Sponsored

‘13 E92 M3 vs ‘15 Mustang GT

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
I had my mustang GT for 2 years, modifying it with long tubes, Gt350 manifold, and coilovers. It was my track+street car, and it really fit that role well.

3 months ago I went and sold the s550 and picked up a 2013 E92 M3 comp with a DCT. The difference is night and day. The chassis is far more nimble in bone stock form than my modified mustang. The engine characteristics are similar, however the s65 v8 has a more Motorsport feel, and an intoxicating 8300 rpm redline. Plus better induction noise from 8 individual throttle bodies. Interior is obviously superior in quality, but also feels more driver focused. My mustang was manual so the transmissions are tricky to compare, but I prefer the DCT by far. It keeps the m3 in the powerband, and rivals Porsche’s PDK.
Overall I enjoyed the mustang for what it is, a more raw and rugged driving experience. But the M3 is a truly unique experience that captures what I value in performance cars.
The common comparison to the e92 is the GT350. I considered one, but it felt a bit more sloppy than the M3. I think the engine is phenomenal though.
IMG_1932.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Nice write up! I have a buddy with a e93 M3 (convertible) and we have competed in several track days together each driver each others cars. I found the M3 to be more nimble around a track and the DCT was definitely intoxicating! However the straight line speed of the mustang was noticeably better, even with his stage 2 tune (GT is bone stock A10). I credit most of this to the 10 speed. At the end of the day he beat me due to my brakes overheating and the lack of grippy tires I have (he was running cup 2s). It really comes down to what track you are running. If you want a purist track vehicle the M3 is the winner, but I would still choose the GT over the M3 to own. Grand Tour during the week and a decently capable track vehicle on the weekend :like:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I had my mustang GT for 2 years, modifying it with long tubes, Gt350 manifold, and coilovers. It was my track+street car, and it really fit that role well.

3 months ago I went and sold the s550 and picked up a 2013 E92 M3 comp with a DCT. The difference is night and day. The chassis is far more nimble in bone stock form than my modified mustang. The engine characteristics are similar, however the s65 v8 has a more Motorsport feel, and an intoxicating 8300 rpm redline. Plus better induction noise from 8 individual throttle bodies. Interior is obviously superior in quality, but also feels more driver focused. My mustang was manual so the transmissions are tricky to compare, but I prefer the DCT by far. It keeps the m3 in the powerband, and rivals Porsche’s PDK.
Overall I enjoyed the mustang for what it is, a more raw and rugged driving experience. But the M3 is a truly unique experience that captures what I value in performance cars.
The common comparison to the e92 is the GT350. I considered one, but it felt a bit more sloppy than the M3. I think the engine is phenomenal though.
IMG_1932.jpeg

I agree with all of what you wrote. I owned 2 E92 M3s, a 2011 and my 2013 which I bought both new. I sold the 2013 M3 in May 2020 when my wife lost her job due to Covid putting me on the path of the Mustang. I miss my 2013 E92 M3 immensely, my E92 M3 put down 377rwhp with test pipes and a BMP tune.

2y5G27oUwYvvsSiVJVF=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

IOHfX8o6N4B5xL11dxo=w2274-h1279-s-no-gm?authuser=0.jpg

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice write up! I have a buddy with a e93 M3 (convertible) and we have competed in several track days together each driver each others cars. I found the M3 to be more nimble around a track and the DCT was definitely intoxicating! However the straight line speed of the mustang was noticeably better, even with his stage 2 tune (GT is bone stock A10). I credit most of this to the 10 speed. At the end of the day he beat me due to my brakes overheating and the lack of grippy tires I have (he was running cup 2s). It really comes down to what track you are running. If you want a purist track vehicle the M3 is the winner, but I would still choose the GT over the M3 to own. Grand Tour during the week and a decently capable track vehicle on the weekend :like:
Yes, I loved my mustang for grand touring. Stock the suspension is floaty, but very comfortable. The 6th gear overdrive worked great for all the road-trips I took. The DCT is very race oriented. Tight ratios, so 7th gear at 70 mph is ~3k rpm lol.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I loved my mustang for grand touring. Stock the suspension is floaty, but very comfortable. The 6th gear overdrive worked great for all the road-trips I took. The DCT is very race oriented. Tight ratios, so 7th gear at 70 mph is ~3k rpm lol.
Mine was a 6MT, there wasn't a single lazy gear with that car.

