x-pipe question

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I have a FRPP x-pipe I'm waiting to install. A coworker with some dealership connections just told me that this could cause the CEL to come on unless I was tuned -- I do realize that I could lose a little bottom end, and gain some top end, but I really didn't think that I'd have any problems at all with it. He says that relieving the backpressure without a tune would cause the engine to run rich, and cause a CEL? Is there anyone who has done work to their exhaust, and still doesn't have a tune?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have a FRPP x-pipe I'm waiting to install. A coworker with some dealership connections just told me that this could cause the CEL to come on unless I was tuned -- I do realize that I could lose a little bottom end, and gain some top end, but I really didn't think that I'd have any problems at all with it. He says that relieving the backpressure without a tune would cause the engine to run rich, and cause a CEL? Is there anyone who has done work to their exhaust, and still doesn't have a tune?
Nope. A/F mix is primarily determined by what the MAF sends the PCM. The PCM goes to closed loop control under light load conditions for emissions purposes, where it also uses the O2 sensor as a feedback device (amount of oxygen in the exhaust will tell you how much was used in combustion, as it already read how much came in through the intake).

On the S197 this might be true as many of the X or H pipes also deleted the cats. On our car the crossover is after the cats, so no effect.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
^ exactly...all of our emissions devices are forward of where the X (or H) pipe would reside so it's of no consequence.

jeffrt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium - Magnetic
Just put one on my GT this weekend. No codes.
Sponsored