XPEL, 3M, Other PPF, NO PPF, CQuartz???

How will you be protecting your GT350?

• XPEL PPF

Votes: 95 46.3%
  • 3M PPF

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other PPF

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • No PPF (Natural paint - protected with traditional wax or polymer)

Votes: 49 23.9%
  • CQuartz or other ceramic type paint sealants (please specify)

Votes: 49 23.9%

• Total voters
OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Yup, that area exactly. You can do the whole thing but due to film wastage (what needs to be cut away) it’s quite a bit more
Sponsored

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I think I have photos on here of my film but not sure

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
@Hack , @CanadianHorseMan , when you say the rear quarters (in front of the rear wheels), is this what you mean? are these the best lines to follow?
Interested as well, have an appointment Sept 16th to get my car done. Doing full front end plus mirrors and door edges. Considering having the top of the rear spoiler and the back panel below it done also. All will be done in Xpel by a very experienced installer.

Just found this link that has the pre cut pieces:
https://www.xpel.com/paint-protecti...rucks/2018/Ford/Mustang/Fastback/Shelby-GT350

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Interested as well, have an appointment Sept 16th to get my car done. Doing full front end plus mirrors and door edges. Considering having the top of the rear spoiler and the back panel below it done also. All will be done in Xpel by a very experienced installer.
very good, smart. are you going to go around the stripes and leave them uncovered?

i'm also thinking of wrapping my CF rear spoiler but not sure if i need to. but doing basically similar as you overall: full front, probably rear quarters now, etc.

Sponsored

svassh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Performance Blue Metallic
very good, smart. are you going to go around the stripes and leave them uncovered?

i'm also thinking of wrapping my CF rear spoiler but not sure if i need to. but doing basically similar as you overall: full front, probably rear quarters now, etc.
I'm gonna cover the stripes, my installer has > 20 years experience. According to him there with be a width 2 hairs wide next to the strip that will not adhere. I feel like this will be better than a seam that wax and dirt can attach to.

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
No problem covering the stripes. There is a very small gap you see but it's almost unnoticeable. If a stone hits those stripes they will nick. I wouldn't do multiple pieces

gkoutsok

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
Hey all, so I thought I'd update this thread with what I did to my R.

I got new car prep, which includes getting rid of any scuffs, scratches, transfers, etc...car got fully washed, then was coated with PPF, and then washed again, polished, then the entire car was coated with CQuartz Finest (including over the PPF).

The film I went with was 3M Pro Series, due to the fact that from my extended research I determined it was the best option and the most thoroughly tested (3M tests their products for 10 years before using it on any public vehicle)...hence the reason XPEL came out with their product earlier and is actually in litigation with 3M due to them supposedly stealing the formula from 3M...that's another topic altogether and not what this thread is for.

Anyway, 3M Pro Series is in their 5th generation now and is actually a 6 mil (3M) film instead of a 4 mil (XPEL), offering more protection and for me it was at the same price. And I quote my installer "those who say 3M isn't as good as XPEL are a bunch of *****s" haha...anyway, I know XPEL is popular and I'm not debating which is better. I myself don't know and I've never had PPF before, all I can say is I'm super happy with the 3M stuff, and even at 5 inches from the surface I can't even see it...shit, I can't even feel it. The only way I know it's there is if I drag my fingernail on it....it's simply awesome.

Hopefully my info can help others decide. If you can find a reputable installer, who offers both products please ask what they think as 3M Pro Series is harder to apply but the film is supposed to be better and clearer.

My installer has 6 cars, all 3M Pro Series, his wife's car has XPEL. :)

Hi-res photos, if you'd like to see in more detail. These photos are like 4-8mb per photo...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gali5v061pmc0gi/AAD5Xh5amogRSm2fq6Yw-oJsa?dl=0

R
IMG_3507.jpg
IMG_3522.jpg
IMG_3480.jpg
IMG_3483.jpg
L1002484.jpg
L1002499.jpg
L1002516.jpg
L1002519.jpg
L1002513.jpg
L1002515.jpg
L1002528.jpg
L1002508.jpg
L1002504.jpg
Hello, I am in the Toronto area and was wondering who you used as your installer?

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Hello, I am in the Toronto area and was wondering who you used as your installer?
Hey, I used Advance Automotive Films (for PPF) and GTA in Detail (car prep and cQuartz).

They’re in Mississauga, they are a bit more expensive but the job is very very good. You get what you pay for man.

gkoutsok

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gus
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
Hey, I used Advance Automotive Films (for PPF) and GTA in Detail (car prep and cQuartz).

They’re in Mississauga, they are a bit more expensive but the job is very very good. You get what you pay for man.
Did you do full ppf install, if not what areas did you cover?

Sponsored

O-H-5-0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350; 2016 F-150
Full front hood and fenders, bumper, rocker panel, partial back quarter panels (impact area in front of the back wheels) — this area has many impacts highly recommended.

I will get people arguing with me but I’ve come to the conclusion that people who tell you not to get PPF have never had it or have had someone do a shitty job. I just bought a golf r for a daily driver (and for winter driving) and yes, it’s going straight to the ppf guy before I even drive it.
This is the first vehicle I’ve owned that I had film applied. After having it on the I really wish I had put it on at least the hood of the F150. The truck is white, but I hate washing it by hand as I see all of the paint chips. Damn Ohio roads and winter :curse:

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I was thinking of doing PPF over stripes. Hoping it will keep the stripes from feeding and also keep red paint from oxidizing

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I was thinking of doing PPF over stripes. Hoping it will keep the stripes from feeding and also keep red paint from oxidizing
Well if your entire car is red that means you would have to get film on the entire car which will be quite expensive.

Best to do film on the front quarter panels, hood and bumper and do ceramic coating (like CQuartz) on the rest.

as I said earlier...I’ve had no regrets putting it over the stripes

Amacron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Well if your entire car is red that means you would have to get film on the entire car which will be quite expensive.

Best to do film on the front quarter panels, hood and bumper and do ceramic coating (like CQuartz) on the rest.

as I said earlier...I’ve had no regrets putting it over the stripes

I have a race red and did PPF the entire front plus had them PPF the spoiler and the rear deck plate. . I also had them do just the stripes in stealth
153B546C-5811-4F35-8FE7-3905C560323F.jpeg
Sponsored