Sponsored

2015 V6 driveshaft

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
Does anybody have fact on why there's a limit on the V6 120 mph and is there a limit on the 5.0 and ecoboost. Ty
Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
tires

That is all, Drive shafts are fine.

Also there is no premium V6

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The GT is limited to 149 mph because of tire rating. Probably same reason why the V6 is limited to 120 mph.
Car manufactures can't post a higher speed limit if they don't put suited tires on. It's liability. It's always easier to lower the cost by putting on normal tires and put limiter in.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The GT is limited to 149 mph because of tire rating. Probably same reason why the V6 is limited to 120 mph.
Car manufactures can't post a higher speed limit if they don't put suited tires on. It's liability. It's always easier to lower the cost by putting on normal tires and put limiter in.
So if you put higher rated tires on with the stock drive shaft and remove the limiter via a tune you should be fine? I recall seeing a video on youtube of a guy with a stock s197 V6 who removed the limiter and his drive shaft cracked at 135mph.

GT40 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6 Fastback
The V6 and the GT share the same driveshaft.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
So if you put higher rated tires on with the stock drive shaft and remove the limiter via a tune you should be fine? I recall seeing a video on youtube of a guy with a stock s197 V6 who removed the limiter and his drive shaft cracked at 135mph.
Either the driveshaft was defective or it was damages.
It should be balanced from the factory.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
These are the videos in question:
[ame]
[ame]

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's clearly not balanced or weight balancer fell off due to rust.
The german version can do 155mph
[ame]

Fox-4

Just Lurking!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
'02 Mustang GT, '16 Mustang Ecoboost
These are the videos in question:

It's clearly not balanced or weight balancer fell off due to rust.
The german version can do 155mph
These are not cars of the same generation, I'm not certain if Ford made a German version of the S197. But I do agree that the drive shaft in the 2011-2014 V6 was a weak link in those cars.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I eventually want an CF Drive shaft. Heard good things like bet mileage and more HP at the rear wheels-- true??

Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
I don't understand why people see this as an issue. Seriously, what is the point of going that fast? I completely condone street racing and really all other types of racing, but I can not find a time where cars of this power will ever NEED to go 135+mph. Can someone give a good reason for it?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't understand why people see this as an issue. Seriously, what is the point of going that fast? I completely condone street racing and really all other types of racing, but I can not find a time where cars of this power will ever NEED to go 135+mph. Can someone give a good reason for it?
Because it can?

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
The old V6 used a different driveshaft. There was a video of Glenn from this forum on the autobahn going 167 in his ecoboost which has the same driveshaft. This topic has come up a few times, as others have said it is simply the tire rating. You would need to upgrade your tires & rims to approach those speeds. Then you get it tuned so you can remove the limiter, but I dont really see the point. I am more interested in improving acceleration than top speed.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
The old V6 used a different driveshaft. There was a video of Glenn from this forum on the autobahn going 167 in his ecoboost which has the same driveshaft. This topic has come up a few times, as others have said it is simply the tire rating. You would need to upgrade your tires & rims to approach those speeds. Then you get it tuned so you can remove the limiter, but I dont really see the point. I am more interested in improving acceleration than top speed.
Yep I sure did, now I've actually hit 175mph (282kph) GPS verified :thumbsup:

I have read of 4 V6 drive shaft failures 2, were FI cars on dynos! I explained it here.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31896
We have no solid rear axle so our u joints only move very little due to engine torque and chassis flex. The solid rear axle moves alot and puts massive stress on the u joint. once it reaches a certain angle it goes pop.
In an IRS car like the s550 with the diff bolted to the body the u joints can not reach this critical angle without something else braking like the diff mounts

This Video will make it more clear than I can and you will see how a constantly changing u joint angle can cause issues.

[ame]

You can and will pop just about any driveshaft with enough power and grippy tires however!

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
I am more interested in improving acceleration than top speed.
An aluminum or carbon fiber shaft will improve acceleration. That and a lightweight wheel/tire combo will also help. It makes for the same amount of torque having spin less mass to get everything in motion. Beware that it'll increase noise/vibration... most aftermarket shafts do away with the rubber guibo joint between front of the factory shaft and transmission flange.

That is all...
Sponsored