Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
People with an auto who have made the upgrade to PP2, how does your new normal drive mode compare to stock "sport" setting? Does it blip the throttle on downshifts? I think I'd ideally want something a little less aggressive than sport is currently for everyday driving.
Drive drives like drive and sport drives like sport. It’s a true oem feeling upgrade. The shifts are bit crisper and smoother but the delivery is the same except with bit more power. It’s good. So no blips in drive except when u paddle shift down.
Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
Has anyone with PP2 or PP3 driven a manual 2018/2019 GT or Bullitt? How does the power compare by butt dyno? I’m guessing PP2 feels as torquey but not as good on the top end, and PP3 is as good at the top end but not as torquey. Just by butt-dyno and not the 10 speed.

SiRCaSTK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm still doing research on PP2 to make sure I'm comfortable with having an exposed air filter below the vent and found this:

Guess I'm not too worried about it with the drycharger prefilter now. It's all about commiting to the price at this point haha.

PS. I drove in the rain, and did notice that water did go through the vent, and it looks like the water was dripping right where the filter would be.
0309191635.jpg

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
I'm still doing research on PP2 to make sure I'm comfortable with having an exposed air filter below the vent and found this:

Guess I'm not too worried about it with the drycharger prefilter now. It's all about commiting to the price at this point haha.

PS. I drove in the rain, and did notice that water did go through the vent, and it looks like the water was dripping right where the filter would be.
0309191635.jpg
I have driven my pp2 in heavy rain and I haven't noticed it get wet myself but I'd wager that Ford did their own testing. It may be practical to buy a reusable dry cotton filter licensed by Ford Performance (the blue airraid one) or similar ones like from amsoil if you're that worried.

mchale2020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
A few
Been reading some of the past comments on this thread and just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I've had my PP2 kit for about ten thousand miles on my 2016 GT.

The most time consuming part of the install is removing the sound tube. After that, it's all downhill. I get the flutter sound when I shut the car off. I also get light, initial pinging at half-throttle loads at lower RPMs, but no worse than what my old 5.0 2017 F-150 used to do stock before I traded it in. I'm pretty sure it's harmless at light-loads and it clears up immediately. If you install yourself, handle the intake tube carefully. I had one of the fittings break off in my hand and had to order a new one. I drained my battery on accident and it didn't affect my tune at all. My car doesn't get driven in the rain, but I just see a few drops of water in the airbox when I go to wash it. No check engine lights or other abnormal stuff. I'm still running the FRPP passenger side catch can. The canister is a tight fit against the throttle body, but I'm not really worried about it.

As far as the power delivery goes, the car has especially better bottom to mid-range. There's also a lot more intake noise. Haven't really noticed any jerkiness to the fueling.

Sponsored

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning

0309191635.jpg
in some previous years, heat extractors were worse and filters got wet, i.e. 2013-14 GT'S. probably led to more boxed in designs. actually, factory ford cold air box with hi-flow filter works just about as well as many CAI kits. only diff I notice is the use of the ribbed connector (some after market's also use a rib design Shelby included)) and the baffle box design of the Ford tube which does affect the straight line of the air flow. dynos show small differences...
as for the water, never thought oil, water and dirt as a good mix? (k&n filter) dman

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
I installed PP2 on my 2017 last night and as I got to the step with the splicing the Evap hose was quite perplexed. Fortunately several posts on this thread note the 2017's are different - but didn't quite clarify how they routed the (not-to-be spliced Evap hose). I called FRPP and they gave me an idea, reminding it's "just a hose" and noting you cannot just cut-out the plastic connector tying the Evap hose to another (behind the stuck on foam wrap). I simply bent the Evap hose, tie it to itself using a zip tie (okay, I used two because I'm that way), then slip it on... easy... no cutting, works great!

So to try and pass on the help, and give back, here is how I routed my (non-spliced for a 2017) Evap hose. It doesn't result in a kink, no lights on the dash, and is not putting tension on the plastic connector on the induction pipe (something I was worried about). Note, at least in my case it does make it so that the intake cover won't fit back down flushly, but at least for me, I plan to leave it off anyway... IMO it looks cool that way, resembling it's big brother (GT350) who's intake I've just pilfered :)

Welcome any thoughts an comments...
2017_GT_FRPP2_EvapHose.png

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
I installed PP2 on my 2017 last night and as I got to the step with the splicing the Evap hose was quite perplexed. Fortunately several posts on this thread note the 2017's are different - but didn't quite clarify how they routed the (not-to-be spliced Evap hose). I called FRPP and they gave me an idea, reminding it's "just a hose" and noting you cannot just cut-out the plastic connector tying the Evap hose to another (behind the stuck on foam wrap). I simply bent the Evap hose, tie it to itself using a zip tie (okay, I used two because I'm that way), then slip it on... easy... no cutting, works great!

