2011-2014 Mustang GT 80mm TB How-to

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Bingo solder, guess I just wasn't expressing it clearly enough. Sorry! It's just that I saw a v8 throttle body for sale really cheap that didn't have the control module on it.
Not sure what years you are looking at but I do have my 2011-2014 "test" unit that I messed up the holes on but still has a module in pristine condition.
Sponsored

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Ah ok! :frusty: :D Got it. Thanks for the clarification, he is looking at GT throttle bodies without the control module duh lol. In that case agreed, I doubt the modules are swappable. Also keep in mind I know the 2011-2014 units open a different direction but the 2015+ I don't know which direction opens. Either way it is probably just best to find the original control module or just wait until you stumble across a complete throttle body. What years are you looking at D BERRY? I do have the "test" throttle body that I messed up the holes on still with a good control module.
I'm probably going the 14 and earlier, the one with more meat around the bolt holes, that way I can go with Zacks setup or try engineering something myself.

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
I'm probably going the 14 and earlier, the one with more meat around the bolt holes, that way I can go with Zacks setup or try engineering something myself.
Cool deal. Well feel free to PM me if you need a 2011-2014 control module. :thumbsup:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
TB arrived and prototype is ordered! Measurements were right on the money for the GT bolt hole locations! Nice Job!

On a side note, Damn this thing is big! I can see why it doesn't quite fit the V6 with the thermostat housing.

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
TB arrived and prototype is ordered! Measurements were right on the money for the GT bolt hole locations! Nice Job!

On a side note, Damn this thing is big! I can see why it doesn't quite fit the V6 with the thermostat housing.
So what's the best thing to do to make it fit? I don't really know if i can lower the engine in here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what's the best thing to do to make it fit? I don't really know if i can lower the engine in here.
It's all up to you and whichever fits your taste. One method is not necessarily "better" than the other. For those who want bolt and go with no modification go with Zach's method. For those who want less overhead and don't mind getting slight machine work done (just drilling 4 holes and possibly lowering engine) go with my method. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Remember, dropping the engine should allow for a GT strut tower brace, too. Might be an added perk for anyone wanting to go that route.

Last edited:

S550bluegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt perf pkg m6
Hey guys, I was thinking of possibly designing a spacer that will make the Gt 80mm butterfly clear the stock silencing fins as well as orientate the throttle body to clear the thermostat housing etc. If I made a spacer and hardware kit available to just buy and bolt on it would make this mod very easy and logical over the bbk setup.

S550bluegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt perf pkg m6
Another side note, in the spring I'll have my Gt stock throttle body up for grabs as I'm going with a gt350 manifold and Tb setup.

Sponsored

s550v6

Mike
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang V6
Very excited to see how the spacer prototype fits, I have a GT throttle body on the way!

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, I was thinking of possibly designing a spacer that will make the Gt 80mm butterfly clear the stock silencing fins as well as orientate the throttle body to clear the thermostat housing etc. If I made a spacer and hardware kit available to just buy and bolt on it would make this mod very easy and logical over the bbk setup.
Join right in. More options are always better. :thumbsup:

X0AYHAM0X

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 V6
Just thought of this...I have BBK shorties on the way so would an engine lowering kit (if needed) affect the install of the headers?

D BERRY

LostAtSea
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang v6
Hey whatdoyoufeedit have you or could you check what clearance you have between your T/B and your hood. If you knew that distance you could subtract a quarter inch to see what you'd have without having lowered your engine. Your solution does seem to be the simplest. You know if a guy had a 3.7 T/B spacer and a good drill press it looks like it would make the perfect template to drill by. Finally that thing might actually come in handy for something after all. Guess it's a good thing I never could even give it away!:clap2:

OP
OP
whatdoyoufeedit?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey whatdoyoufeedit have you or could you check what clearance you have between your T/B and your hood. If you knew that distance you could subtract a quarter inch to see what you'd have without having lowered your engine. Your solution does seem to be the simplest. You know if a guy had a 3.7 T/B spacer and a good drill press it looks like it would make the perfect template to drill by. Finally that thing might actually come in handy for something after all. Guess it's a good thing I never could even give it away!:clap2:
Not sure how would I go about measuring hood clearance. I can tell you that when closed it leaves a slight impression in the padding underneath the hood but it not enough to hurt the throttle body or touch the metal. Lowering the engine 1/2" vs 1/4" would probably get it perfect but all is well here with how I have it setup now. Hope this helps.
Sponsored