Status
Not open for further replies.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
What I gathered from the article was that there were 2 cars. One had a terminal failure with the oil cooler. The other car blew some smoke but they checked it and it continued on.

I'm just assuming the customer car was the one that blew some smoke. An oil cooler failure renders the car unable to be driven, a la a couple of our UK brothers.

I stand to be corrected as I know what happens when one ass u me.

Cheers
I'm not privy to all the info but I can tell you the customer car has since spent
3-4 months off the road whilst the Whipple supercharged engine was rebuilt as a result of the oil cooler failure.
I've repeatedly asked on other social media why the engine was rebuilt rather than a new engine fitted with no response.
Not looking to hang shit on anyone, just wanting some clarity on the specifics.
I think we all agree that the tuners have no control over the quality of parts supplied by Ford, particularly the oil cooler.
No, I'm not a potential SF customer (or Harrop, Herrod etc) but I feel that those who ARE potential customers deserve to know the what's, whys and how's of the warranty they are about to purchase at a premium price.
Eg. If your engine DOES go mushy, is it standard procedure to wait 3-4 months for repairs OR are you within your rights to demand a full replacement, performed in a more timely manner? :shrug:
Sponsored

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
Looking at this magazine article I find tuning shops quoted power figures frustrating to read. The cars should be put on a dyno to get the power figures. For example the NA V8 power figure differences quoted by the tuners are generally over the top. There is very little performance difference from the standard V8 and yet the claimed increases are from around 50kW to almost 100kW over the standard car.

I get that every dyno is different but can't they go with rear wheel power to make some more accurate comparisons rather than estimated flywheel figures the shops are making?

Bobsp12

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lots of Fords
I'm not privy to all the info but I can tell you the customer car has since spent
3-4 months off the road whilst the Whipple supercharged engine was rebuilt as a result of the oil cooler failure.
I've repeatedly asked on other social media why the engine was rebuilt rather than a new engine fitted with no response.
I think we all agree that the tuners have no control over the quality of parts supplied by Ford, particularly the oil cooler.
No, I'm not a potential SF customer (or Harrop, Herrod etc) but I feel that those who ARE potential customers deserve to know the what's, whys and how's of the warranty they are about to purchase at a premium price.
Eg. If your engine DOES go mushy, is it standard procedure to wait 3-4 months for repairs OR are you within your rights to demand a full replacement, performed in a more timely manner? :shrug:
Having cast an eye over some of those "warranties", Burkey, they are about as usefull as a dealership extended warranty. Very limited and a lot of parts aren't covered. There is usually a maximum dollar figure as well.
I would be pretty nervous with a lot of those so called warranties.

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Looking at this magazine article I find tuning shops quoted power figures frustrating to read. The cars should be put on a dyno to get the power figures. For example the NA V8 power figure differences quoted by the tuners are generally over the top. There is very little performance difference from the standard V8 and yet the claimed increases are from around 50kW to almost 100kW over the standard car.

I get that every dyno is different but can't they go with rear wheel power to make some more accurate comparisons rather than estimated flywheel figures the shops are making?
So true Vinno. A tuned/ full exhaust car, should be a good half second quicker over the 1/4 and putting in high 12s. Stock GT was 13.4, on the same track/conditions, i presume.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT

Thanks Burkey,

I don't know all the facts either, it was just the way I interpreted the article. If subsequently the car developed some problems after the track day then SF should have mentioned that when replying to some posts here.

In the UK, Ford has replaced the oil cooler in at least 2 6G Forum members cars and these cars were modded. Some of their cars have been tracked too and no problems reported.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take a risk with tuning my car. I'll leave it with a cat-back and a CAI. I get on alright with my selling dealer too and there's enough power for me.

Cheers

Sponsored

Mick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT vert
Thanks Burkey,

I don't know all the facts either, it was just the way I interpreted the article. If subsequently the car developed some problems after the track day then SF should have mentioned that when replying to some posts here.

In the UK, Ford has replaced the oil cooler in at least 2 6G Forum members cars and these cars were modded. Some of their cars have been tracked too and no problems reported.

