‘13 E92 M3 vs ‘15 Mustang GT

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I checked out a used 2008 M3 a few years ago. I decided against it because I didn't think it had been well maintained. I ended up buying a 2010 335i XDrive with a 6 speed. With a few mods, it was a very quick car that was fun to drive. I sold that car in 2019. I'm pretty sure my next car will be a 2023 M3 Competition XDrive. I've owned several other brands recently, including a Mustang GT. But, I keep coming back to BMW. They just feel right for me.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I checked out a used 2008 M3 a few years ago. I decided against it because I didn't think it had been well maintained. I ended up buying a 2010 335i XDrive with a 6 speed. With a few mods, it was a very quick car that was fun to drive. I sold that car in 2019. I'm pretty sure my next car will be a 2023 M3 Competition XDrive. I've owned several other brands recently, including a Mustang GT. But, I keep coming back to BMW. They just feel right for me.
I'm kind of there with a G87 M2.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Main bearing failures are very uncommon, and there’s a lot of research on this subject. The rod bearing replacements provide larger clearance. Also who actually follows recommended oil change intervals lol.
You would say that I have a friend who happen to own a very lovely low mile E92 M3 he had a birth day decided to go for a birthday drift the motor blow. He spend the equivalent of 20000$ for a new motor from Germany (which is not super far from Bulgaria) had to ship car etc. Still own the car but bought a new M4 and now trading it for an M3 as he needs the second set of doors. Not to mention the M3 track performance wise is very on par with my Mustang we did back to back test by a pro driver and the difference between a well modded M3 E92 and my 2017 Mustang GT was exactly 0.1 sec in favour of the E92.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
A stock E9x is boring. Too numb, too quiet, and needs a diet (relative to prior generation M3s). Unarguably a rigid chassis but you've got to drive it at nine tenths to derive any real feeling out of the car and that simply isn't possible in any sort of urban environment. Now a highly modified E9X M3 on a diet is a different story. With that said I much prefer the e46 m3 inline 6 with a CSL intake and a proper tune for all of the glorious induction noise. Plus better steering feel, less weight, and overall analog goodness.

I'll take a coyote, noises and all, over an e9x s65.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
You would say that I have a friend who happen to own a very lovely low mile E92 M3 he had a birth day decided to go for a birthday drift the motor blow. He spend the equivalent of 20000$ for a new motor from Germany (which is not super far from Bulgaria) had to ship car etc. Still own the car but bought a new M4 and now trading it for an M3 as he needs the second set of doors. Not to mention the M3 track performance wise is very on par with my Mustang we did back to back test by a pro driver and the difference between a well modded M3 E92 and my 2017 Mustang GT was exactly 0.1 sec in favour of the E92.
I think mustangs are great, but I just prefer my e92 for driver feel, and the aspects I listed beyond lap times. I also have a warranty for my engine/trans If anything catastrophic happens.

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think mustangs are great, but I just prefer my e92 for driver feel, and the aspects I listed beyond lap times. I also have a warranty for my engine/trans If anything catastrophic happens.
the limit on the e92 is not very high it's high if you put it on extreme diet but it's no where near as the limit on a Mustang in terms of Power and mods that you could do to the car you can go as high as 1000 even 2000 hp on a Coyote very hard to do that on an BMW engine. And yeah I know how the E92 M3 sound and I do agree it could be intoxicating. But when you compare how easy to maintain the Mustang is compared to how fragile the BMW is and expensive. I just hope you calculated this good. Ether way we are all car guys so I'm happy you are enjoying your e92.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A stock E9x is boring. Too numb, too quiet, and needs a diet (relative to prior generation M3s). Unarguably a rigid chassis but you've got to drive it at nine tenths to derive any real feeling out of the car and that simply isn't possible in any sort of urban environment. Now a highly modified E9X M3 on a diet is a different story. With that said I much prefer the e46 m3 inline 6 with a CSL intake and a proper tune for all of the glorious induction noise. Plus better steering feel, less weight, and overall analog goodness.

I'll take a coyote, noises and all, over an e9x s65.
Actually the e92 m3 is ~60 lbs heavier than an e46 m3, so really not much. The s65 v8 is lighter than the s54, and makes more power. It’s true the e92 is more tame, it’s far more refined than my last s550. I added a corsa exhaust that gives a nice note. I’ve considered a carbon air box as well, and in stock form there is still a nice induction note. In my mind, the mustang GT is a great budget friendly v8 experience. The m3 just feels more special and performance oriented.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually the e92 m3 is ~60 lbs heavier than an e46 m3, so really not much. The s65 v8 is lighter than the s54, and makes more power. It’s true the e92 is more tame, it’s far more refined than my last s550. I added a corsa exhaust that gives a nice note. I’ve considered a carbon air box as well, and in stock form there is still a nice induction note. In my mind, the mustang GT is a great budget friendly v8 experience. The m3 just feels more special and performance oriented.
That is 100% incorrect on the weight. A stock e46 m3 coupe is around 3450. A stock e92 is over 3600 lbs (and you have the DCT which definitely puts it around 3600). It is 100% boring in stock form, numb, devoid of any special feeling unless pushed to its limits.

