N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Buddy of mine just bought a ZL1, that car purchase was well timed we think.
So did my buddy. Believe it or not GM calls this red 'pull me over' LOL. But that toyota grill though :puke:
2udylpg.jpg

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I guess there won't be a camaro suv a Corvette instead.

AADNTMP.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Just like the Mach 1.
Flex.png

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The Z28 is an interesting study and showed that someone in the Warren tech center, there was a beating heart that was able to do the impossible and build a no-compromises Camaro. They pulled out all the stops, Corvette be damned and they made it really as good as possible. Ford really doesn't have that "problem" but on the same regard, the Corvette is why the Camaro was so good. They could take "day old" hardware from the Vette and throw it in the Camaro, and the R&D is effectively shared between the 2 platforms. Ford has the Mustang. That's it. Other than the engines, nothing else comes from the program and almost nothing goes into the program, save for some standard FoMoCo bits like switchgear and so on.

This is really like Ford killing the GT350. And it's a sad day for the performance world. It won't make mustangs better and it won't make them worth more. All it will do is reinforce that there is a waning demand for 2-door pony-car coupes. Lest people forget, The 300ZX died, then the Supra, then the RX7, then the 3000GT VR. Yes, a lot had to do with the yen getting out of control inflation, but nevertheless the same line of thinking will have here.

Less competition = less incentive to innovate = less bang for the buck.

Even though they are not the right car for me, I celebrate the Miata and the FRS/BRZ/86 because they are keeping the 2-door coupe body style alive and (relatively) affordable to kids. Kids that later get a better job and want to buy a step up, such as the more powerful/capable 2-door coupes.

qbnlynx

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp2
The Z28 is an interesting study and showed that someone in the Warren tech center, there was a beating heart that was able to do the impossible and build a no-compromises Camaro. They pulled out all the stops, Corvette be damned and they made it really as good as possible. Ford really doesn't have that "problem" but on the same regard, the Corvette is why the Camaro was so good. They could take "day old" hardware from the Vette and throw it in the Camaro, and the R&D is effectively shared between the 2 platforms. Ford has the Mustang. That's it. Other than the engines, nothing else comes from the program and almost nothing goes into the program, save for some standard FoMoCo bits like switchgear and so on.

This is really like Ford killing the GT350. And it's a sad day for the performance world. It won't make mustangs better and it won't make them worth more. All it will do is reinforce that there is a waning demand for 2-door pony-car coupes. Lest people forget, The 300ZX died, then the Supra, then the RX7, then the 3000GT VR. Yes, a lot had to do with the yen getting out of control inflation, but nevertheless the same line of thinking will have here.

Even though they are not the right car for me, I celebrate the Miata and the FRS/BRZ/86 because they are keeping the 2-door coupe body style alive and (relatively) affordable to kids. Kids that later get a better job and want to buy a step up, such as the more powerful/capable 2-door coupes.

I hope they don't go the way of the dinosaurs but it sure does look that way. Sad news for auto enthusiasts. At least for american ones. Hopefully it'll just take a few years off and be reintroduced. Hopefully not as ugly next time around lol

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Z28 is an interesting study and showed that someone in the Warren tech center, there was a beating heart that was able to do the impossible and build a no-compromises camaro.
The problem is that besides not being able to see out of it and the center AC vents freezing your belly button 99% of the people buying cars don't want to drive a track car as a every day car.

This is really like Ford killing the GT350. And it's a sad day for the performance world.
I'd say in ten years there won't be any more pony cars. Declining sales and the public buying preference for SUV's and trucks will kill them.

False primus example 2007 GT500 500hp no competition

Last edited:

Sponsored

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Fans are people that will buy your car regardless. They don’t care about the bad sight lines or transformer looks. They are not what drive most sales. Rental and impulsive buyers are.

I think Chevy listened to the fans instead of the majority of buyers on this last generation.

Better visibility. No
Significant changes in looks. No
Better interior. No.
Better base performance. Slightly.

Look at any generation change of mustang. Can you confuse the s197 for s550? Hell no. Can’t say that about the Camaro.

They need to get ride of the echo chamber and bring in some fresh sheet talent if they want to save that car. I wonder if the Chevy even understands the problem sometimes.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They need to get ride of the echo chamber and bring in some fresh sheet talent if they want to save that car. I wonder if the Chevy even understands the problem sometimes.
Business as usual at GM buy what we give you.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The problem is that besides not being able to see out of it and the center AC vents freezing your belly button 99% of the people buying cars don't want to drive a track car as a every day car.
Most people that buy the Z28 bought it because they want a track car, and are more than happy to live with the consequences. With the magnetorheological shocks, it is actually capable of being more civilized than a Mustang without them. The ergonomics of the interior is really a personal choice, I don't honestly think many people skip buying the Camaro because of the A/C vents. I will agree with you on the fact it is hard to see out of, so your non-performance-oriented (Bread-and-butter) consumer will probably have a problem with it. Chevrolet should have come out with one of those top-view (See all around) systems to help mitigate that design limitation. I actually like the gunslit look myself, but preferred the tail lights of the mustang better.

I'd say in ten years there won't be any more pony cars. Declining sales and the public buying preference for SUV's and trucks will kill them.
I agree with you almost 100%. The only reason I hesitate in the slightest is the demand for a sporty-looking-car that is cheap and is a convertible. Rental car companies love them because they are cheap to buy in fleets, and because they can upcharge by a significant amount. People buy them over the Miata because they can take their friends to the beach and still use it everyday. Is the take rate enough to keep making them? Probably not enough, hence my agreement that more than likely they will be gone.

I think we can both agree that we hope it's not the case.

False prime example 2007 GT500 500hp no competition
A limited production run doesn't qualify as a demonstrable change. The Mod motor was essentially unchanged from when the Camaro died until 2011, a year after the Camaro re-entered production with a significantly more powerful engine.

One could also argue (I would) that the GT500 was Ford's attempt to lure away Corvette buyers. Ford has never had a direct Corvette competitor, so their answer (If you ask me) has always been a Shelby derivative of the Mustang. To be honest, even the GT500 was not what I would consider a serious engineering change, they took a truck block and threw a blower on it. Don't get me wrong, I liked the GT500 quite a bit and a buddy of mine actually had one, so I'm not dismissing their desirability, but in my book, it was a mere blip in Ford's lackadaisical approach to evolving the mustang in a competition-less market.