Sponsored

Will the regular GT ever again have 460 or more HP without electric assist?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
Perfectly ok to not have driving as a priority even though I did at 15 yrs 11mo. My daughter is just getting around to it at 29. I get it - other drivers are crazy, distracted douche bags (generalizing) and she needs to have a skill set and real need to handle that nonsense. Cost of insurance , gas and maintenance is huge for a young person. As soon as she started lessons I bought her a good reliable safe used car. Weekend drives early in the vert are my only bit I still enjoy. Commuting in traffic? Hells No.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Nope. The Man bun is on my son Who owns the Shebly. LOL.
167663336_4420658112021_4691425621633351976_n.jpg
89133010_4152439966735_2318644300973342720_o.jpg
how do you guys like the shelby compared to yours? any mods to the 500?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
how do you guys like the shelby compared to yours? any mods to the 500?
He loves the car. Still stock, as he's in Commiefornia. He said my GT (93 oct) was about dead even against his Shelby (91 oct) when it was stock. He says my car is nuts now. He has had it up to 160, (Mexico/covid time). Way different gearing between the 2 cars.

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Here's some fuel (or voltage) on this fire:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/n...ing-soon/?mc_cid=0ecb0e4e5b&mc_eid=5e8caa291f

Will it be fast?; will it sound good?; will it still make "car guys" happy? YES to all of those, so if an electrified Mustang is coming I am ok with it.
My prediction is this insanely fast EV with sub 1 second 0-60 and sub 8 second quarter mile will be short lived before governments will start to govern these mostly technology managed EV motors. Right now it's a pay to play type situation with higher horsepower cars generally costing much more than average everyday cars. When the 16 year old is getting into their mom's Tesla jelly bean grocery getter and doing 0-60 in 2 seconds, there is going to be all kinds of societal issues we see today but amplified. Governments will start to regulate limiters based on the speed limit, acceleration dimming etc. within only a few years.

Jump forward another 10-15 years and the powers that be will realize EV wasn't really a sustainable model (after they've forced ICE out) due to scarcity of materials, cost of electricity, etc. (Google Tesla or Rivian Battery Shortage) and you will see even the top EV companies don't think the world can support the current 1-2 car household demand using the Earths existing rare minerals and metals.

We will see car ownership become very expensive once again with only the very rich owning vehicles. The rest will summon self-driving EV vehicles owned, maintained, and charged by companies through an Uber like model for A-to-B use. EV cars will costs hundreds of thousands of dollars but will operate 24/7 like aircraft and be a great profit model for new businesses. They will be limited to speed limits and the only fun you will have in the future is visiting theme park like tracks where you will (like go karts) get to drive around in retro or refitted ICE cars or unrestricted EV cars. The average person has two vehicles in the driveway, likely financed/leased spending >$1,000 a month on payments, maintenance, fuel, insurance, etc. That's about $30 a day -- in the future it will just cost you $30-40 a day to get to work, shopping, friends, etc. through a rented on-demand EV.

Car culture dies within the next generation. It's easy to see when you look in plain sight.

https://www.repairerdrivennews.com/...-shortage-of-ev-battery-production-materials/

“Put very simply, all the world’s cell production combined represents well under 10% of what we will need in 10 years,” Scaringe said while giving reporters a tour of the company’s plant in Normal, Illinois, according to the WSJ. “Meaning, 90% to 95% of the supply chain does not exist.”

The WSJ reports demand for lithium-ion batteries has surged to 400-gigawatt hours in 2021, up from 59-gigawatt hours in 2015, and it’s expected to jump another 50% in 2022, based on data the publication got from Benchmark Mineral Intelligence.

Scaringe said shortages will occur in the mining and processing of raw materials as well as in building the battery cells. The semiconductor shortage when compared to material shortages for the production of batteries is “a small appetizer to what we are about to feel on battery cells over the next two decades,” he said."

https://www.businessinsider.com/no-one-will-own-a-car-in-the-future-2017-5

"I’m confident that the percentage of people who are driving their own car everywhere will go down," Andrew Salzberg, Uber's head of transportation policy, previously told Business Insider.

