Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
No sound insulation. No radio. No A/C. Springs so stiff that most people said they were too stiff for daily driving. I don't know that much about the Z/28 but those things I think are common knowledge about it. IMO the Z/28 was a "bigger hammer" effort at going fast around a track such as someone might do with their self-modified vehicle. Versus the GT350 was well designed as a great car both on the road and the track... plus it was faster.
Hmmmmm to me that's perfect.
The base R has no AC. No radio, no sound insulation, no rear seat. That's perfect to me. I so badly wanted a R but none were in my area.
Are you saying the z28 is faster around the same track as an R?
Sponsored

xwoodx

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8GT
What makes the z28 more hardcore? Ceramic brakes? Dry sump oil system?
Do you honestly believe the winning difference between the z28 and the R were the R's carbon wheels?

The z28 has more tq and 110 more cubic inches. Not that that means anything. It also has dssv dampers. Yet it still lost to a R.

So the voodoo is not impressive to you over a 5.0? Hmmm let's see.
91 more hp, 29 more tq, more rpm, better heads, intake, cams, compression, rpm range. What kills me about people like you in saying the 5.2 is low on tq compared to a 5.0 is that you're wrong. At the same rpm range the 5.2 makes more tq.
Hardcore by being a terrible daily driver. It made ultimate sacrifices for track times. The GT350 / R is more of a car you can live with.

And yes, the wheels are the difference. It's the biggest difference between the GT350 and GT350r in addition to yanking the rear seat. If the 1le and z fall right between the two and the wheels and rear seat are the major difference wouldn't it stand to reason that a 1le with R wheels, tires and no backseat would at a minimum match the gt350r? Seems like common sense to me.

xwoodx

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8GT
Right? If I had a ZL1, knowing it's a drivers race between the S197 GT500 and Hellcat on the straights I would be like shit i'm suppose to have the latest and greatest. That is GM's straight-line beast and unfortunately, it's not so much of a beast since it's limited from the Z06.

Oh well haha :ford:
Look at it like this. Thr hellcats claim to fame is dragstrip times. The GT350rs claim to fame is track times. The Zl1 at a minimum matches the Hellcat at the strip and it beats the gt350r track times.

In what world is that NOT something to be proud of? I don't like the Camaro, I will never own a 6th generation. But give credit where credit is due and don't be such a blind fanboy making excuses.

xwoodx

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8GT
What makes the z28 more hardcore? Ceramic brakes? Dry sump oil system?
Do you honestly believe the winning difference between the z28 and the R were the R's carbon wheels?

The z28 has more tq and 110 more cubic inches. Not that that means anything. It also has dssv dampers. Yet it still lost to a R.

So the voodoo is not impressive to you over a 5.0? Hmmm let's see.
91 more hp, 29 more tq, more rpm, better heads, intake, cams, compression, rpm range. What kills me about people like you in saying the 5.2 is low on tq compared to a 5.0 is that you're wrong. At the same rpm range the 5.2 makes more tq.
I don't like the 5.2 at all. Sorry man, you don't have to accept it or agree with it. I hate the sound and the torque band. It's no faster than a 455hp Camaro either except maybe 1 or 2mph in the traps.

My comparison was also to the 2018 5.0 which we are hoping will have a nice bump in torque because DI and higher compression are known to do that.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't like the 5.2 at all. Sorry man, you don't have to accept it or agree with it. I hate the sound and the torque band. It's no faster than a 455hp Camaro either except maybe 1 or 2mph in the traps.

My comparison was also to the 2018 5.0 which we are hoping will have a nice bump in torque because DI and higher compression are known to do that.
I bet you still haven't driven one. :)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hmmmmm to me that's perfect.
The base R has no AC. No radio, no sound insulation, no rear seat. That's perfect to me. I so badly wanted a R but none were in my area.
Are you saying the z28 is faster around the same track as an R?
No, the Z is slower and also has a rougher ride. I believe the Z also has tires that will wear out more quickly. And the Z that I saw tested vs. the R was a ringer that made a bunch more HP than they are rated at. It still lost. I think a real production Z would probably lose to a regular GT350.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

The reason it's not as fast is the gearing. Not power. Your not comparing it equal. The 2018 you can't even compare it to. You have no facts on the 2018 5.0.

You're judging two cars you never driven.

xwoodx

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8GT
The reason it's not as fast is the gearing. Not power. Your not comparing it equal. The 2018 you can't even compare it to. You have no facts on the 2018 5.0.

Which is why I said "hoping". I drove a 2016 5.0 and right away felt it was missing bottom end torque (auto 3.55 iirc). It didn't have what I was looking for in power but I believe the 2018 will between the 5.0 upgrades and 10 speed.

xwoodx

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8GT

Both 1le and gt350 have 3.73 gears. On the transmissiom side the gt350 has more aggressive gears. For the z28 it got 3.91, but still less agressive transmission gearing.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Look be honest have u ever driven a GT350? The GT350R has the same engine, same trans but 30 series tires and beat the z28 in track and 1/4 mile.

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Both 1le and gt350 have 3.73 gears. On the transmissiom side the gt350 has more aggressive gears. For the z28 it got 3.91, but still less agressive transmission gearing.
Show me the trans gear ratios for the 1le
The z28 had more tq and rear gearing and still got smoked.

rotnroby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 2500 Denali 2017 H2254 gt350
Im going to Thunderhill Nor-Cal March 17th for a race day,
Bring the dodges, bmw's ,chevy's , ect my gt350 will be there
enough said

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Look be honest have u ever driven a GT350? The GT350R has the same engine, same trans but 30 series tires and beat the z28 in track and 1/4 mile.
There is almost 3 sec in lap time between a gt350tp and a 350R, so there is much more then just tires between the two. Don't forget, the R beat the z28 by a little over a sec and you considered that a good beating, yet the z28 beat the TP by near 2 sec. so what is that called?:shrug:plus your comparing a 6th gen Mustang against a 5 gen z28.:frusty:

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
There is almost 3 sec in lap time between a gt350tp and a 350R, so there is much more then just tires between the two. Don't forget, the R beat the z28 by a little over a sec and you considered that a good beating, yet the z28 beat the TP by near 2 sec. so what is that called?:shrug:plus your comparing a 6th gen Mustang against a 5 gen z28.:frusty:
Well the carbon fiber wheels and suspension tuning is different, as is the exhaust but it might account for a whopping 3-4 horsepower.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Where did I say anything about the gt350 vs the gt350R? I didn't.
Oh yeah you mean like how the z28 was compared to a boss302?
The z28 and GT350 were both sold in 2015

The difference in track times between the track pack and R is...
Weight and tires. That's it.

My car has 305/30 pilot sport cup 2's
With all the rubber suspension bushings replaced with bearings and solid aluminum bushings. R springs, wheels that weigh 1 pound or less than R wheels, with equal weight as a R and I'm certain my car could smoke a R by at least 4+ seconds with the same driver, same day, same track. All for less than what a R cost with markup. The point is the z was over priced. GM proved it with the 1le.
Sponsored