Sponsored

ZL1 vs GT350 head to head next week!

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Yep, true comparison will be Fords supercharged car. I have a good feeling it will put a damper on the ZL1s mojo in every category. Only problem is that it's taking too long to get here.
That's an understatement.

Hello ..... ? Ford .... ?? Anyone awake out there in Dearborn ??
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The Camaro SE was 2 years behind the 350, and so the next SE Mustang will be 2 years behind also. In reality it's only 1.5. The ford will show next year at this time

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
A world??? As in about 2 seconds? As in lighter wheels? As in more wheel? I am ordering an R and have driven one but your view is slightly exagerated.
shocks, shock programming, springs, sway bars, weight, aero

no dog in the fight, I see what your saying, but even randy thought the stock gt350 package was quite a bit "softer".

I think forgelines, tire, and springs / sways, and aero would get you pretty darn close.

Puals prices for Forgelines, are well, amazing.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
shocks, shock programming, springs, sway bars, weight, aero

no dog in the fight, I see what your saying, but even randy thought the stock gt350 package was quite a bit "softer".

I think forgelines, tire, and springs / sways, and aero would get you pretty darn close.

Puals prices for Forgelines, are well, amazing.
It is softer, I agree. But the main difference is the tire/wheel combo. I really was going to keep my 16 until it was Ford announced MY18. Because of this announcement I prefer laying down the extra cash for the R which has everything I was going to do to my car. Sucky part is I had the opportunity to order/purchase an R@MSRP when I ordered my 16. I didn't because of my circumstances then.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
The Camaro SE was 2 years behind the 350, and so the next SE Mustang will be 2 years behind also. In reality it's only 1.5. The ford will show next year at this time
Actually the first gt350 only came out a year before the first ZL1 came out.:cheers:

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I thought the head to head with Probst was 3 seconds between the gt350 TP and R? Here are the results. http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/chuckwalla-valley-raceway

3 seconds is a lot to make up per lap.:cheers:
Yep but comparing a car on PSS vs SC2's is pointless. :p I have driven both and the shorter, much wider and stickier SC2's are worth close to 2 sec a lap for me at Sebring, and I'm no Randy :lol:

Peter

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
I've watched the videos of Randy driving the R and the Track Pack.

When he's driving the R there is not a peep out of him in the audio and it is obvious he is concentrating on squeezing the max performance out of the car. When he's driving the Track Pack he's chatting away and its obvious that he is not putting as much attention into the driving. I'd like to see his Track Pack time if he drove it with the same amount of concentration that he gave to the R.

Sponsored

dsm_mikey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
I am excited to watch this show-down. I have little doubt the ZL1 is going to beat the GT350R...I just don't see how an extra 125 hp and close suspension tuning will not take the win.

GT350R Advantages (Real world performance-Not Feel):

-Lighter weight ~ 220 lbs.
-Better Handling (Marginally-I think it will be close)
-Better Tires / Grip

ZL1 Advantages: (Real world performance-Not Feel)

-More Power (125 HP)
-More Torque (Better response/Lower end)

GT350R / ZL1 Toss Ups:

-Similar Braking

Even though the ZL1 should take the GT350R, I still have no desire for the base ZL1. HOWEVER the new 1LE has me looking. My brother has one on order and I can't wait to drive it at Road America. While I won't sell the R to get the ZL1 1LE, I might add a ZL1 1LE to the garage if it is amazing.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I've watched the videos of Randy driving the R and the Track Pack.

When he's driving the R there is not a peep out of him in the audio and it is obvious he is concentrating on squeezing the max performance out of the car. When he's driving the Track Pack he's chatting away and its obvious that he is not putting as much attention into the driving. I'd like to see his Track Pack time if he drove it with the same amount of concentration that he gave to the R.
That isn't how Motortrend's timed laps work. The actual hotlap time that you see at the end of the video, is the actual best lap that Randy performed. The video you see is never the actual hot lap that is time, they've mentioned this before in how they test cars. They simply overlay the time on a video of a "hot-ish" lap for us to watch.

Haha! I'm just going by what an insider here said man! Said it will get the same DCT as the GT. I was skeptical myself but everything the dude said in the past has been reality. Maybe his source ment the 10 speed auto;)
Wasn't thePill by any chance was it? :D

It would be very cool if it were, but I don't see them putting in a very, very expensive DCT unless they plan on selling the GT500 for more than $80K and in large volumes to make back the money. I imagine they might design their own DCT for the S650, rather than using a sourced unit like in the GT that is also used in the current Ferrari's and McLarens.

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Video of the GT350R at start up, from Jonny Lieberman's IG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTJkP25hgrj/

Can't wait for this MT H2H video to come on-line, even if it's months away. The Ford is the underdog going into this fight for sure, but who doesn't love an underdog?:ford:

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase