Sponsored

MT-82

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
Has anyone experienced any issues with the MT82 transmission?
I have read some horror stories on the same transmission back on the 2011-2014 models and wondered if you guys have experienced any issues or has Ford actually fixed the problems.

Is Auto a "safer" bet from a reliability point of view when it comes to the 2016 Mustang?
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
No issue here. I'd actually go as far as to say I LOVE this gearbox.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
I love my car, but the trans/shifter is awful. I thought the T56 in my SS was bad...

I'm praying it's just the shifter, will be installing my MGW asap. Honestly it's notchier and makes more noise than the M21 in my WB.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I love my car, but the trans/shifter is awful. I thought the T56 in my SS was bad...

I'm praying it's just the shifter, will be installing my MGW asap. Honestly it's notchier and makes more noise than the M21 in my WB.
For real? What noise/s are you getting?

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly it's notchier and makes more noise than the M21 in my WB.
Agreed. Very notchy and noisy compared to my experience in other manuals.

I have a very audible whine whilst shifting between the lower gears.

Having said that, there are plenty of reports of clunking autos out there.

Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
I wasn't happy with my shifter but after putting in the mgw it's hands down the best mod I have done.

I was on a stock mustang a week or so ago and it's just so notchy and imprecise

WILDB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT convertible Oxford White
I have no complaints about the gearbox in mine whatsoever. It can be a bit notchy when it's cold at times, but is a joy to use at every other time in my opinion.

Glad I went with manual.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
For real? What noise/s are you getting?
Yeah, I just find so much resistance shifting through 1-2-3, with the odd metal-on-metal clunk from 1-2. Occasionally it doesn't want to go back into 1 while slowing to a stop. The T56 did the same, but wasn't quite as notchy

I'm pretty sure it's just the shifter, trans moving around under load etc. The whine is now drowned out by the corsa, but it's still there

I certainly don't wish I got the auto, but I look forward to improving it

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You guys should get the BG shift 2 trans oil from optimum performance. it really improves the shifting, there is just the one notch to get into each gear but all the roughness between throws etc is gone. its also really improved the cold start operation, i'm pretty happy with it now and might look at a shifter later on down the track but its a decent improvement so the shifter has now moved down the list of importance

here is more info http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48679&highlight=shift

Sponsored

FIXR7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
'93 Range Rover Rogue 351 powered, '17 Ruby GT, '99 XH V8-S ute, '69 Mercury Cougar XR7 S-code, '96 XH Ex-pork van
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't got mine yet but I wasn't unimpressed with it in the one I test drove. I'm spoilt too....my GS has the 6060. Fantastic box! Prob something to consider down the track when the 82 goes plink. The whole 6060 assembly should be avail via ford racing from the GT350 to drop right in.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I just find so much resistance shifting through 1-2-3, with the odd metal-on-metal clunk from 1-2. Occasionally it doesn't want to go back into 1 while slowing to a stop. The T56 did the same, but wasn't quite as notchy

I'm pretty sure it's just the shifter, trans moving around under load etc. The whine is now drowned out by the corsa, but it's still there

I certainly don't wish I got the auto, but I look forward to improving it
Sounds like there's a bit of variation from one to the next. I've never had any of what you're talking about... :shrug:

rotisserie_gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Roush Stage 3
I find it a bit sloppy at times if I am shifting aggressively - mostly 2/3. Sometimes it will just slide right into 3rd, and others it fights a little or just feels notchy. It's not constant, but annoying when it happens. I found that the Barton bracket really helped reduce this for me. With the bracket it's fine I'd say 80/85% of the time. If you add the full short throw kit it basically eliminates any slop. We have one in our Boss, and it's night and day.

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like there's a bit of variation from one to the next. I've never had any of what you're talking about... :shrug:
Of course, happens with any manufacturer. I wasn't expecting much (hence I bought the MGW before the car), but even still I'm disappointed in the stock performance. Will do trans fluid at the same time as MGW, and report back

disco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Try driving a toploader....you'll never complain of notchiness again lol!

Cheers,
Dave.
Sponsored