Sponsored

Will the regular GT ever again have 460 or more HP without electric assist?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Blaming the EPA was convenient, marketing friendly, and became folklore.
The manufacturers at the time didn't want to spend millions on the emissions & 400+ horsepower game.

Granted the big bores had more torque. However, if Ford could make a N.A. motor in the +400 cubic inch range using today's technology it would probably crush an old school big block
Any gen2/gen3 coyote stock for stock would crush a old school big block.
Sponsored

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
I don't get all the worry of being down 10hp. I guarantee you couldn't feel the difference from 450 to 460. As far as future mustangs not sure, I have my 19 and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.
I've never driven a '21, but I can't say I'm missing 10hp when I drive my '22.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
“Any gen2/gen3 coyote stock for stock would crush a old school big block.”

This right here is the 100% gospel truth. I speak as a first hand witness.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It's already been confirmed that the 5.0 will be around for the S650.
That was before the new EPA regs dropped.

And since then.....18 days ago.......the manufacturers have been oddly silent on the topic.

It's very weird.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
That was before the new EPA regs dropped.

And since then.....18 days ago.......the manufacturers have been oddly silent on the topic.

It's very weird.
If no V8, they should just kill the Mustang now. It won't sell in other countries without it, and won't sell well here either. I seriously don't think Ford will let that happen.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
“Any gen2/gen3 coyote stock for stock would crush a old school big block.”

This right here is the 100% gospel truth. I speak as a first hand witness.
Although true, I know which I prefer to go for a cruise in and which gets more thumbs up.....

More 100% gospel truth.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
I don't get all the worry of being down 10hp. I guarantee you couldn't feel the difference from 450 to 460. As far as future mustangs not sure, I have my 19 and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.
And yet the E85 Flex Tuners swear you can feel 10HP with a tune #seatofthepantsdyno 😂😂

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
And yet the E85 Flex Tuners swear you can feel 10HP with a tune #seatofthepantsdyno 😂😂
I feel it in my head, where it counts the most.

Same principle why placebo pills often work.

If you think it’s real, it’s real.

Sponsored

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
If no V8, they should just kill the Mustang now. It won't sell in other countries without it, and won't sell well here either. I seriously don't think Ford will let that happen.
I'd be perfectly content with a twin turbo V6, e.g., Ford GT.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
I'd be perfectly content with a twin turbo V6, e.g., Ford GT.
I love twin turbo's, but a Mustang without a V8 option will take a lot of getting used to. To me a huge part of the appeal is the V8. The resurrected 5.0 was just icing on the cake.

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
I wish. But except for a few of us people don't really seem to care. I see way more Ecoboost Mustangs than GTs, Ford sells a hell of a lot of them.

I've seen three electric Mustangs.

I like a V8, and you like a V8 but the buying public has proven very disloyal towards anything but brand name and styling.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I love twin turbo's, but a Mustang without a V8 option will take a lot of getting used to. To me a huge part of the appeal is the V8. The resurrected 5.0 was just icing on the cake.
The only thing "resurrected" about the 5.0 was the chrome 5.0 badge on the fender. The 5.0 coyote has nothing in common with the pushrod 5.0, not even the actual displacement of the engine.

Back to the OP's statement about 460HP being the peak, never to be reached again, I disagree. The lost 10HP is merely a minor bump in road. We are in a huge golden age of Horsepower, the longest running trend in domestic automotive marketing except maybe for the SUV segment. Technology overcame the emissions restrictions of the 70's and by the early 80's had reignited the manufacturers trend of upping HP with each model redesign. Technology and design continue to march forward and the high output ICE is not dead yet. I predict a 480HP ICE will be available in the base Mustang GT before it's replaced with any sort of hybrid powertrain. If nothing else, they could move the 480HP Bullitt engine to the base GT as they introduce a 500HP gen4 coyote for special models.

What I miss about the original Muscle Car era was virtually every platform from every car brand (excluding luxury Brands like Cadillac and Lincoln, etc) had a coupe body style available with performance oriented option packages that included larger than standard V8 engines. I know someone is going to point out the lack of a V8 or performance package on the Pinto, but I said "virtually", so yes I know there are exceptions, but whether you wanted a compact (think Maverick Grabber) mid-size (like Fairlanes and Torinos) or full size (Galaxies), you could have it in a coupe body with a V8, you didn't have to have a Mustang or Camaro or Challenger to get a V8 performance car.

In todays market, if you want a performance car with a V8, you're pretty limited in what type of car you can buy. In Ford's defense they did add a performance option to a few models in the line-up in the form of an ST ecoboost version. The Fiesta, Focus, and Edge ST models are an indication of how much performance sells in todays market, but they aren't the same as a V8.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Although true, I know which I prefer to go for a cruise in and which gets more thumbs up.....
Like a 1973 Javelin w/ a 6.0L LS~4L60E combo ? Was gonna coyote swap it. even got a 10R80, but decided a LS/4L60E would be WAY easier just for a weekend cruiser.
Sponsored