Sponsored

Drag Strip Rules

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP
There is a track in tucson and its 2 hours away, I am thinking to go there this weekend and see if they let me run there without a cage.
That's where I'll be Saturday.

JmalB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge NSRT-4, 2015 Mustang GT PP
Talked to a couple experts here and they say 11.5 if it's altered

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Our local tracks (Pacific Raceways & Bremerton Raceway) both use NHRA rules. Any mods to your car result in needing a 6-pt roll bar if you run 11.49 or quicker. I ran an 11.57 and 11.59 recently and do not want a roll bar in my daily driver, so no more mods for me. Our local tracks are very strict on the cage thing, and a buddy of mine just installed a cage in his '12 GT AT (Procharged) after getting shut down for going too quick.

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
I run 10.3@140 - 10.5 @ 138 and no peeps lol

I run in jeans/t shirt/shoes with a helmet

Sponsored

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Our local track has no tech that I know of. About 15 years ago, my best friend put a REALLY strong smallblock chevy in a '71 datsun 240z. He had a 300 shot on it. He'd roll out about 50 feet and hit it (to keep the stock halfshafts in it). His best pass was 9.52 at 152. As you know, that trap speed is more appropriate for a high 8. Here's the funny part: The car had no rollcage, NO SUBFRAME CONNECTORS, and no harness. Stock 1971 seat belts (and brakes), no parachute, nothing. He did it on an 8 or 8.5" slick, so the car didn't look like it would be all that fast. They NEVER once said anything to him. At one point it was starting to tear the body off the subframe at the left front corner of the car, so he welded it back down. I think that brought him back to Earth on the risk he was taking, so he quit taking it to the track. Still street raced it though.

redzx2texas

"Medusa"
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB 6r80 coyote 5.0, FBO
From my experiance in the Drag racing world as an employee, alot of tech guys get hammered to learn the e.t.'s that are illigal, and not the mph that are illigal for safety equipment, also most tracks tend to use their newer less knowledgable tech guys on a street night, and their more seasoned tech guys during an event. Also it depends on whos starting and whos paying attention to the times your running from the startline crew or the et shack guy. if you have a real hard ass on the startline, or in the et shack checking your car for safety, he will nail you everytime, but if there is a guy that doesnt really pay attention, bam, turn it up, haha.

Arrowsigns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadi-Mustang-Silvarado-
Maybe someone knows if modified door bars are legal in a 6 point cage. Either portable via clips (pull them out when not at the track) or running the door bars close to the shape of the front seat (out of the way as much as possible). I am considering the rear seat delete, if needed, but would hate to dodge a door bar when getting in and out of the car.
Thanks

Hyland33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Maybe someone knows if modified door bars are legal in a 6 point cage. Either portable via clips (pull them out when not at the track) or running the door bars close to the shape of the front seat (out of the way as much as possible). I am considering the rear seat delete, if needed, but would hate to dodge a door bar when getting in and out of the car.
Thanks
A lot of people run removeable door bars or have swing outs.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Yea it's still not hard to get bounced. Last Friday I watched a whippled S550 run 9.7s and a newer GTR also got bounced for a 9.6@165. Both guys just travel a circuit of the tri-state tracks. They hit every track about once every three months so the track officials have time to forget their cars. They'll be back in a few months and get bounced again. It's their way of skirting the rules.
Reminds me of when i went mid 8s in my old supra:lol: this was at the time when most supras supposedly only ran 12s with 600hp or 1000. :lol: They were so pissed. They kicked me out so fast it made my head spin. I made the pass without a helmet, harness, absolutely nothing. Shortly after that i went ahead and got all my required pieces. Just thought it would be funny to try without.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
Thanks
I have a Watson bar with removable door bars. They use plates that make it pretty quick and easy to pull the bars after trac duty.

OP
OP

Yellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
6 points roll bars are good to 135MPH if you run faster than that you need 10 point roll cage

SloSVO

Village Idiot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
Tucson is a bit more lax than Wild Horse, specially if you go and Arizona's fastest street cars are running...... not as awesome as Speedworld was though...

Mike Jesse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium
it's pretty simple to follow the NHRA rules.
Down to 11.50, anything goes.
Quicker will require the bar "IF" the car has been altered with more
than just a tire change.

If I show up at my local tracks and run quicker than 11.50, and it has a blower etc. I would expect to get bounced after the first pass.

Now if your local track turns the other way, they just want your money and
have no interest in track safety.

Your call.
Sponsored