Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
That's the overview page. Where are the specifics of the No Lift? Sorry, I am missing it.
I found it on utube but don't recall if it was specific to the frpp, same as powershifting without the clutch but has a rev limiter
Sponsored

oldboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I found it on utube but don't recall if it was specific to the frpp, same as powershifting without the clutch but has a rev limiter
from Ford Performance page regardin power pack 2
Fits 2015-2017 Mustang GT
Features exclusive no-lift shift strategy and enhanced throttle response
Ford Performance calibrations feature exclusive Ford proprietary software and engineering
Ford Performance calibrations are 50 state legal with CARB EO (D-598-19)
Calibrations available for manual and automatic transmission
Allows gear ratio changes up to 4.09:1
Automatic calibrations feature optimized performance shift schedule
Premium fuel, 91 octane or higher, is required

Only thing not mentioned is new redline of 7200

slag1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Are all PP2 installations different? Mine only hangs between shifts when in gear with the clutch to the floor. It never hangs in neutral. After it warms up, it goes to idle (700 RPM) between shifts. I haven't tried the no-lift technique.

For me, the bigger annoyance is that the throttle plate slams shut when I take my foot off the gas. I'm learning a workaround technique for that. The speed shop says it is desired on the track, and I get that, but on the street it's annoying.
Here is my experience:
No no rev-hang in neutral.
When cold significant rev-hang at and above 3k RPM. (only with PP2).
When warm rev-hang at the RPM range expected for next gear. (stock and with PP2).
Throttle plate slams only when turning off engine. (only with PP2).

IMO, with the slamming throttle body and the cold engine rev-hang, this tune was poorly executed. I have not seen a lot of issues on this forum from folks with aftermarket tunes, so obviously these cars can be tuned and return good results.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
Keep in mind the PP calibrations are 50 state-legal. If I had the option to have the speed shop tune it for optimum performance, they would jump on it, and some of the issues would disappear. I asked them to take a look at the tables and see if they can help with the rev-hang issue. They were pretty optimistic that they could minimize or eliminate it. If I still own the car in a few years, I'll need to have it emissions tested. At that time I can have them re-flash the ECU with the original PP calibration.

Owners who live in states without emissions enforcement can have tuners dyno their cars and install whatever calibration they want.

tedj101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby 350GT Steeda springs, sways, camber plates, toe links etc: 14 BMW 328d
My car did this stock. The rev-hang that is introduced by the PP2 tune is very noticeable. When the car is cold any shift above 3k RPM will cause the RPM to stick (or even raise a few hundred) for about a second to a second and a half. As soon as the car hits operating temperature, this rev-hang is gone, and your back to the "stock" rev-hang which you describe.

I don't like either... I guess I just don't want a computer working my throttle vs. my right foot.
The rev "hang" that you are noticing is a side effect of emissions compliance. Since Ford has to be emission compliant on a car for the road, they can't realistically avoid it.

<TED>

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
IMO, with the slamming throttle body and the cold engine rev-hang, this tune was poorly executed.
The throttle body has to slam shut when inoperable to meet CARB compliance. Vapors will leak out if it doesn't.

FWIW, My other vehicles did it stock.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
So am I correct in assuming that the rev hang is only happening on PP1 and PP2?

PP3 has zero rev hang?

mbeale68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, base, perf pack, recaros, 5spd, guard
Having driven with PP3 for a few weeks now, I can say that PP3 has rev hang when cold.

That said, I think everyone is making a big deal about a very minor issue. If you either keep the revs down for the first few minutes or pause as you shift at higher revs (one Mississippi) then its easy enough to drive smoothly. You should be taking it easy while the car warms up anyway. Having owned carbureted cars and bikes this is trivial compared with the way some vehicles drive when cold.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
I never go above 2500 when it's cold anyways. I didn't know this was just when it's cold, who cares?

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
The cold rev-hang likely has to do with getting the catalytic converters to operating temperature quickly.

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
But this is America where everyone is like Veruca Salt.....

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
I installed the PP2 this afternoon. Everything went smoothly with the install and the tune. I can hear the throttle plate on shutdown and I do have the rev hang but it's only above 3k and it really isn't that bad. The car definitely has more power and rev's higher. Not sure how high though as I did get close to 7500 rpm. I dyno'd the car before this and it put down 383/353 on a mustang dyno. I am going to dyno the car again to see what the results are.

So far I am pleased with this package. That 4k+ pull to redline is pretty badass.

Jim Bronson

Red One
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Coupe Six Speed
If indeed the rev-hang and and slamming shut of the throttle valve is for EPA compliance - and I don't doubt that it is - then I'll just have the tuner tweak the calibration to reduce it.

The rev-hang is bothersome to me because I only have about a quarter mile from my driveway to a stop sign. I'm in second gear, and if I just take my foot off the gas, to allow the car to engine brake, it doesn't slow down. I have to disengage the clutch and coast to a stop with the revs still at 3K. Once I get on the main road and go up through the gears, it becomes a non-problem.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
If indeed the rev-hang and and slamming shut of the throttle valve is for EPA compliance - and I don't doubt that it is - then I'll just have the tuner tweak the calibration to reduce it.

The rev-hang is bothersome to me because I only have about a quarter mile from my driveway to a stop sign. I'm in second gear, and if I just take my foot off the gas, to allow the car to engine brake, it doesn't slow down. I have to disengage the clutch and coast to a stop with the revs still at 3K. Once I get on the main road and go up through the gears, it becomes a non-problem.
the rev hang is only a matter of a few seconds for me, it doesn't matter if I shift at 2400 or 3000 the rev hang is the same duration and only when cold.

mike15gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Got mine installed today. Did it myself and the install was pretty straight forward. Stubby snap on flexhead fine tooth 3/8 ratchet with a 10mm deep socket worked perfectly!

Driving:
I didn't really notice any rev hang issues. Leaving my house in residential it would hold rpm slightly when it was under 3000rpm but nothing I would get upset about.
Initial thoughts are that the throttle response is exactly what I wanted. Midrange power is very prominent. Definite bump in power there. Deeper sound coming from the engine bay and deeper note from the exhaust (Only have an H-pipe res delete).

Overall i'm 100% pleased with the kit. It was exactly what I was hoping for. It was all packaged well and nice to have OEM look and quality.
Thanks Ford Performance and Levittown Ford for the great product!
Sponsored