Sponsored

'16 Camaro Reviews are starting to hit the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I'm not going to argue with you about awards. I know they've won some awards in the past. My point is that Audi's interiors, whether you like it or not, are outdated. Sure they throw some really nice material at it, but its just a bandaid. Now when you say people flame you about your comments on the camaro's interior, I would say the majority do not disagree with you on the quality of its materials. Simply the layout. It's very plain and is an ok evolution of the 5th gen's interior, which happens to look like an Audi.

I will say I really like their seats. I think they look great.
Now just imagine if all cars had the same style and looks.:shrug: just because you don't like it or think it's boring, doesn't mean it's true. That's why we have variety to cater to different taste.:thumbsup:
Sponsored

Khell86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang Gt
Now just imagine if all cars had the same style and looks.:shrug: just because you don't like it or think it's boring, doesn't mean it's true. That's why we have variety to cater to different taste.:thumbsup:
I agree it would be boring and yes we all do have different tastes, but just because someone's opinion is different does not mean that the other's opnion is incorrect. Just because someone thinks the Houston Texas are the best team in the NFL, does not make it true lol. :cheers:

Whether we like it or not, a majority's viewpoint is somewhat an indicator of an objects rating.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
+1. I'm starting to feel a little bit of buyer's remorse simply due to the power difference but I still much prefer the looks and interior of the S550. Having driven both, what would you choose?
Nice video, solid production.

I've seen a significant number of photos/video of the interior and exterior [of the new Camaro], I'm aware of the moderate performance difference in stock trim and I'd still take my Mustang over the Camaro, no question, zero remorse :)

I'm not even a "Ford guy", my '16 GT convertible is my first, I had 4 Corvettes before this, in addition to Japanese and German imports, some in an extreme state of modification. So I've owned a few Chevys, I've owned incredibly fast tuner cars, the Mustang really pushes all my buttons, I'm never cared all that much about a few tenths here or there, it's about overall impact for me that starts with the aesthetics/design.

When the Camaro convertible is released, if for some reason it totally reverses my current opinion (the performance is not enough to do so, and at least in the coupes I find the Mustang far better looking), I'll buy it, that simple, but I _suspect_ I'll still have my Mustang a year from now, still without any regrets :)

DaUnit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP Shadow Black
great performance on the new camaros but it's so damn fugly... i just can't.... :crazy:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Ive driven a new ss mt not that itll matter to anyone here. It still reminded me too much of gen 5. Nicer interior materials. I dont dislike the outside but it does need the spoiler swap. I personally find nothing is amazing or incredible in either car. In stock form either car is impressive. But i care more about potential and end result. Coyote>lt.
Are you talking about the interior reminding you of the 5th gen? Because I can see that a little bit. Other than, like you said, the nicer materials. But I thought it drove way different than a 5th gen. The power isn't even the best thing about the way the car drives in my opinion.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Are you talking about the interior reminding you of the 5th gen? Because I can see that a little bit. Other than, like you said, the nicer materials. But I thought it drove way different than a 5th gen. The power isn't even the best thing about the way the car drives in my opinion.
Well the interior is different but not drasticly over the gen 5. However i did like the interior materials much better in gen 6. The exterior is better then gen 5 but still reminded me of gen 5 with the overall lines. Of course its better in performance over gen 5. Ita definitely a step up for the camaro. The thing that ruins it for me is still the bunker feeling at all four sides of the car and last but not least the damn DI & AFM Imho the DI is the biggest killer by far, followed by afm. At least afm can be deleted. But ive been saying these things about the motor for awhile now. Personally im not a big block (i know its not a big block)or tons of low end torque kind of guy. Which is why i ignore PD blowers in favor of turbos or centri. Dont get me wrong i like something there but too much low end torque is not a good way to win street races or drag typically

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Well the interior is different but not drasticly over the gen 5. However i did like the interior materials much better in gen 6. The exterior is better then gen 5 but still reminded me of gen 5 with the overall lines. Of course its better in performance over gen 5. Ita definitely a step up for the camaro. The thing that ruins it for me is still the bunker feeling at all four sides of the car and last but not least the damn DI & AFM Imho the DI is the biggest killer by far, followed by afm. At least afm can be deleted. But ive been saying these things about the motor for awhile now. Personally im not a big block (i know its not a big block)or tons of low end torque kind of guy. Which is why i ignore PD blowers in favor of turbos or centri. Dont get me wrong i like something there but too much low end torque is not a good way to win street races or drag typically
I gotcha!!

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
nothing about the 16 camaro screams to me I should have waited till it came out to compare against the two still...even after these reviews.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thread tidied.

Show some respect to fellow forum members. 200MPHCOBRA.....any more bashing and you'll receive an infraction.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Already proven the Hennessey dyno runs high. The GT350 they tested put out 482hp at the wheels which is VERY high.

Transmission loss of only 8% on the GT350? Unlikely. The other REPUTABLE dynos/publications have shown it at 467-468hp. Right where 10-11% trans loss should be.

The other dyno run lined a few posts down fro yours showed 395 for the SS. That's a pretty LARGE difference between 395 and 431. Again, numerous reputable dynos/publications have shown 395-410ish at the wheels sounds right with drivetrain loss- 405hp is an 11% drivetrain loss. 431hp would be a 4.5% drivetrain loss from the 455 SAE rating- impossible.