Personally, I wouldn't want to take a risk with tuning my car. I'll leave it with a cat-back and a CAI. I get on alright with my selling dealer too and there's enough power for me.

Cheers
It would be fair to say, that track work and warranty might not be a great marriage.

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
"I'm not privy to all the info but I can tell you the customer car has since spent
"

Having cast an eye over some of those "warranties", Burkey, they are about as usefull as a dealership extended warranty. Very limited and a lot of parts aren't covered. There is usually a maximum dollar figure as well.
I would be pretty nervous with a lot of those so called warranties.
The owner of that car is a regular on one of the other interweb formats. She has mentioned that SF were rebuilding her engine for free despite it being a Ford factory part failure. I haven't read a single post of hers that indicates she is unhappy with the treatment from SF. Assuming nothing has changed in that story it looks like the SF warranty was worth having and SF have done the right thing. Like Burkey, I am not a SF client nor am I likely to be, however, some balance in the discussion is worth adding in my mind.

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
It would be fair to say, that track work and warranty might not be a great marriage.
My dealer has organised a track day (Mallala SA) coming up in a few weeks. When I rang to RSVP they said something about having an inspection of the vehicle first. More details to follow. I'll be interested in how they conduct the inspection (i.e. is it more than regular CAMS scrutineering?) and what format the day takes.

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How about a retraction guys?
I dont believe any retracted statements are required.

This is not the first instance of questionable service/product from the company in question.
I have seen data logs of the N/A tune showing undesirable amounts of knock. and then the promises and claims being proven wrong over and over. It is concerning to say the least.
Lead to believe you are getting quality while charged a premium.

If it were your car having issues, after all the promises. I think you would change your tune. (pun intended)

OP
OP
Streetfighter Mustang

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
Clarification to all the questions.

Streetfighter , SF700S led all Motor Magazine categories until last event when standard Ford oil cooler let go and blew oil externally (is known to be a Ford problem). Lost oil pressure and car had a DNF. This cost us taking out the complete event. Vehicle was not restarted and was freighted home.
Streetfighter offered to either replace the motor with a fresh brand new one ( ready within 2 weeks) or rebuild the motor with a forged bottom end , improved baffled sump and redeveloped oil cooler set up.
Our customer opted for the built motor and was fully satisfied with the time frames quoted.

Streetfighter SFPII took out the most points and won the n/a category.
As this was also a customer vehicle we instructed test driver Warren Luff to take it easy as we were concerned with the Mustang stock oil coolers.
We were also concerned with the Mustangs unbaffled sumps surging oil as was experienced by several cars at the event.
Regardless , this car finished all the events perfectly, was top placed naturally aspirated Mustang and was driven 900 km back home, washed and delivered to our customer.

Sponsored

5HOWOFF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang SF850R
Firstly I would like to thank Streetfighter for everything they have done.
As streetfighter mentioned, I was given the opportunity to either have my motor replaced or a engine rebuild.
I decided to go with the engine build for many reasons. Reasons that I personally do not feel the need that I have to go onto social media and explain myself.
Streetfighter and I have worked together, to build and to upgrade parts to make sure the car is stronger than ever, which it is.

I would recommended streetfighter to anyone. At the end of the day it was a factory part that failed and had nothing to do with the modifications of the car.

My car is now the SF850R and is currently making 504.9rwkw.

The car is unbelievable and I'm so happy with it.

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
How do you find the diff? Did you change ratio's too?

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
Firstly I would like to thank Streetfighter for everything they have done.
As streetfighter mentioned, I was given the opportunity to either have my motor replaced or a engine rebuild.
I decided to go with the engine build for many reasons. Reasons that I personally do not feel the need that I have to go onto social media and explain myself.
Streetfighter and I have worked together, to build and to upgrade parts to make sure the car is stronger than ever, which it is.

I would recommended streetfighter to anyone. At the end of the day it was a factory part that failed and had nothing to do with the modifications of the car.

My car is now the SF850R and is currently making 504.9rwkw.

Are Streetfighter with you now? Blink twice for yes and once for no

:lol:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh come on, I already know you're thinking about the next mods! You've done at least one since you got the car back already!
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.