2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Revising my previous statement.... The 2015 V6 throttle body opening is 76mm in diameter. The 79.5mm measurement is for the 2011-2014 upper intake manifold. Still quite large considering the stock TB and shouldn't effect the GT TB much at all.
Yep, not visible to the human eye and probably not much different than connections between couplers and probably still not as bad as the factory crinkle tubing which makes a "half moon" inside of the intake tubing. Totally negligible.
Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Orientation does not matter, the throttle body can be mounted upside down. Mine is mounted upside down (as seen in the pictures/ write-up) to make sure it clears the t-stat housing. Imho it looks better mounted that way and the electronics side aren't sandwiched between the radiator hose and coolant reservoir (though I doubt that would have any effects). The fins are only there as a "muffler" for NVH purposes, you can tell a difference in tone without them. The engine sounds slightly deeper. BMR has posted good results from fin removal in the 5.0 section. Also, not sure about the 2015+ 5.0 unit but the 2011-2014 opens the opposite way of the 3.7 throttle body so mounting it upside down actually makes it open the same direction as the 3.7 throttle body. The direction it opens makes no difference in performance and you could mount it upside down or right side up (depending if you are using a spacer or not). You are correct about the spacer allowing you to keep the fins, the spacer will provide the butterfly enough clearance for those who do not prefer to remove the fins.

This sort of leads to a question I was going to post. I found several GT throttle bodies that were missing the electronic control module on the side and was wondering if my v6 module would fit. But if the GT ones open the other way then I'll forget that Idea.

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Great work guys, really an excellent thread for helping other V6 owners out there. I was considering a BBK throttle body but this also seems like a good option. The only thing is I don't want to cut the "fins" inside the intake really if I don't have to. Would the use of an adapter plate negate the need to cut them?

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Great work guys, really an excellent thread for helping other V6 owners out there. I was considering a BBK throttle body but this also seems like a good option. The only thing is I don't want to cut the "fins" inside the intake really if I don't have to. Would the use of an adapter plate negate the need to cut them?
Correct, as stated a few posts above.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Final Draft. Provisions for OEM TB seal and overall thinner then the first draft to reduce material and thereby cost.

My TB should arrive Wednesday! I can then verify the bolt dimensions for the GT TB and then get a prototype ordered!
TB_Adapter.jpg

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
Final Draft. Provisions for OEM TB seal and overall thinner then the first draft to reduce material and thereby cost.

My TB should arrive Wednesday! I can then verify the bolt dimensions for the GT TB and then get a prototype ordered!
Awesome work as always! Let's hope there will be a room for the TB!!

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This sort of leads to a question I was going to post. I found several GT throttle bodies that were missing the electronic control module on the side and was wondering if my v6 module would fit. But if the GT ones open the other way then I'll forget that Idea.
The direction the butterfly opens has no effect on performance/driveability. :thumbsup: Most likely Ford used different suppliers.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
I understand that, it doesn't matter up, down, 45 degrees or slightly twisted like Zacks spacer, it's just an air valve. I just doubt the validity of my assumption that my control module and a throttle body that operates the reverse of what mine does would work together.

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand that, it doesn't matter up, down, 45 degrees or slightly twisted like Zacks spacer, it's just an air valve. I just doubt the validity of my assumption that my control module and a throttle body that operates the reverse of what mine does would work together.
Are you talking about an aftermarket pedal module or the stock ECU? I'm no expert on this but I believe the parameters only sense "open/closed" and not if the butterfly in a different direction(though I could be wrong). If you're talking about the stock ECM, the electronics all line up and it does not care if which direction it opens. Been DD'ing the car with no hiccups. My mistake if I misinterpreted your post, just not sure what you meant.

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I think what he is asking is if V6 control module would fit on a GT TB. If so, he's contemplating if the V6 control module would operate the GTs butterfly valve properly. Since the GT valve opens opposite from how the V6 module would operate, he's doubting that the GT TB would work correctly with the V6 control module on it.

I could be wrong, but that's what I understood from his statements.

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think what he is asking is if V6 control module would fit on a GT TB. If so, he's contemplating if the V6 control module would operate the GTs butterfly valve properly. Since the GT valve opens opposite from how the V6 module would operate, he's doubting that the GT TB would work correctly with the V6 control module on it.

Ah ok! :frusty: :D Got it. Thanks for the clarification, he is looking at GT throttle bodies without the control module duh lol. In that case agreed, I doubt the modules are swappable. Also keep in mind I know the 2011-2014 units open a different direction but the 2015+ I don't know which direction opens. Either way it is probably just best to find the original control module or just wait until you stumble across a complete throttle body. What years are you looking at D BERRY? I do have the "test" throttle body that I messed up the holes on still with a good control module.

S550bluegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt perf pkg m6
This is a REALLY good idea! Great way to do a cost effective throttle body upgrade. Wonder how much of a demand there would be for this? Should do a poll and find out interest.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I just ordered at 14 GT TB off ebay so I'll throw my hat into the ring to give this a try as well. It will be interesting to see how seamless it works with my Procharger but I plan on a retune anyway.

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6

Bingo solder, guess I just wasn't expressing it clearly enough. Sorry! It's just that I saw a v8 throttle body for sale really cheap that didn't have the control module on it.
Sponsored