Sponsored

Cpcloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 6MT
Beautiful M3's.

I occasionally tout with the idea of owning an E92 M3. Owned a 07' Z4 Coupe in the past and stayed a BMW fanatic since owning that car. Love my mustang but the Ms are a total different experience.

I you don't mind me asking. What was your purchasing process like for the M3?

What did you look out for when buying yours?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is the M3 model year with the Flat Plane Crank V8 yes?
Those have a bevy of issues when they get some miles on it one of which is the Double VANOS system. I FUCKEN love this cars noises though. Some of my friends spent thousands of dollars just maintaining the car. I hope now that time has passed these things are easier on the pocketbooks.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those have a bevy of issues when they get some miles on it one of which is the Double VANOS system. I FUCKEN love this cars noises though. Some of my friends spent thousands of dollars just maintaining the car. I hope now that time has passed these things are easier on the pocketbooks.

Actually they are pretty stout. The issue they have are easily fixed if caught early. The issues are the rod bearings and the throttle position solenoid for the individual throttle bodies. You just have to stay on top of it. I had my E92 M3 for almost 8 yrs., not once did the car get warranty work or other items needed to be fixed other than for maintenance.

One other thing, they weren't FPC they were regular cross plane cranks and they spun to 8400rpm.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beautiful M3's.

I occasionally tout with the idea of owning an E92 M3. Owned a 07' Z4 Coupe in the past and stayed a BMW fanatic since owning that car. Love my mustang but the Ms are a total different experience.

A low mileage E92 M3 with a manual transmission are still pretty pricey. Here is an overpriced sample but a car under 60K miles will still set you back near the $50k range. Here is a low mileage Lime Rock edition. Which are really no different than regular M3s other than paint options and such

1708117547327.png

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beautiful M3's.

[/QUOTE]
I found it at a reputable BMW dealer, and I checked for consistent service history intervals. The spec was very important for me (alpine white, fox red interior, carbon roof, comp pack). Only things not addressed were rod bearings and throttle actuators. I had the bearings replaced the same week I bought the car for peace of mind, and I have a warranty to cover me for TA’s. I’d feel more suspect buying private party. Overall I took a year looked for the spec, and the history checked out.

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

One of the largest determinations for upkeep costs is prior maintenance history. I just paid 2500 for rod bearings and motor mounts, and it’s been solid for my ownership and a few road-trips I’ve taken. My mustang on the other hand had constant issues, and the trans was on its way out when I sold it. I just didn’t have faith in that car.

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
One of my favorite cars. Picked one of these up in Munich at the BMW plant in 2007 or 2008 with a friend (was his). The drive back home on the Autobahn was priceless. We switched a couple times. He did not care about break in as it was a lease. We gave that thing hell. Still thinking of it today.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I test drove an E92 when I was considering selling my C5 Z06. I think the dealer wanted $24K for it or so (pre Covid price). It was in limp mode and the dash looked like a Christmas tree. The interior was really nice and ergonomics good from what I remember (I'm 6'4"). I actually wanted the car even with the problems but for some reason the sales person never returned my calls after that day. I did some research and I was nervous about repair costs for an older vehicle, but I'd still love to own one.

OP
OP
Driv3n to Dr1ve

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I test drove an E92 when I was considering selling my C5 Z06. I think the dealer wanted $24K for it or so (pre Covid price). It was in limp mode and the dash looked like a Christmas tree. The interior was really nice and ergonomics good from what I remember (I'm 6'4"). I actually wanted the car even with the problems but for some reason the sales person never returned my calls after that day. I did some research and I was nervous about repair costs for an older vehicle, but I'd still love to own one.
I was cross shopping e92 m3’s with mustang GT’s, and the repairs held me back too. In the end it’s more expensive, but not terrible. I bought mine with a warranty just in case anything catastrophic goes bad, but it’s been a great car.
Sponsored