Other legacy automakers, like GM and Ford, have their own driverless, ride-share initiatives as well.

The authors of the study believe that parking will eventually become obsolete, so cities will need to rethink planning and road infrastructure decisions.

"We are on the cusp of one of the fastest, deepest, most consequential disruptions of transportation in history,” Seba said in a press release. "But there is nothing magical about it. This is driven by the economics."

Last edited:

Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I mean, Ford knew the standards were going to change. They will probably ping pong back and forth depending on which party is in charge. I guarantee they already had a contingency plan and likely have enough EV credits to offset the 5.0.
Standards changing is one thing. Going up 26% is quite another. Usual increases were 1%-2% annually. There is no contingency plan for a 26% bump over 3 years.

Not sure what you mean by "EV credits". They have one EV.

And FYI, this isn't something the next administration can change before it's implemented.

The first 8% is due in 2024, the 2nd 8% is due in 2025, and the last 10% is due in 2026. That means, with all that goes into automotive design, engineering and production planning, that 26% will have to be achieved during the current administration.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Car culture dies within the next generation. It's easy to see when you look in plain sight.

"We are on the cusp of one of the fastest, deepest, most consequential disruptions of transportation in history,” Seba said in a press release. "But there is nothing magical about it. This is driven by the economics."
I agree with your dark forecast. Who knows exactly how it plays out, but I don't know how I it has a happy ending.

Cars were always inconvenient for authoritarians, which is why we see/saw authoritarian governments legislate them into extravagance. They provide too much freedom and too much autonomy. How is a government meant to function correctly with a wildcard like personal transportation present? Over the last 12-18 months, there has been a hell of a big migration of people in the US which was a product of local responses to Covid. Regardless of your feelings on the matter, could or would that have happened without easy access to personal transportation? Probably not. Why would a government want a people that mobile? It makes tax and budget projections too difficult to predict. Who would want that?

In a different thread, people are discussing that young people are no longer getting their licenses when it's available. People are waiting 15 years to get licensed to drive. These people want to be told where to go and how to do it. They don't want the responsibility of their own vehicle. They've been convinced they're killing polar bears by driving and they want no part in that. I can be critical of this trend, but that misses the point. Things are changing, whether I believe it's for the better or not.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
That's a singular example. There will always be exceptions to the rule.

In comparison to 20, 40 or 60 years ago, teens today have a small fraction of the interest in cars and driving.

I have friends with teens, few of them have the slightest interest in getting their license.

When was the last real "car" movie that was actually successful??? 2001? Or am I forgetting some movie since F&F?
Maybe it is a local thing. I have 5 kids (youngest is 16) and all of them wanted or want their license asap. Same for their HS mates. Almost every senior and many juniors at their HS has a license. Most have their own car that they drive to school in. I did a quick search and found a link. Not sure there has been a slowdown in people getting a license. Does seem the pandemic slowed it down though. My belief based on my kids, their classmates and the data on the web points to no near term slowdown. I am sure in the far future with self driving cars, the death of the drivers license will come to be. I doubt that any of us on this board will see it. Maybe our kids will.
• Number of drivers licensed in the U.S. 2020 | Statista

As for the original point of this thread, I believe the V8 non-hybrid Mustang GT will have more than 460hp before it goes the way of the dodo. I also think the eco-boost Mustang will go hybrid first with the hybrid being more for MPG's than performance (if they go hybrid at all). Not sure what would be more expensive, a true hybrid performance option or full EV. If Ford does hybrid similar to what Ferrari has done to boost performance I would be interested at least. I do think it would be very costly and the Mustang itself would need to shrink quite a bit. My bet is full EV which is sad, but probably cheaper in the long run to produce and definitely higher performance potential.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'll name 2, nissan GTR, Buick Grand National.
2 wrongs don't make a right. Turbos make most cars sound bad. V6s sound bad. Together, even worse.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
opinions are like but holes, everybody's got one and most of 'em stink.
It can be really upsetting when most people have a different opinion than you do.
Sponsored