a bit of E85, and didn't notice any consistent difference. But it wasn't a big deal so I didn't worry about it too much.
Now my GT is 4 years old and has 50,000 miles. I decided to revert the perf pack and see what happened. To my surprise, the "knock" is still there.
So I'm wondering if it was ever knock at all. It happens soon after tip-in at low speeds - like at speed bumps and school zones. But now I notice the sound actually comes more from the back end (ie exhaust) than the front. So could it be an exhaust leak? Or is this normal behavior?
I've got the Ford extended warranty until 75K miles, so with the perf pack removed, I can take it to Ford and let them diagnose and fix it.
But I hate to waste a day at the shop just to have them tell me they don't hear it or it's normal.
OTOH, if Ford could fix the noise, then I could put the perf pack back on and not have the "knock" that would be awesome!
Any advice? Similar experiences?

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I put the perf pack 2 on my '17 a few months after I got it new in 2017. I liked the power boost a lot, but after a while I started noticing some noise at low speed & low RPM that I figured was engine knock (based on all the discussion here). I hadn't really heard engine knock before so I'm not really sure what that sounds like. On my car it really sounded like bare knuckles knocking on a wooden door, several times a second.
I tried low octane mode, adding octane boosters, and adding a bit of E85, and didn't notice any consistent difference. But it wasn't a big deal so I didn't worry about it too much.
Now my GT is 4 years old and has 50,000 miles. I decided to revert the perf pack and see what happened. To my surprise, the "knock" is still there.
So I'm wondering if it was ever knock at all. It happens soon after tip-in at low speeds - like at speed bumps and school zones. But now I notice the sound actually comes more from the back end (ie exhaust) than the front. So could it be an exhaust leak? Or is this normal behavior?
I've got the Ford extended warranty until 75K miles, so with the perf pack removed, I can take it to Ford and let them diagnose and fix it.
But I hate to waste a day at the shop just to have them tell me they don't hear it or it's normal.
OTOH, if Ford could fix the noise, then I could put the perf pack back on and not have the "knock" that would be awesome!
Any advice? Similar experiences?
Pinging sounds about like a can of spraypaint being rattled. With modern emissions controls the system tries to keep the A/F mixture right on the very edge of "too lean" to use the least amount of fuel possible. If you balance that with "performance cars should have quick response" when you tip-into the go pedal, there will be a brief moment where the expanding gasses from combustion are pushing hard against pistons that are moving too slow.

That little bit of pinging isn't going to hurt anything. It's just the pistons rattling in the bores a bit. Short piston skirts (to reduce reciprocating mass & rev quickly) increases the ability of the piston to tilt in the bore clearance. You don't want a constant ping though. If you ever want to hear this intentionally --so you know what it sounds like-- try a hard pull from about 50, uphill, in 6th. It'll sound like Banksy is painting your tunnel. That's ping.

Knock... however, is bad. Usually points to a spun rod bearing or the piston slapping the head.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the power pack 2 just before Thanksgiving and I am very pleased with the results. It is better than the aftermarket tune I had. One thing, I bought an angled fitting for the top vacuum connection to give me more clearance to the engine cover. Not my idea, found it on M6G. Still had to notch it out to get clearance but at least I can run the cover. To me it seems like there is less binding on that array of tubes with it being angled down a bit.

D2E5392E-8202-4704-9BC3-B6A59EE8318E.jpeg

842B5DC5-25FC-46D8-80EB-BC67074B10F6.jpeg

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After you guys talked about ping I have been looking at the A/F gage on my dash while driving and haven't noticed anything unusual. My A/F is usually in the high 13s to stoch like it was when stock. Where I live, premium fuel is 93 octane so I'm sure that helps a lot. Of course, I don't know if knock sensors are pulling things back, they do that even at the inaudible level.

When I applied the Ford Performance tune, I changed nothing in the settings. The only thing I had to do post-tune is a crankshaft relearn (which I had to do with another tune I had as well)

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
After you guys talked about ping I have been looking at the A/F gage on my dash while driving and haven't noticed anything unusual. My A/F is usually in the high 13s to stoch like it was when stock. Where I live, premium fuel is 93 octane so I'm sure that helps a lot. Of course, I don't know if knock sensors are pulling things back, they do that even at the inaudible level.

When I applied the Ford Performance tune, I changed nothing in the settings. The only thing I had to do post-tune is a crankshaft relearn (which I had to do with another tune I had as well)
Is your afr needle stable or swinging left/right a little?

I've notices mine is swinging 13.5-14.5 at freeway speed, gas pedal stable.

And I had pinging with pp2.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is your afr needle stable or swinging left/right a little?

I've notices mine is swinging 13.5-14.5 at freeway speed, gas pedal stable.

And I had pinging with pp2.
I know mine has never stayed in one place, even when stock. I imagine the engine is constantly making minor compensations for changing loads. A slight incline, a slight lift of the gas pedal you may not notice, etc.
Sponsored