Hennessey's word is anything but reputable these days, but the media is parroting the same bad info. I dont think it's coincidence it's Ford and Chevy tests were both way over what other dynos are showing. Even the folks over at the sister site we shall not speak of for Camaros are highly skeptical that this number is accurate.

Dynos are poor ways to compare different car models based on way too many factors to compensate for. They're good to tune a car for it's max power; what they're really for.

We're again talking a whole whopping 20hp between the SS and GT- pretty much a CAI without a tune difference. The SS also costs a bundle more so...
Bingo.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yah the Camaro front end is great....makes Mustang's look really weak (probably why we've seen a camo'd front end fascia on the Mustang).

So now that you've driven both, what would you buy still? What can they improve on the Mustang and what can they improve on the Camaro?

Thanks again..after watching you can really see this car puts a fricking HUGE smile/grin on your face...
Now that I've driven both it's tough. I still like the Mustang styling inside and out better but the Camaro is definitely the more fun one to drive for me. But being 5k-6k more than the GT makes it tough. Because of my preference for the Mustang styling and it's better visibility and price, if it was my money I'd take the cheaper GT Premium. I'd rather just have a small roadster for a weekend toy when I wanna tear up a back road. And when I find myself on one in the Mustang, it's good enough.

As for things that can be improved, none of the following are necessary but my realistic wish list for the 2017/2018 Mustang to close the gap in response to the Camaro would be:
Any kind of weight loss they can manage.
Another 20-30 hp and torque.
Apple CarPlay/Android Auto integration.
Dual mode exhaust option.
Auto rev-matching for the manual.
The new 10-speed automatic I keep hearing about for the automatic guys to better compete with the GM 8-speed.
Nicer infotainment screen on the base model (4-6 inches).

I think the Mustang will still continue to be the sales leader in the long run simply because it's so much cheaper but I certainly don't blame anyone for choosing the Camaro over it. Both are fantastic.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
You should hear one with the NPP...man oh man.

Yah the side windows are definitely high...I actually am his height and adjusted the seats when I went to see the SS so I could sit higher but I still couldn't hang my arm out at a horizontal...was angled up. Now I did notice even in my parents Kia Optima that I couldn't hang my arm out exactly horizontal either but it wasnt as bad as this.

They definitely took inspiration from the Audi S3 interior with the vents/passenger layout and even some of the middle buttons across horizontally.

http://theautoz.com/images/audi-s3-interior-9.jpg
While that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, that would be something I have to consider. I almost always prefer to have my windows down and my arm hanging out the side. That would be rough having to angle it up like that.

Now that I've driven both it's tough. I still like the Mustang styling inside and out better but the Camaro is definitely the more fun one to drive for me. But being 5k-6k more than the GT makes it tough. Because of my preference for the Mustang styling and it's better visibility and price, if it was my money I'd take the cheaper GT Premium. I'd rather just have a small roadster for a weekend toy when I wanna tear up a back road. And when I find myself on one in the Mustang, it's good enough.

As for things that can be improved, none of the following are necessary but my realistic wish list for the 2017/2018 Mustang to close the gap in response to the Camaro would be:
Any kind of weight loss they can manage.
Another 20-30 hp and torque.
Apple CarPlay/Android Auto integration.
Dual mode exhaust option.
Auto rev-matching for the manual.
The new 10-speed automatic I keep hearing about for the automatic guys to better compete with the GM 8-speed.
Nicer infotainment screen on the base model (4-6 inches).

I think the Mustang will still continue to be the sales leader in the long run simply because it's so much cheaper but I certainly don't blame anyone for choosing the Camaro over it. Both are fantastic.
I agree with your assessment on some of the things the Mustang needs to better compete with the Camaro, however I would be worried adding some of those things would push the price up closer to the Camaro. Especially the infotainment screen. That is just me personally, I can't stand them. I am perfectly fine with what comes in the base model Mustang GT, as it is pretty much the same screen in my Focus.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
While that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, that would be something I have to consider. I almost always prefer to have my windows down and my arm hanging out the side. That would be rough having to angle it up like that.

I agree with your assessment on some of the things the Mustang needs to better compete with the Camaro, however I would be worried adding some of those things would push the price up closer to the Camaro. Especially the infotainment screen. That is just me personally, I can't stand them. I am perfectly fine with what comes in the base model Mustang GT, as it is pretty much the same screen in my Focus.

They could make these things options. You can still run a fully loaded Mustang up to 2SS prices pretty easily. Why not throw in a few more options that people may or may not want?

I personally wish that they had a base,base model SS. Give me manual windows/locks/everything with a basic interior with a V8. Living in Texas I'd just want an AC option. Other than that I'll take basic everything.

Unfortunately in today's world I'm in the minority. Lol.

I have a feeling they'll eventually launch an LS base model Camaro again if sales don't do so well because of the starting price. I may be way off base though.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I personally wish that they had a base,base model SS. Give me manual windows/locks/everything with a basic interior with a V8.
This is 100% not cost effective, it's a whole extra set of parts, and extra consideration for the plant to install. That all adds cost, most studies I have seen show just offering a powered option saves you money as the manufacture. it's always better when you can optimize a design and charge for the content.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.