2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
By changing your "tire size" using the ProCal tool you are not physically changing the size of your tires. Your speedometer now uses the new size parameter to calculate speed.
Correct. And the car feels much quicker irrespective of the revolutions -per- mile setting. Isn't the tire stuff in the ABS, rather than he ECU now? I think Whipple and Ford were - maybe still are - the only two that can make the adjustment correctly?
Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Anyway -- my first impressions give me hope. I'd wanted to get Pack 2, but there are a couple of things: several people with it here were very vocal about their problems with it, and then there's the availability -- I wanted something that was both safe, and available to enjoy this summer, and without as much work as Pack 3 -- although Pack 3 might be a possibility in the future for me -- but now I'm beginning to think that Pack 1 is a fine stopgap or even final tune for me until I can scrape up enough for a billet OPG, vortec supercharger, and whatever additional supporting modifications I might need.

To sum up factors leading to my choice for Pack 1 over 2:

availability

it's only 8 peak horsepower down from pack 2 -- am I going to feel that? I might already have that to the ground in lighter wheels, driveshaft, and AB exhaust

it's the same 7200RPM cutoff

it's the same claimed 40lb/ft of torque under the curve down low

-- on the street and from a dig, the last two are crucially the most noticeable, and probably give the biggest bump in actual performance gains.

I'm not sure that Pack 1 is *as* worth it for an automatic car -- but for a manual, it's worth it.

Last edited:

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The thing is once you get some, you want more eventually!
Also, several dealers PP 2 in stock, the question is can they match ANF WBL, Levittown, or Tasca's price.

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Keep in mind, the sound of the engine will vary greatly with an open intake. If you're interested in that (I know I am) then pp 2 might be something to consider

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
The thing is once you get some, you want more eventually!
Also, several dealers PP 2 in stock, the question is can they match ANF WBL, Levittown, or Tasca's price.

*sigh* yes... This is why I think the next step is forced induction -- but that's a lot of money to scrape together -- another thought is to get pack 3, but load a Lund tune -- I've heard REALLY good things about that setup -- and then if you have an issue with emissions, the Ford tune is still available to load without making any hardware changes.

Sponsored

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway -- my first impressions give me hope. I'd wanted to get Pack 2, but there are a couple of things: several people with it here were very vocal about their problems with it, and then there's the availability -- I wanted something that was both safe, and available to enjoy this summer, and without as much work as Pack 3 -- although Pack 3 might be a possibility in the future for me -- but now I'm beginning to think that Pack 1 is a fine stopgap or even final tune for me until I can scrape up enough for a billet OPG, vortec supercharger, and whatever additional supporting modifications I might need.

To sum up factors leading to my choice for Pack 1 over 2:

availability

it's only 8 peak horsepower down from pack 2 -- am I going to feel that? I might already have that to the ground in lighter wheels, driveshaft, and AB exhaust

it's the same 7200RPM cutoff

it's the same claimed 40lb/ft of torque under the curve down low

-- on the street and from a dig, the last two are crucially the most noticeable, and probably give the biggest bump in actual performance gains.

I'm not sure that Pack 1 is *as* worth it for an automatic car -- but for a manual, it's worth it.
If you didn't purchase it already, I bought mine through Buy Ford Racing Parts for $399. http://www.buyfordracingfromdpm.com/m-9603-m8/

EDIT, read your post from the previous page, facepalm

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

15s550

My 1st Domestic V8!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT MT82 on 20's with 3.55's
What did your dealership charge for the installation? Any issues with the engine cover? Did you get the new Ford tune?
Dealership charged me $275 straight up. I dropped off my car in the morning, went to work, and picked it up after work. They also completed the recall on the door latches. Since the throttle body went from 80mm to 87mm, I noticed the front of the engine cover was a little off but not bad at all. I'm guessing the the PP2 that I got had the new Ford tune. But I'm not sure how I can verify that.

15s550

My 1st Domestic V8!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT MT82 on 20's with 3.55's
For the guys who had it installed at the dealer, did you need to enter the info on the Ford Performance site, or did you just hand the box over and let the dealer take care of everything? I'll be bringing mine in soon (PP1).
The dealership did all the work. :D

Sponsored

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
*sigh* yes... This is why I think the next step is forced induction -- but that's a lot of money to scrape together -- another thought is to get pack 3, but load a Lund tune -- I've heard REALLY good things about that setup -- and then if you have an issue with emissions, the Ford tune is still available to load without making any hardware changes.
Ford Performance >Lund. Fan boys can call BS but when I see Lund with a corridor of AVL dynos and actual calibration engineers writing those files, not just 'tooning' with DynoJets, maybe, just maybe I'll change my mind. It sounds like your car is a daily driver, you would be much better off with what Ford has written calibration wise.
Also, now that HP Tuners can modify those N/A power pack files, they're avaliable to anyone with HPT. Power Pack 3 will cost me $850 plus two credits on my HPT account AND I can change the transport delay for the O2's to run long tube headers.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
The dealership did all the work. :D
The hardest part was being patient while the software downloaded. Then I had to run out to the car and plug in to populate the VIN, etc. - then back inside to download the tune file. That took more time than the initial tune!

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Ford Performance >Lund. Fan boys can call BS but when I see Lund with a corridor of AVL dynos and actual calibration engineers writing those files, not just 'tooning' with DynoJets, maybe, just maybe I'll change my mind. It sounds like your car is a daily driver, you would be much better off with what Ford has written calibration wise.
Also, now that HP Tuners can modify those N/A power pack files, they're avaliable to anyone with HPT. Power Pack 3 will cost me $850 plus two credits on my HPT account AND I can change the transport delay for the O2's to run long tube headers.

It's not *quite* a daily, but one I want to drive wherever I want, whenever I want, and have zero issues with - thanks for the advice on Lund - I'd heard some of their folks worked for Ford - or partner with them? I've also looked at HPT some - I don't trust myself to make the tweaks: I'm no calibration engineer either. I guess I would seek more torque from the PP3 hardware, more overall power too. I haven't spent enough time driving to make a lot of observations with the pack 1 tune - but wow - I took it out for a drive after the initial tune, before the crank relearn, and revolution-per-mile update, the car was much quicker on the roll, and once I looked down as I was passing some traffic, looked down and went "oops!" When I saw how fast I was going.

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Anyone inside Ford found working with an aftermarket company would be promptly fired. You can be a genius and compressible flow and fluid dynamics and know a lot about ICEs but without the proper tools and DoE software that only OEMs can afford your work isn't on the same level. Kind of like trying to remove a #3 Phillips head with a #1 bit. Can you? Of course! But can you also suffer from the inaccurate sizing.
Full disclosure I'm a test engineer for an OEM, not Ford

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
Anyone inside Ford found working with an aftermarket company would be promptly fired. You can be a genius and compressible flow and fluid dynamics and know a lot about ICEs but without the proper tools and DoE software that only OEMs can afford your work isn't on the same level. Kind of like trying to remove a #3 Phillips head with a #1 bit. Can you? Of course! But can you also suffer from the inaccurate sizing.
Full disclosure I'm a test engineer for an OEM, not Ford

Wouldnt be a problem if they’re ex employees or a good relationship like ROUSH or Whipple
Sponsored