So to try and pass on the help, and give back, here is how I routed my (non-spliced for a 2017) Evap hose. It doesn't result in a kink, no lights on the dash, and is not putting tension on the plastic connector on the induction pipe (something I was worried about). Note, at least in my case it does make it so that the intake cover won't fit back down flushly, but at least for me, I plan to leave it off anyway... IMO it looks cool that way, resembling it's big brother (GT350) who's intake I've just pilfered :)

Welcome any thoughts an comments...
2017_GT_FRPP2_EvapHose.png
very Fordish...cost effective, not year specific, one size fits all? "well, just do this to it. oughta work" great, not my first dance. dman

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
very Fordish...cost effective, not year specific, one size fits all? "well, just do this to it. oughta work" great, not my first dance. dman
It was somewhat disappointing that I had to find out via the forum, but I'm glad I read it before I took to cutting the Evap hose. They should update their documentation showing the difference....

Other than that it went in perfectly (followed LMR's video), it looks good (IMO) and the flash went off without any difficulty. I haven't had a chance to drive it (was doing this late at night), but look forward to it. Dman, I wouldn't let this deter you if you are considering the install, I moreso posted the picture so folks like me might have some frame of reference.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
It was somewhat disappointing that I had to find out via the forum, but I'm glad I read it before I took to cutting the Evap hose. They should update their documentation showing the difference....

Other than that it went in perfectly (followed LMR's video), it looks good (IMO) and the flash went off without any difficulty. I haven't had a chance to drive it (was doing this late at night), but look forward to it. Dman, I wouldn't let this deter you if you are considering the install, I moreso posted the picture so folks like me might have some frame of reference.
thanks. if I buy, it would be PP1. already have Airaid package. not looking for HP, more interested in the torque curve for my street car. do you have auto?

Sponsored

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks. if I buy, it would be PP1. already have Airaid package. not looking for HP, more interested in the torque curve for my street car. do you have auto?
I have a manual transmission and while I wasn't expecting supercharger like results the bump is great and it was a fun project. As another note, when tuning the car, it will seem as though it has been possessed, lights flashing, warnings going off on your dash, chimes chiming... it's all normal :)

Reactions: A7X

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I have a manual transmission and while I wasn't expecting supercharger like results the bump is great and it was a fun project. As another note, when tuning the car, it will seem as though it has been possessed, lights flashing, warnings going off on your dash, chimes chiming... it's all normal :)
My primary motication with pp2 is increased red line. It feels like the engine could go higher rpms even on stock tune. I hit rev limiter a time or two.

Even on stock tune I can break (stock) rear tires on 1st and second, so I do not feel like I need more low end.

Personally, I'd preffer pp3 out of three for this reason, but imo, it is not reasonably priced.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
My primary motication with pp2 is increased red line. It feels like the engine could go higher rpms even on stock tune. I hit rev limiter a time or two.

Even on stock tune I can break (stock) rear tires on 1st and second, so I do not feel like I need more low end.

Personally, I'd preffer pp3 out of three for this reason, but imo, it is not reasonably priced.
You will be happy with the pp2 tune, it was the best bang for the buck I had so far in my build! I also liked the pp3 but couldn't justify it. Currently I'm debating going FI but my car is so perfectly balanced I'd hate to sacrifice DD or track performance for minus 1 sec or so at the strip.

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
Here are my dyno results after installing the power pack 2 on my 2015 LE. I think it looks good and I had zero issues with water getting on the filter . Gains weren't as big as I hoped they would be but the car pulled well and did good at the track. This was a stingy dyno too. We went as a club and it hurt a lot of guys feelings that day. Lol
Screenshot_20190319-095014~3.png
IMAG1359.jpg

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Actual numbers on a specific dyno don't mean much, but comparing a modification before and after on the same dyno is great info!

you picked up 20 ft.lbs & 14 hp across the range, that is very good for this mod!

Thanks for the dyno.

Do you track results as well you'd care to share? Before & after?
Sponsored