You must be looking at an e46 m3 convertible. You have no clue.

Also that engine weight is somewhat dubious, these dudes actually did a like for like for weight comparison where they removed all rotating parts. Of course the S65 weighed more when a bit of practicality was applied.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[/QUOTE]
Maybe the e93 convertible, but e92’s are 3500-3650 depending on spec lol. It’s a fact the v8 engine is lighter and makes more power, you don’t really have a clue. I like e46’s too, just a bigger fan of the s65.
My mustang was completely dull stock. Fine if you want a car to cruise in, but needs a lot of work to match the feel an e92 provides.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe the e93 convertible, but e92’s are 3500-3650 depending on spec lol. It’s a fact the v8 engine is lighter and makes more power, you don’t really have a clue. I like e46’s too, just a bigger fan of the s65.
My mustang was completely dull stock. Fine if you want a car to cruise in, but needs a lot of work to match the feel an e92 provides.
[/QUOTE]

Did you really come back to a mustang forum to brag about how your e9x is better than mustangs (in your opinion) ? Damn, that's some weak sauce. I'm a BMW guy through and through, wouldn't go to the BMW forum and talk on my Mustang.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you really come back to a mustang forum to brag about how your e9x is better than mustangs (in your opinion) ? Damn, that's some weak sauce. I'm a BMW guy through and through, wouldn't go to the BMW forum and talk on my Mustang.
[/QUOTE]
This post is in a vs section just comparing my experience with 2 similar platforms.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This post is in a vs section just comparing my experience with 2 similar platforms.
[/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem that way to me. First off an e92 m3 new cost how much compared to a 2015 Mustang GT? The price differential alone pretty much disallows comparison. A better comparison would be vs a GT350 or Mach 1. I would expect a vastly more expensive car to be more rigid but it doesn't change the fact that a e9x is boring in stock form, unless pushed, even though it cost a ton of money. An unless you have a stripper manual e92 you aren't hitting below, or at much below, 3600.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Just an FYI my 2004 E46 M3 when I had it cornered balanced with a full tank of fuel weighed just under 3500lbs at 3486lbs, my car had a sunroof. My 2011 E92 M3 with 6MT and ZCP package with sunroof came in at 3625lbs and that was after removing the cats for test pipes and saving 25lbs out back from the huge boat anchor exhaust that car had.

The E46 was almost 200lbs lighter than the E92, but the E92 with the S65 felt so much faster.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't seem that way to me. First off an e92 m3 new cost how much compared to a 2015 Mustang GT? The price differential alone pretty much disallows comparison. A better comparison would be vs a GT350 or Mach 1. I would expect a vastly more expensive car to be more rigid but it doesn't change the fact that a e9x is boring in stock form, unless pushed, even though it cost a ton of money. An unless you have a stripper manual e92 you aren't hitting below, or at much below, 3600.
[/QUOTE]

I don't even think that you can compare an e92 m3 something that even the S197 was very capable of smoking daily to the S550 and S650. In fact for every BMW / Mustang fen I suggest they should watch the Hagerty Dark Horse review there is a great comparison between every M3 and the corresponding Mustang counterpart.

The M3 E92 is nothing special it might have been something special 10-15 years ago but we are talking 10-15 years ago to be fair based on lap times alone my Mustang is chasing the newer M3/M4's with an reasonable success rate and handling is not exactly the modern BMW's strong side. The E92 M3 is nothing special in terms of performance ether. Also stiffer suspension is not always better. I know what he mean by handling it really have that go cart like feeling in the way it drives but surprisingly that doesn't correspond in lap times at least not enough.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just an FYI my 2004 E46 M3 when I had it cornered balanced with a full tank of fuel weighed just under 3500lbs at 3486lbs, my car had a sunroof. My 2011 E92 M3 with 6MT and ZCP package with sunroof came in at 3625lbs and that was after removing the cats for test pipes and saving 25lbs out back from the huge boat anchor exhaust that car had.

The E46 was almost 200lbs lighter than the E92, but the E92 with the S65 felt so much faster.
Witch if you do the math stock vs stock is 10.3 lbs/hp vs 8.25 lbs/hp.
Sponsored