Sponsored

New Whipple Massive Heat Exchanger w/ Fan Delete

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
No doubt with forced induction inlet temps IAT 1 and manifold temps post blower IAT2 are always important, and anything you can do to reduce or slow the heat and exchange is king. I will be doing this larger heat exchanger this winter, but the biggest improvement I made was sealing my air box from underhood heat and using the Vellosa tech Big Mouth to feed/Ram air into the closed box. It had a dramatic affect on inlet temps IAT1 which in turn feeds the blower and turn into IAT 2. Starting at a lower inlet temp is always important. Before my closed box I would seeing inlet temps street driving rise to 150 or 70 above ambient very fast at idle and slow driving and recovery took a little time. Now my inlet temps take more than 10 minutes to rise 15-20 over ambient and maxes at 25-30'when sitting long periods in heat. I also have a dedicated IAT 2 sensor read through ZT1 and NGauge and can very actual post blower temps. IAT2 moves much slower as the LTR does its thing. FYI, At WOT the AIT2 drops as air movement is now rushing through the system instead of bypassing.
Do you have links to how you sealed yours? I have the open version as my kit was originally a tuner style kit.
Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I got invoice for 4 today so we'll see

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
How do they handle priority with shipments, just by date or by order source? I placed my order direct with them.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Do you have links to how you sealed yours? I have the open version as my kit was originally a tuner style kit.
Yeah but all my pics got scrubbed by Photobucket. Here is what it looks like. I used double bubble and aluminum duck tape. The front part I created a sleave for the snorkel to hit into.
IMG_0834.JPG

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Ok mine doesn't even have a lid, just seals to the hood

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Well guess the little Whipple birdy heard me lol got my tracking today
IMG_4844.GIF

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
:cheers: got tracking 5 min after I said that. Terry and Whipple heard my prayer.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Still nothing here

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Ok mine doesn't even have a lid, just seals to the hood
In my opinion the open element is the worst design for a street car, way too much engine heat getting sucked up into the intake and filter. The panels built around those filters have large gaps so even with the hood closed its sucking in major engine bay heat. The whipple box is only slightly better though as it leaves one entire side and part of the bottom exposed, that's why I complete closed mine and used the Vellosa tech ram air big mouth. All the air now get sucked in from the front and last all the heat sources to include the radiator fan wash and heat exchanger. It made a world of difference in inlet temps.

Edit: I went even further and completely thermal wrapped the inside of the air box as well as the inlet pipe.

By the way it's absolutely maddening trying to post pics here now, photo buckets FUBAR and trying to manage attachments here most all my pics fail to load. https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNNdBEnfY8nGN135oQY1XWu17Z9rcCvgnPfY7-vhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/D...btUubkhiKPaECsNW3oNsXBqPD_8WsqZ5KIpqSotsqd4-I
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipMu4qpwEsxLCeo34Mr8eLkNt8YOr1h3Qva3uEvj
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipNNdBEnfY8nGN135oQY1XWu17Z9rcCvgnPfY7-v

Last edited:

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Anyone know the full fill amount from empty with the new exchanger? Also anyone still using any additives?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
Picked up mine today from Whipple HQ; I'm sure others are ready to go out as well, if anyone is still waiting.

thedalejrfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT K3985
Picked up mine today from Whipple HQ; I'm sure others are ready to go out as well, if anyone is still waiting.
Ordered my stage 2, with upgraded heat exchanger about 10 weeks ago. I guess this was the hold up... :clap2:

Ironair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 RR GT PP
Anyone know the full fill amount from empty with the new exchanger? Also anyone still using any additives?
A little over 2 gallons if I remember correctly, maybe 2 1/4.
I added a 1/2 bottle of water wetter.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
So after looking back at some pictures, I realized I installed my larger HX backwards (both outlets facing the driver side) and with the brackets flipped. But it fit perfectly.

With the way I installed it, the lower inlet lines up with the old location of the dual fan heat exchanger (no need for the weird long 180* line running along the bottom), and the upper outlet I used the whipple factory passenger line with 90* bend and went right through the gap between the air filter airbox and the radiator, and up to the lower manifold of the blower.

I didnt have my whipple installed prior to installing the new heat exchanger so I couldnt really see how it should have been installed to begin with. I plan to leave it this way as I cannot imagine trying to feed the passenger side outlet up around the pulley of the blower like the stock routing calls for, I have large 10AN crossover fuel lines at the front and rear of the fuel rails and it is VERY crowded in that area just under the blower pulley.
whipple HX (1280x960).jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: