Sponsored

2.3L EcoBoost 2015 Mustang Engine Spotted

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I can only imagine... glad to hear it got replaced though!

I'm wondering if there will be any sort of "overboost" feature on the 2.3L, similar to the Focus/Fiesta ST
Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I'm digging the strut tower brace that connects to the firewall. I don't see them changing much from that engine bay so production will probably be 95% what we see there.

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
With the tight fit of the 4-banger in that engine bay, it's difficult to imagine how Ford managed to fit a V6 let alone a V8 engine into that space.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
With the tight fit of the 4-banger in that engine bay, it's difficult to imagine how Ford managed to fit a V6 let alone a V8 engine into that space.

This is getting kind of silly. These are two dimensional photos so you can't expect to get a tangible idea of the actual space available in the engine compartment. There is a lot of stuff like hoses and wiring conduit on top of that engine making it look like it is taking up huge amounts of space, the actual space available is essentially the same as the S197.

Sponsored

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Reminds me of this. (Yes I'm a Star Trek fan)

V8 cover looks like the Battlestar Galactica and the EB4 cover looks like the Galileo shuttlecraft from the original Star Trek series.
images.jpeg

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Reminds me of this. (Yes I'm a Star Trek fan)

V8 cover looks like the Battlestar Galactica and the EB4 cover looks like the Galileo shuttlecraft from the original Star Trek series.
Haha - awesome!

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
I'm crazy enough to be a pioneer...Ford can send me an EB and I'll gladly hoon it. :)

Sponsored

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You know the Eco Boost with all it's power and mileage is a really great idea. But something in the back of my mind keeps saying it's still a 4 cylinder and I have never seen a 4 cylinder survive in the long run. Not even the iron Duke (Cast iron block)from the Vega days. The new blocks and heads are aluminum and they do not tolerate heat very well and are known and subject to warping, cracking, and blowing head gaskets. Over the years my family members had (4), 4 cylinder engines that were well maintained but slowly came apart as the mileage rose.
This new engine may be the best thing to come along in a long while and on top of that it's going to be turbo charged. Good luck with that. Time will tell, but for me I'll walk away from the 4 banger.
You would be surprised, my friend had a Toyota Echo with a 4 banger that got nearly 500k miles out of it. The turbo on the 4 banger would go way before the engine, probably around 150k-200k.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
Just a little added info. Look! I am sure many people love the 4 cylinder. I am not trying to dissuade anyone. I was just voicing my opinion. I have been around the automotive repair business most of my life and I have seen more 4 cylinders come unglued than I care to remember. I also believe many people push them harder than what they were designed for and do not keep up with proper maintenance. Then they wind up overheating them or destroying the turbo which generally leads to the demise of the engine. I just don't like the 4 cylinder engine. Now on the other hand "You could have had a V8."

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
You know the Eco Boost with all it's power and mileage is a really great idea. But something in the back of my mind keeps saying it's still a 4 cylinder and I have never seen a 4 cylinder survive in the long run. Not even the iron Duke (Cast iron block)from the Vega days. The new blocks and heads are aluminum and they do not tolerate heat very well and are known and subject to warping, cracking, and blowing head gaskets. Over the years my family members had (4), 4 cylinder engines that were well maintained but slowly came apart as the mileage rose.
This new engine may be the best thing to come along in a long while and on top of that it's going to be turbo charged. Good luck with that. Time will tell, but for me I'll walk away from the 4 banger.
You are joking right? The 2.3L Lima motors in the Fox Bodies were damn near unkillable. The 2.3L Lima in the SVO and Turbo GT 4 bangers were pretty stout and well built 4 bangers too. Anytime you throw more and more boost at something there is going to be the potential to run into issues. This isn't an issue with V8, I4, I6, V6, V10, V12, W16, it's an issue of compressing air into a fixed volume that generates TONS of heat. With how open the front of these cars could be, I'm sure there will be plenty of options for killing heat on modified cars.

ForceRECON2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2005 Saab 9-5 2.3T
So if that is the engine cover then what's going on here?

https://vine.co/v/MKZpIDVh5LJ
Looks like the right side cowl vent plastic that would normally cover the battery and the strut brace has been removed and laid on top of the engine cover. If you look close at the Vine... you can see the engine parts of the engine cover that match the pics
Sponsored